My paleo homefries.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-05-2014, 08:14 PM
RE: My paleo homefries.
(27-05-2014 07:39 PM)Dom Wrote:  The TYPES of things they ate were meat (any meat they could get), fish, fowl, roots, berries, fruit, veggies and whatever they could find.

Just so.

(as indeed we are, to an extent incommensurate with first-world food security, evolved to eat whatever we can find)

(27-05-2014 07:39 PM)Dom Wrote:  Personally, I don't follow paleo, but I do eat real food as opposed to processed food that is full of chemicals which we did not evolve to process.

But that's the thing. "Chemicals"? "Processed"? Those are incredibly vague and ill-defined words.

(27-05-2014 07:39 PM)Dom Wrote:  Eating what your body spent a zillion years evolving to process is just common sense. Avoiding stuff we are not designed to eat probably saves me from a lot of health issues caused by improperly and insufficiently researched and tested ingredients used in just about everything these days.

I'm not denying the general veracity of such statements (in fact I just affirmed them!) but it's real easy to overstate.

Like the paleo cranks do. Where the thought process seems to be more, "if too much grain is bad for me, then none at all will be good for me!"

(27-05-2014 07:39 PM)Dom Wrote:  And yes, any sane person will advise you to eat real food. That is basically what paleo is about. You would be surprised how many people don't ever eat real food, convenience foods are so much more - erm - convenient.

I might well be surprised. But so far as I've studied that's not a choice, it's a socio-economic limitation.

It's true that "how to eat healthy" is advice that hasn't substantially changed in decades.

(27-05-2014 07:39 PM)Dom Wrote:  I eat cheese and grains however.

Making your diet, not coincidentally, "paleo" in precisely no way whatsoever.
Wink

(27-05-2014 07:39 PM)Dom Wrote:  I eat everything i can find that is not processed and has no chemicals or sugar added. And I am not religious about it, it's just my everyday base diet.

Sure; again, "processed" and "chemicals" are extremely vague terms. And again, "eat a greater variety of less refined foods" is the boilerplate recommendation of any dietician.

(27-05-2014 07:39 PM)Dom Wrote:  I think paleo takes it a couple of steps too far, but compared to most of the diets people will follow to lose weight and such, paleo is a great diet.

Eh. So far as I can tell it's just another buzzword-happy unscientific pop fad. It's dumb and it's inaccurate - it certainly has nothing to do with actual paleolithic food practices. So there's that.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-05-2014, 08:19 PM
(27-05-2014 08:14 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(27-05-2014 07:39 PM)Dom Wrote:  The TYPES of things they ate were meat (any meat they could get), fish, fowl, roots, berries, fruit, veggies and whatever they could find.

Just so.

(as indeed we are, to an extent incommensurate with first-world food security, evolved to eat whatever we can find)

(27-05-2014 07:39 PM)Dom Wrote:  Personally, I don't follow paleo, but I do eat real food as opposed to processed food that is full of chemicals which we did not evolve to process.

But that's the thing. "Chemicals"? "Processed"? Those are incredibly vague and ill-defined words.

(27-05-2014 07:39 PM)Dom Wrote:  Eating what your body spent a zillion years evolving to process is just common sense. Avoiding stuff we are not designed to eat probably saves me from a lot of health issues caused by improperly and insufficiently researched and tested ingredients used in just about everything these days.

I'm not denying the general veracity of such statements (in fact I just affirmed them!) but it's real easy to overstate.

Like the paleo cranks do. Where the thought process seems to be more, "if too much grain is bad for me, then none at all will be good for me!"

(27-05-2014 07:39 PM)Dom Wrote:  And yes, any sane person will advise you to eat real food. That is basically what paleo is about. You would be surprised how many people don't ever eat real food, convenience foods are so much more - erm - convenient.

I might well be surprised. But so far as I've studied that's not a choice, it's a socio-economic limitation.

It's true that "how to eat healthy" is advice that hasn't substantially changed in decades.

Wink

(27-05-2014 07:39 PM)Dom Wrote:  I eat everything i can find that is not processed and has no chemicals or sugar added. And I am not religious about it, it's just my everyday base diet.

