My parents are making me go to confirmation? (also sort of rant-y)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2013, 10:48 PM
My parents are making me go to confirmation? (also sort of rant-y)
So I'm just coming up to that time were I'd be going to confirmation class at church and getting confirmed in the spring - but clearly, this is an issue. Since, ya know, atheist.

It's been about 2 months since I atheist-outed myself, and things have been weird. At first, my parents practically ignored my existence, then moved on to sarcastic and snarky remarks, and now simply don't take me seriously.

Now, I try very hard to simply not discuss my beliefs when religion comes up in conversation because it would just makes things awkward. My parents aren't comfortable with my atheism just yet and I understand that, but it also gets to the point where my parents simply think I'm "having doubts" and I'm not atheistic but rather just have certain issues with the church (e.g Birth control, gay marriage, etc...), and (my mother especially) take every opportunity to go "You know the whole church isn't like that. Which, yes, I understand, I'm not a rutting idiot.

(Back to point) My parents have told me they are going to make me go to a once a week twelve week confirmation class (which I can't miss even one week of and have to have an "adult Christian mentor I have to spend time with from my church), and at the end of it, if I'm still "having doubts" I won't have to get confirmed. And I have no clue how to get out of this, or how to get it through their skulls that I am not "having doubts" but rather have taken a stance and that my beliefs are between me and the non existent God in his non existent Heaven.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-08-2013, 11:03 PM
RE: My parents are making me go to confirmation? (also sort of rant-y)
You might learn some new things you didnt know Tongue
just talk your way out of it. Explain to them you dont have doubts. Tell them that if you ever consider becoming a christian again,it surely wont be by being forced

KC IS A LIAR!!!! HE PROMISED ME VANILLA CAKES AND GAVE ME STRAWBERRY CAKE Weeping
27-08-2013, 12:19 AM
Jeez. Talk about a lack of faith. I don't trust God to do right by my daughter so it's forced indoctrination all the way.

I'd just argue like fuck all the way. And if you can't get them to give up, at least insist on your choice of mentor. And wtf do they propose to do if you refuse to go ? Or miss a week ? You could call their bluff on that too...
27-08-2013, 04:32 AM
It's a class, right?

Classes have tests ... to test that you are ready.

Go along, learn about the process / methods (all experiences can teach something about yourself or others) then...

... fail the test.

And see if you can convert your mentor to the true path of unbelief.

27-08-2013, 09:52 PM
(27-08-2013 04:32 AM)DLJ Wrote:  It's a class, right?

Classes have tests ... to test that you are ready.

Go along, learn about the process / methods (all experiences can teach something about yourself or others) then...

... fail the test.

And see if you can convert your mentor to the true path of unbelief.

Oh, how I wish. But the people who run the class are the same self-righteous assholes who run the youth group and Sunday school. Stealing the Constitution would be easier than Deconverting these folk.

My worst worst worst nightmare is that the mentor I'll get is the jerk who ran my Sunday school class last year, who just pretty much deserves a punch in the throat. It's the mentor my older brother had, and he like had to meet with him on a semi regular basis and *shudders*

(Also, it's a testless class as far as I know. Failing isn't an option)
27-08-2013, 10:30 PM
Wear one of those

" you pray for me
and i think for you"
shirts to the classes.
Do some research about logical fallacies commonly used by theist,evolution,the big bang,ect and debate the jerk.

KC IS A LIAR!!!! HE PROMISED ME VANILLA CAKES AND GAVE ME STRAWBERRY CAKE Weeping
27-08-2013, 11:38 PM
If you really dislike the guy, don't accept him as a mentor. Insist on someone else... And I still think you should refuse to go... but obviously not in that situation so decision on the ground is something you have to make.