My otherwise secular mother is driving me nutts!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2015, 10:40 AM
My otherwise secular mother is driving me nutts!
I've told my mom over and over that I don't believe in God when the topic comes up. She is not religious in the least, and raised my sister and I totally secular. Basically, all of her practices were irreligious, so if you assumed she was an Atheist, you couldn't be blamed for it. She was always saying how stupid religion was, and pushed her pro-abortion views on us from a young age.

She's been difficult. I think in her time, the word "atheist" was just a dirty word.

Last night, she told me she wanted to buy me this bracelet for Christmas. She showed it to me. I thought it would be like a watch or something. It had a huge cross on it, with a Bible verse on the back of the cross.

I'm very annoyed. She never would have done this before she knew I am an atheist. But she just can't accept it. She can't tell me why God is real, all she can do when we discuss is get offended by my beliefs and defensively declare "Well, I believe in God, prayer, angels, etc." It's ridiculous.

My mom's beliefs are nonsense that she makes up, but I don't tell her that. It's just hard, because as I've said before, I don't feel I have a choice in Atheism. Sometimes I would really like to be religious, but I can't believe. It's not the easiest thing for me. But she doesn't understand this at all, or even try to.

I can't wait to move back to my dorm room. Ugh.

This was more of a rant. I'm very annoyed. My family drives me crazy.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like FreeThinker1994's post
16-12-2015, 10:47 AM
RE: My otherwise secular mother is driving me nutts!
(16-12-2015 10:40 AM)FreeThinker1994 Wrote:  I've told my mom over and over that I don't believe in God when the topic comes up. She is not religious in the least, and raised my sister and I totally secular. Basically, all of her practices were irreligious, so if you assumed she was an Atheist, you couldn't be blamed for it. She was always saying how stupid religion was, and pushed her pro-abortion views on us from a young age.

She's been difficult. I think in her time, the word "atheist" was just a dirty word.

Last night, she told me she wanted to buy me this bracelet for Christmas. She showed it to me. I thought it would be like a watch or something. It had a huge cross on it, with a Bible verse on the back of the cross.

I'm very annoyed. She never would have done this before she knew I am an atheist. But she just can't accept it. She can't tell me why God is real, all she can do when we discuss is get offended by my beliefs and defensively declare "Well, I believe in God, prayer, angels, etc." It's ridiculous.

My mom's beliefs are nonsense that she makes up, but I don't tell her that. It's just hard, because as I've said before, I don't feel I have a choice in Atheism. Sometimes I would really like to be religious, but I can't believe. It's not the easiest thing for me. But she doesn't understand this at all, or even try to.

Sometimes all you can do is let them buy you the present, then hock it for something you really want.

When she asks about the bracelet show her what you traded it for, I’m pretty sure that will be the last religious gift you’ll ever get. Tongue

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
16-12-2015, 11:05 AM
(16-12-2015 10:40 AM)FreeThinker1994 Wrote:  I've told my mom over and over that I don't believe in God when the topic comes up. She is not religious in the least, and raised my sister and I totally secular. Basically, all of her practices were irreligious, so if you assumed she was an Atheist, you couldn't be blamed for it. She was always saying how stupid religion was, and pushed her pro-abortion views on us from a young age.

I am In no way telling you what to do but if this situation were mine I would ask that she not give me the bracelet because you would not be able to wear it. Though you would treasure her gift of love no matter what, you would feel dishonest in wearing it and the conflict between your ethics and your desire not to hurt her feelings would shadow the gift with concern of disappointing her.

If she offers it to you anyway, then put it in a drawer without guilt as you gave her every chance to gift you love and not control.

Now, that's me and not everyone feels the same. You need to do what is right for you. Bare in mind that though she may not be religious she still may be fearful of your atheism because of it's cultural and social obstacles.

Peace Shy

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
16-12-2015, 11:08 AM
I would return it and buy an FSM bracelet like this one: Tongue

[Image: $_35.JPG]

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
16-12-2015, 11:40 AM
Buy her one of these.

[Image: tumblr_m5f383Fj0h1qakzugo1_1280.jpg]

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
16-12-2015, 11:53 AM
Let her buy the bracelet. If that is what she wants, I don't see why not. As an atheist, non of those things bothers me anymore. You don't have to wear it, just accept it as a gift from your mother.

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like izel's post
16-12-2015, 11:57 AM
edit...I really misunderstood what was said. Sorry.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
16-12-2015, 07:32 PM
Ok so she is the nominal theist, but can't deal with atheists. Since she doesn't seem to respond to conversations, then buy her a red A pin. Unfortunately TTA doesn't have the zapf font, but you get the picture, the action is exactly what she is doing to you. Come on mom, show support for your son the atheist. Wear the scarlet letter with me. No? You won't? Well then I have no use for this bracelet with a Roman torture instrument on it.

OK, maybe you don't have to be so in her face with it, but it does feel good to fantasize sometimes.
[+] 3 users Like Iñigo's post
17-12-2015, 08:10 AM

I don't even understand why she cares to push her marginally there version of religious beliefs on you in the first place?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
17-12-2015, 09:10 AM
(16-12-2015 10:40 AM)FreeThinker1994 Wrote:  ... She is not religious in the least, and raised my sister and I totally secular... She was always saying how stupid religion was...

... She can't tell me why God is real, all she can do when we discuss is get offended by my beliefs and defensively declare "Well, I believe in God, prayer, angels, etc."

Sorry, but I'm confused by these self-contradictory claims. Huh

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.