Sure; again, "processed" and "chemicals" are extremely vague terms. And again, "eat a greater variety of less refined foods" is the boilerplate recommendation of any dietician.

(27-05-2014 07:39 PM)Dom Wrote:  I think paleo takes it a couple of steps too far, but compared to most of the diets people will follow to lose weight and such, paleo is a great diet.

Eh. So far as I can tell it's just another buzzword-happy unscientific pop fad. It's dumb and it's inaccurate - it certainly has nothing to do with actual paleolithic food practices. So there's that.

Damned physicist

[Image: smbc_scienceruiningeverything.jpg.CROP.o...iginal.jpg]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
28-05-2014, 04:15 AM
(27-05-2014 08:14 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Eh. So far as I can tell it's just another buzzword-happy unscientific pop fad. It's dumb and it's inaccurate - it certainly has nothing to do with actual paleolithic food practices. So there's that.

Elaborate how it is unscientific? Do you mean not actually eating like the ancient human, or that it doesn't work in general? And I think they call it that because not on what they eat but the food groups eaten. Like despite the animals being domesticated it is still meat, despite fruit and vegetables evolving, they are still fruits and vegetables. Really it is more avoiding demon foods like grain and legumes.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
28-05-2014, 04:41 AM
Sweet potatoes? Sadcryface Rainbow Vomit

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
28-05-2014, 07:10 AM
(27-05-2014 08:14 PM)cjlr Wrote:  

Just so.

Wink

Pffft! I never said I was eating Paleo. I said it was more sensible than most fad diets. Eating grains in the form of empty carbs laced with sugar or empty calories isn't smart anyway, and even people who eat "real food" do that.

Thing is, once you name a diet, it tends to become a fad and gets carried too far. So, yes, you are right about buzzword happy diets.

I am not going to define "processed" and "chemicals" because if you have common sense you know what I am talking about. You can take this debate and definition thing too far too when you have a normal conversation with a friend.

All I am saying is that Paleo is not a bad diet, it is not controversial like vegan, it takes into account that we are omnivores. It will cause weight loss if you follow it closely, and it will maintain weight once you reach what is normal for your body type. Health-wise, it by far beats diets that allow no fat or decimate the calorie intake or decimate the carb content. It can be followed indefinitely without causing any deficiencies. It doesn't shock the body into losing weight, it doesn't leave out anything you actually need.

So, if you are shopping around for some eating regimen because you need some guidelines to follow that will give you good nutrition while helping shed excessive weight, it's not a bad choice. I don't care what it's called or if the name fits.

Like any diet that is mass marketed, it has some built in things that set it apart from others, and while I think these unnecessary, in this case they are not harmful.

If you are going to pick a diet to follow because you feel you need one to avoid pitfalls in your eating habits, you have to ask yourself first if you can enjoy it. If not, it's useless because you won't see it through. Then you need to ask if it is nutritionally sane, if it isn't, you'll develop cravings plus compromise your health. Paleo works on both of these levels so it's one of the better "diets" out there.

Add in that we really don't know all that much about nutrition as yet, a diet that allows a wide variety of natural foods is a pretty safe bet.

You can't just poo-poo all diets, there are a ton of people who sorely need eating guidelines. You are not doing them any favors by discarding every diet out there, many people don't have the initiative to find their own best way of eating and need an eating plan. Of all the better known formal diets, Paleo is one of the more sensible approaches to weight loss while maintaining good nutrition and avoiding deprivation. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
28-05-2014, 08:52 AM
(28-05-2014 07:10 AM)Dom Wrote:  Pffft! I never said I was eating Paleo. I said it was more sensible than most fad diets. Eating grains in the form of empty carbs laced with sugar or empty calories isn't smart anyway, and even people who eat "real food" do that.

Thing is, once you name a diet, it tends to become a fad and gets carried too far. So, yes, you are right about buzzword happy diets.

Well, sure, but one doesn't need a fad diet to appreciate that empty calories are not good for you.

(28-05-2014 07:10 AM)Dom Wrote:  I am not going to define "processed" and "chemicals" because if you have common sense you know what I am talking about. You can take this debate and definition thing too far too when you have a normal conversation with a friend.

Of course I have some idea, and it's not unsound, but on the other hand, it's still just not that meaningful. Few words see the abuse that "chemical" does!

