My otherwise secular mother is driving me nutts!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2015, 09:14 AM
RE: My otherwise secular mother is driving me nutts!
(16-12-2015 10:40 AM)FreeThinker1994 Wrote:  I've told my mom over and over that I don't believe in God when the topic comes up. She is not religious in the least, and raised my sister and I totally secular. Basically, all of her practices were irreligious, so if you assumed she was an Atheist, you couldn't be blamed for it. She was always saying how stupid religion was, and pushed her pro-abortion views on us from a young age.

She's been difficult. I think in her time, the word "atheist" was just a dirty word.

Last night, she told me she wanted to buy me this bracelet for Christmas. She showed it to me. I thought it would be like a watch or something. It had a huge cross on it, with a Bible verse on the back of the cross.

I'm very annoyed. She never would have done this before she knew I am an atheist. But she just can't accept it. She can't tell me why God is real, all she can do when we discuss is get offended by my beliefs and defensively declare "Well, I believe in God, prayer, angels, etc." It's ridiculous.

My mom's beliefs are nonsense that she makes up, but I don't tell her that. It's just hard, because as I've said before, I don't feel I have a choice in Atheism. Sometimes I would really like to be religious, but I can't believe. It's not the easiest thing for me. But she doesn't understand this at all, or even try to.

I can't wait to move back to my dorm room. Ugh.

This was more of a rant. I'm very annoyed. My family drives me crazy.
Get her something atheistic. Maybe just a bumper sticker for her car, but apply it yourself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-12-2015, 09:15 AM (This post was last modified: 17-12-2015 09:19 AM by musicharmony87.)
My otherwise secular mother is driving me nutts!
(16-12-2015 10:47 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(16-12-2015 10:40 AM)FreeThinker1994 Wrote:  I've told my mom over and over that I don't believe in God when the topic comes up. She is not religious in the least, and raised my sister and I totally secular. Basically, all of her practices were irreligious, so if you assumed she was an Atheist, you couldn't be blamed for it. She was always saying how stupid religion was, and pushed her pro-abortion views on us from a young age.

She's been difficult. I think in her time, the word "atheist" was just a dirty word.

Last night, she told me she wanted to buy me this bracelet for Christmas. She showed it to me. I thought it would be like a watch or something. It had a huge cross on it, with a Bible verse on the back of the cross.

I'm very annoyed. She never would have done this before she knew I am an atheist. But she just can't accept it. She can't tell me why God is real, all she can do when we discuss is get offended by my beliefs and defensively declare "Well, I believe in God, prayer, angels, etc." It's ridiculous.

My mom's beliefs are nonsense that she makes up, but I don't tell her that. It's just hard, because as I've said before, I don't feel I have a choice in Atheism. Sometimes I would really like to be religious, but I can't believe. It's not the easiest thing for me. But she doesn't understand this at all, or even try to.

Sometimes all you can do is let them buy you the present, then hock it for something you really want.

When she asks about the bracelet show her what you traded it for, I’m pretty sure that will be the last religious gift you’ll ever get. Tongue

He could trade it for a Satanic bible....I'm totally kidding!

But I understand where he is coming from. Whenever my dad talks about God and all he can do I just say whatever in my mind. Sometimes I even laugh later because it sounds silly. There really is no way to get away from it. Which sucks. Just hang in there. Hugs.
17-12-2015, 09:16 AM
(17-12-2015 08:10 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

I don't even understand why she cares to push her marginally there version of religious beliefs on you in the first place?

Probably she (the Mother) doesn't either
17-12-2015, 07:24 PM
(16-12-2015 10:40 AM)FreeThinker1994 Wrote:  Last night, she told me she wanted to buy me this bracelet for Christmas. She showed it to me. I thought it would be like a watch or something. It had a huge cross on it, with a Bible verse on the back of the cross.

Tell her you want one of these bracelets instead. ... And start wearing a burka.

[Image: bracelet.jpg]

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post