My parents are weird about my atheism...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2014, 03:36 PM
My parents are weird about my atheism...
My Dad is an atheist. Been so all his life. Since I have become more open and outspoken with my atheism, and have become more interested in counter-apologetics, he has sort of not been particularly supportive. He has made demeaning comments, and will complain to me if the topic of religion ever comes up in a conversation, even if my brother is the one who mentions it!
My mother is a Christian. Church of England, about as moderate as you can get, doesn't go to church because she doesn't like any of the churches in the area. She brought me up, never stopped my deconversion to atheism at the age of eight, and never showed any disdain for my arguments with the vicar at the church we went to before we moved home to the area where we are now. She shows some level of support for my anti religious attitude, and it gets to the point where I sometimes forget she is a Christian.

Has anybody else had either of these parents? The atheist-friendly theist, or the anti-firebrand atheist? Why do you think they are like this?

If somebody points out a fallacy, and you call fallacy fallacy, that doesn't mean you are right. That just means you committed the very fallacy you accused your opponent of.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes spinosauruskin's post
09-09-2014, 04:14 PM
RE: My parents are weird about my atheism...
Not wanting to rock the boat...

I think this is true in much of the UK...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 1 user Likes CiderThinker's post
09-09-2014, 04:15 PM
(09-09-2014 03:36 PM)spinosauruskin Wrote:  My Dad is an atheist. Been so all his life. Since I have become more open and outspoken with my atheism, and have become more interested in counter-apologetics, he has sort of not been particularly supportive. He has made demeaning comments, and will complain to me if the topic of religion ever comes up in a conversation, even if my brother is the one who mentions it!
My mother is a Christian. Church of England, about as moderate as you can get, doesn't go to church because she doesn't like any of the churches in the area. She brought me up, never stopped my deconversion to atheism at the age of eight, and never showed any disdain for my arguments with the vicar at the church we went to before we moved home to the area where we are now. She shows some level of support for my anti religious attitude, and it gets to the point where I sometimes forget she is a Christian.

Has anybody else had either of these parents? The atheist-friendly theist, or the anti-firebrand atheist? Why do you think they are like this?

Your dad may not want the topic addressed because it is an item of friction between him and your mom... you are not privy to everything they have going on between them.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
09-09-2014, 06:23 PM
Sounds like he just doesn't want you to get your religious feelings involved with your family. You know, your mom being Christian and all.

There is 7.2 Billion people on the planet, With 7.8 by the end of next year or so.

You have plenty of other people to talk too.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