My parents want to take my daughter to Sunday School

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2011, 11:19 AM
RE: My parents want to take my daughter to Sunday School
I was expelled from Sunday school at age seven. I kid you not. I asked too many questions about Noah's Ark that the teacher and the Rev couldn't answer. I had spent the summer helping my grandfather build a boat from scratch and I knew very well how much work it took. I knew four duded, one hundreds of years old, couldn't build an ark.

OP, if you ask what was taught at the indoctrination and propaganda meeting that morning you would have a chance to correct the screwy ideas being fed to the kid. I wouldn't try my kids to any adult who had imaginary friends, by that's your call.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Hey, TJV.

Quote:I have never actually been to this church, so I'm compelled to visit before I send her there.

I think that's both reasonable and prudent.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
07-10-2011, 04:54 PM
Personally, I see nothing wrong with letting your mom take your daughter to church. It could be a good bonding experience for the two of them, before and after church. My grandma was always so excited to take me to her church. I liked making her happy, and I liked the post church brunch, but I hated the sunday school.

Like others have said, as long as you talk to your daughter afterwards and go over what she retained...being in Sunday school could be a great learning experience for her.

Good luck! Smile

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers.

- Carl Sagan
07-10-2011, 07:32 PM
(07-10-2011 04:54 PM)zaika Wrote:  Personally, I see nothing wrong with letting your mom take your daughter to church. It could be a good bonding experience for the two of them, before and after church. My grandma was always so excited to take me to her church. I liked making her happy, and I liked the post church brunch, but I hated the sunday school.

Like others have said, as long as you talk to your daughter afterwards and go over what she retained...being in Sunday school could be a great learning experience for her.

Good luck! Smile

Agreed, there's no point in hiding her from religion. If you do that, you're just as "indoctrinating/brainwashing" (a childish way to describe the experience) as you believe the church is.

It will one day be up to her to make up her mind, not you or your grandmother. Sunday school is no more an "indoctrination" than any other passing-on-of-values in any other society. From the moment your child was born you were "indoctrinating" them with your values.

Let her go. It'll be good for her and grandma and it will give her a more varied view on life some of the people here seem to think children deserve.

[Image: 81564_gal-1.jpg]
07-10-2011, 08:19 PM

I would not allow this, as this is nothing but brainwashing. Religion is not for kids, it should be a decision that a person makes as an adult when their ability to reason and logic kicks in.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jmoor23's post
07-10-2011, 09:37 PM
(07-10-2011 04:54 PM)zaika Wrote:  Personally, I see nothing wrong with letting your mom take your daughter to church. It could be a good bonding experience for the two of them, before and after church. My grandma was always so excited to take me to her church. I liked making her happy, and I liked the post church brunch, but I hated the sunday school.

Good luck! Smile

I agree, and I have been there with my own daughter. She is a few years older and has come to her own conclusions that she has critically thought about, and I am proud of her. Smile I never once said which is right or wrong, I just told her that people have different beliefs and that she should always try to find out what is as close to the truth as possible. As much as scary brainwashing and indoctrination happens, those are usually closed off scenarios. Give children the tools and see how smart they are! They quickly figure it out and church can be a good example of make believe.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
08-10-2011, 12:07 AM
I would say NO. I have a kid - he's 11 now - & when I think back to those years, I know most things seemed real to him. That's one of the reasons kids' commercials are such a battleground. Marketers say they aren't targeting to kids, while brain researchers say there is a time in a young child's life when they have NO filter for real/unreal. It's just....all real. I started my son on the idea of being skeptical when he was around 6. I must have done my geeky overly scientific explanations before then, but that's when I recall him starting to have some critical thinking skills of his own, & pondering what he heard & saw.

I get the part about it being a bonding time for your mom & daughter, & that you're a broke student who would love some free time. So why can't she hang out with grandma AFTER church? Stay for dinner? Go to the zoo or something? I'm made suspicious that your mom's wish to spend time with her granddaughter coincides with church time.

Yes, you can talk to your daughter afterward, but at this age she certainly won't be thinking critically, so she won't appreciate your balancing feedback, & she herself will be an amazingly unreliable reporter on what she did at church. Also there's that 'it's all reality' thing. She hears one thing at church, (& from her beloved GRANDMOTHER (& little girls love to act in a way that pleases), & something else from you. She is too young to determine the truth & learn to walk that fine line between disagreeing family members.

Every time you say you don't believe, Jesus rips the wings off a fairy. - SkepticalParenting.com
[+] 1 user Likes EvilMomLady's post
08-10-2011, 01:41 AM
(08-10-2011 12:07 AM)EvilMomLady Wrote:  I would say NO. I have a kid - he's 11 now - & when I think back to those years, I know most things seemed real to him. That's one of the reasons kids' commercials are such a battleground. Marketers say they aren't targeting to kids, while brain researchers say there is a time in a young child's life when they have NO filter for real/unreal. It's just....all real. I started my son on the idea of being skeptical when he was around 6. I must have done my geeky overly scientific explanations before then, but that's when I recall him starting to have some critical thinking skills of his own, & pondering what he heard & saw.

I get the part about it being a bonding time for your mom & daughter, & that you're a broke student who would love some free time. So why can't she hang out with grandma AFTER church? Stay for dinner? Go to the zoo or something? I'm made suspicious that your mom's wish to spend time with her granddaughter coincides with church time.

Yes, you can talk to your daughter afterward, but at this age she certainly won't be thinking critically, so she won't appreciate your balancing feedback, & she herself will be an amazingly unreliable reporter on what she did at church. Also there's that 'it's all reality' thing. She hears one thing at church, (& from her beloved GRANDMOTHER (& little girls love to act in a way that pleases), & something else from you. She is too young to determine the truth & learn to walk that fine line between disagreeing family members.

I'm in total agreement, just want to point out that I wasn't saying I needed free time, I just would like her to have some social interaction with kids her age and this might be the only free option. That is literally the only reason that I even thought about sending her in the first place, she doesn't go to daycare or anything like that so she hardly ever gets to have fun with other kiddies.
08-10-2011, 06:26 AM
"Give me a child at age X and he's ours for life."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-10-2011, 09:20 AM
I'll be straight up with you, I don't have kids... and to be honest, I might never have children, but I do have a few thoughts on Sunday school (having attended myself).

It generally depends on what age your daughter is, what she is like, what the church is like, what the Sunday school teacher is like. I think the best thing to do is to go to this church first hand, and sit through a Sunday school class with her. You can get a good idea about what is being taught.... I also suggest talking to the people at church to kinda get a feel for what sort of people attend.

As for your daughter, is she old enough to reason? Is she overly sensitive? Is she a 'people pleaser'? All of these things factor in and more about her Sunday school experience, so in the end my advice for you is to talk to your daughter about it first, and then go to the church with her and the Sunday school lesson as well.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]