My parents think they can take away doubt with God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2015, 09:05 AM
(16-12-2015 08:40 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  
(15-12-2015 09:57 PM)julep Wrote:  Until you are out of your parents' house, be careful about how you respond to stuff like this. If your father and stepmom become convinced you're demon possessed, they might physically restrain and/or hurt you. My father once tied a woman up in order to exorcise her demons (long story #1), and he drove several hundred of miles to my apartment with a van and a gun and ropes "just in case" I was going on the wrong path (long story #2)…

It's hard, but it sounds as though you're close to living on your own, so you may consider waiting until that actually happens to let them know about your views.

Praying over you is, of course, not going to do much except exert social pressure on you to conform.

That deserves a triple YIKES. I consider myself lucky to never have been around religious people that have been that fanatical although I certainly know people that are as delusional as musicharmony's dad and step mother.

You don't know the half of it. I wasn't allowed to watch Harry Potter because it was considered demonic. I was sheltered a lot. I ended up watching it anyway and loved it! I saw nothing wrong with it anyway. If you brought dungeon's and dragon's into my home my parents would've flipped! Or even a meesley pentacle. Now I better stop before I get too carried away. lol

I was joking about the demon possessing thing. I will be careful and laugh in private.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes musicharmony87's post
16-12-2015, 09:06 AM
RE: My parents think they can take away doubt with God
(15-12-2015 06:21 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  At dinner tonight my step mom was saying that she'd like to pray over me. She thinks that a lot of this doubt is from when I was with my ex. He was a Zen Buddhist. I told my step mom that he wasn't practicing his religion. My parents think that they can take doubt away just by saying a simple prayer to God. They think that they can just rebuke anything. When in reality once you've said or done something it cannot be changed. I tried so hard not to laugh in her face. I found this laughable. I'm not so much angry at this religion anymore. I just find it laughable that people believe this stuff. Too bad they don't know I converted to Atheism. I bet if I told them that they think I would be possessed. ROFL. I should pretend to cough up a demon when they pray over me lol. My parents sometimes.....

Tell her it was Gods plan you have lost your faith Tongue.
Gods plan is the way that Christians/Muslims/Jews traditionally explain things like cancer, hurricanes and car accidents. If a Theist dies a painful and tragic death because of cancer, she dies as part of Gods plan. Her death has a purpose. God called her home for a reason. Even if something bad happens to a Theist, it is actually good because it is part of Gods plan. So some of us losing our faith may be Gods plan too, we were born doomed Laugh out load

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like izel's post
16-12-2015, 11:40 AM
(16-12-2015 09:06 AM)izel Wrote:  
(15-12-2015 06:21 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  At dinner tonight my step mom was saying that she'd like to pray over me. She thinks that a lot of this doubt is from when I was with my ex. He was a Zen Buddhist. I told my step mom that he wasn't practicing his religion. My parents think that they can take doubt away just by saying a simple prayer to God. They think that they can just rebuke anything. When in reality once you've said or done something it cannot be changed. I tried so hard not to laugh in her face. I found this laughable. I'm not so much angry at this religion anymore. I just find it laughable that people believe this stuff. Too bad they don't know I converted to Atheism. I bet if I told them that they think I would be possessed. ROFL. I should pretend to cough up a demon when they pray over me lol. My parents sometimes.....

Tell her it was Gods plan you have lost your faith Tongue.
Gods plan is the way that Christians/Muslims/Jews traditionally explain things like cancer, hurricanes and car accidents. If a Theist dies a painful and tragic death because of cancer, she dies as part of Gods plan. Her death has a purpose. God called her home for a reason. Even if something bad happens to a Theist, it is actually good because it is part of Gods plan. So some of us losing our faith may be Gods plan too, we were born doomed Laugh out load

lol. I never thought of that before. I don't think I could tell them tho. But if I did tell them I would use the method you mentioned. I wonder what their reaction would be? They would make up excuses and then I would give them the examples you mentioned. lol. Big Grin

I've just been really happy since I became an atheist. I feel like something woke up inside of me. I don't think like a Christian anymore. I think more logically. It feels like a weight was lifted from my mind. I think that my mind can rest now. I been obsessing over this religion for months on end and it would just eat at me. That would make me miserable. I'm so glad my god glasses came off. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes musicharmony87's post
16-12-2015, 11:50 AM
(16-12-2015 11:40 AM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  
(16-12-2015 09:06 AM)izel Wrote:  Tell her it was Gods plan you have lost your faith Tongue.

lol. I never thought of that before. I don't think I could tell them tho. But if I did tell them I would use the method you mentioned. I wonder what their reaction would be? They would make up excuses and then I would give them the examples you mentioned. lol. Big Grin

I've just been really happy since I became an atheist. I feel like something woke up inside of me. I don't think like a Christian anymore. I think more logically. It feels like a weight was lifted from my mind. I think that my mind can rest now. I been obsessing over this religion for months on end and it would just eat at me. That would make me miserable. I'm so glad my god glasses came off. Smile

Of course, a life without of fear that some creepy old man is constantly watching you from the sky, it's quite refreshing Smile

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like izel's post
17-12-2015, 09:20 AM
(16-12-2015 11:50 AM)izel Wrote:  
(16-12-2015 11:40 AM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  lol. I never thought of that before. I don't think I could tell them tho. But if I did tell them I would use the method you mentioned. I wonder what their reaction would be? They would make up excuses and then I would give them the examples you mentioned. lol. Big Grin

Of course, a life without of fear that some creepy old man is constantly watching you from the sky, it's quite refreshing Smile

No more peeping toms. Big Grin
18-12-2015, 10:48 AM
(17-12-2015 09:20 AM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  
(16-12-2015 11:50 AM)izel Wrote:  Of course, a life without of fear that some creepy old man is constantly watching you from the sky, it's quite refreshing Smile

No more peeping toms. Big Grin

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
18-12-2015, 10:54 AM
I see precious little difference between the "powers" Christians believe they possess through their god and the powers little kids have when they're playing wizards and such.
18-12-2015, 11:56 AM
If you're financially independent, you should let them pray over you, and then be like. "Wow... I see clearly now. I believe! I believe! How could I have ever doubted our Lord Odin, who promised to deliver us from Frost Giants. Oh praise Odin! Thank you for showing me your word is true!"

If not, then I wouldn't recommend it.