(28-05-2014 07:10 AM)Dom Wrote:  All I am saying is that Paleo is not a bad diet, it is not controversial like vegan, it takes into account that we are omnivores. It will cause weight loss if you follow it closely, and it will maintain weight once you reach what is normal for your body type. Health-wise, it by far beats diets that allow no fat or decimate the calorie intake or decimate the carb content. It can be followed indefinitely without causing any deficiencies. It doesn't shock the body into losing weight, it doesn't leave out anything you actually need.

So, if you are shopping around for some eating regimen because you need some guidelines to follow that will give you good nutrition while helping shed excessive weight, it's not a bad choice. I don't care what it's called or if the name fits.

I don't think that's really true, though. The faddish element is the dominant one, in any popular media I've seen. People understandably look for shortcuts and absolutes, and that's the problem.

That sounds kind of trite, but I don't mean it to.

(28-05-2014 07:10 AM)Dom Wrote:  Like any diet that is mass marketed, it has some built in things that set it apart from others, and while I think these unnecessary, in this case they are not harmful.

If you are going to pick a diet to follow because you feel you need one to avoid pitfalls in your eating habits, you have to ask yourself first if you can enjoy it. If not, it's useless because you won't see it through. Then you need to ask if it is nutritionally sane, if it isn't, you'll develop cravings plus compromise your health. Paleo works on both of these levels so it's one of the better "diets" out there.

Well; to the extent that it agrees with sound nutritional advice, it's good. To the extent that it arbitrarily forbids certain food groups, it's, if not bad per se, certainly odd...

(28-05-2014 07:10 AM)Dom Wrote:  Add in that we really don't know all that much about nutrition as yet, a diet that allows a wide variety of natural foods is a pretty safe bet.

Natural foods includes cereals and pseudocereals.
Tongue

(28-05-2014 07:10 AM)Dom Wrote:  You can't just poo-poo all diets, there are a ton of people who sorely need eating guidelines. You are not doing them any favors by discarding every diet out there, many people don't have the initiative to find their own best way of eating and need an eating plan. Of all the better known formal diets, Paleo is one of the more sensible approaches to weight loss while maintaining good nutrition and avoiding deprivation. Tongue

It's certainly better than a lot of the crap out there, but that doesn't make it good or well-founded.

28-05-2014, 09:25 AM
(28-05-2014 08:52 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(28-05-2014 07:10 AM)Dom Wrote:  You can't just poo-poo all diets, there are a ton of people who sorely need eating guidelines. You are not doing them any favors by discarding every diet out there, many people don't have the initiative to find their own best way of eating and need an eating plan. Of all the better known formal diets, Paleo is one of the more sensible approaches to weight loss while maintaining good nutrition and avoiding deprivation. Tongue

It's certainly better than a lot of the crap out there, but that doesn't make it good or well-founded.

Hmmm, she didn't say it was either. So, there's that. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-05-2014, 09:29 AM
(28-05-2014 09:25 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-05-2014 08:52 AM)cjlr Wrote:  It's certainly better than a lot of the crap out there, but that doesn't make it good or well-founded.

Hmmm, she didn't say it was either. So, there's that. Big Grin

Sure. I was just offering my opinion.
Cool

28-05-2014, 10:10 AM
The fad part is that it does prohibit certain food types arbitrarily - that is what it uses for mass marketing. Also, the name is a bit misleading. Without mass marketing, many people who have found they like it and benefit from eating this way would not be aware of it.

With any diet there will be mass marketing or else it wouldn't be widely accessible. One of the fallacies of our times and over population. No gimmick, no public attention. That doesn't make any diet necessarily bad.

Bottom line, Paleo is a sensible diet, it provides proper nutrition and causes no deprivation or imbalance, and it's palatable and provides a ton of choices for individual tastes. Hence I don't think it's a good idea to discourage people from using it, more likely than not if they are overweight, it beats what they are eating now by miles.

Not sure what I am doing in this thread in the first place, I just kind of got sucked in. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
28-05-2014, 11:27 AM
(28-05-2014 10:10 AM)Dom Wrote:  Not sure what I am doing in this thread in the first place, I just kind of got sucked in. Tongue

It got me at "homefries". Drooling

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post