My parents think they can take away doubt with God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2015, 06:21 PM
At dinner tonight my step mom was saying that she'd like to pray over me. She thinks that a lot of this doubt is from when I was with my ex. He was a Zen Buddhist. I told my step mom that he wasn't practicing his religion. My parents think that they can take doubt away just by saying a simple prayer to God. They think that they can just rebuke anything. When in reality once you've said or done something it cannot be changed. I tried so hard not to laugh in her face. I found this laughable. I'm not so much angry at this religion anymore. I just find it laughable that people believe this stuff. Too bad they don't know I converted to Atheism. I bet if I told them that they think I would be possessed. ROFL. I should pretend to cough up a demon when they pray over me lol. My parents sometimes.....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes musicharmony87's post
15-12-2015, 06:27 PM
RE: My parents think they can take away doubt with God
Quote:At dinner tonight my step mom was saying that she'd like to pray over me.

Ask her not to drool. Who needs that shit?

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
15-12-2015, 06:29 PM
If you do pretend to be possessed, get some good video. My sympathies about the lunacy.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
15-12-2015, 06:30 PM
Just ignore them. Then quote Matt. 7:1-2 where it tells people not to judge others.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
15-12-2015, 07:24 PM
(15-12-2015 06:21 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  At dinner tonight my step mom was saying that she'd like to pray over me. She thinks that a lot of this doubt is from when I was with my ex. He was a Zen Buddhist.

Well I'll be... Pat Robertson was right; Buddhists are infectious!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
15-12-2015, 09:11 PM
(15-12-2015 06:30 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Just ignore them. Then quote Matt. 7:1-2 where it tells people not to judge others.

I wish I could. Are my parents fundies?

lol to the drool bit.

Free thought, you're right. I'm probably possessed lol. So glad this doesn't really bother me anymore. Before I was so angry now I'm just like lol to it all.
[+] 1 user Likes musicharmony87's post
15-12-2015, 09:18 PM
(15-12-2015 09:11 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  
(15-12-2015 06:30 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Just ignore them. Then quote Matt. 7:1-2 where it tells people not to judge others.

I wish I could. Are my parents fundies?

lol to the drool bit.

The best way to handle Christians is to educate yourself on the Bible. Most of them haven't read it and for the ones that have, they have no idea where the stories came from. Whenever I have a religious person trying to quote Scripture to me, it is usually completely out of context. If you understand the historical reasoning for the passage and can explain it to them--I have found most of them have not a leg to stand on and it actually helps in getting them to see some of the many holes in the Bible and to start asking questions.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
15-12-2015, 09:57 PM
Until you are out of your parents' house, be careful about how you respond to stuff like this. If your father and stepmom become convinced you're demon possessed, they might physically restrain and/or hurt you. My father once tied a woman up in order to exorcise her demons (long story #1), and he drove several hundred of miles to my apartment with a van and a gun and ropes "just in case" I was going on the wrong path (long story #2)…

It's hard, but it sounds as though you're close to living on your own, so you may consider waiting until that actually happens to let them know about your views.

Praying over you is, of course, not going to do much except exert social pressure on you to conform.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
16-12-2015, 08:40 AM
(15-12-2015 09:57 PM)julep Wrote:  Until you are out of your parents' house, be careful about how you respond to stuff like this. If your father and stepmom become convinced you're demon possessed, they might physically restrain and/or hurt you. My father once tied a woman up in order to exorcise her demons (long story #1), and he drove several hundred of miles to my apartment with a van and a gun and ropes "just in case" I was going on the wrong path (long story #2)…

It's hard, but it sounds as though you're close to living on your own, so you may consider waiting until that actually happens to let them know about your views.

Praying over you is, of course, not going to do much except exert social pressure on you to conform.

That deserves a triple YIKES. I consider myself lucky to never have been around religious people that have been that fanatical although I certainly know people that are as delusional as musicharmony's dad and step mother.
16-12-2015, 08:49 AM
My mom believes praying will solve my sister's behavioral issues (she's 17 but throws tantrums like a 6 year old if she doesn't get her way).

Rather than, you know, seeing a therapist or just not invoking my sister's 'bad side?' My mom says she doesn't mean to, but she's often the instigator of their fights, and rather than trying to quell them, she fans the flames, then prays.

I wish one day she'll take off her god glasses and see how ridiculous it is.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/