My parents want to take my daughter to Sunday School

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-10-2011, 10:06 AM
RE: My parents want to take my daughter to Sunday School
(08-10-2011 01:41 AM)tjv323 Wrote:  
(08-10-2011 12:07 AM)EvilMomLady Wrote:  I would say NO. I have a kid - he's 11 now - & when I think back to those years, I know most things seemed real to him. That's one of the reasons kids' commercials are such a battleground. Marketers say they aren't targeting to kids, while brain researchers say there is a time in a young child's life when they have NO filter for real/unreal. It's just....all real. I started my son on the idea of being skeptical when he was around 6. I must have done my geeky overly scientific explanations before then, but that's when I recall him starting to have some critical thinking skills of his own, & pondering what he heard & saw.

I get the part about it being a bonding time for your mom & daughter, & that you're a broke student who would love some free time. So why can't she hang out with grandma AFTER church? Stay for dinner? Go to the zoo or something? I'm made suspicious that your mom's wish to spend time with her granddaughter coincides with church time.

Yes, you can talk to your daughter afterward, but at this age she certainly won't be thinking critically, so she won't appreciate your balancing feedback, & she herself will be an amazingly unreliable reporter on what she did at church. Also there's that 'it's all reality' thing. She hears one thing at church, (& from her beloved GRANDMOTHER (& little girls love to act in a way that pleases), & something else from you. She is too young to determine the truth & learn to walk that fine line between disagreeing family members.

I'm in total agreement, just want to point out that I wasn't saying I needed free time, I just would like her to have some social interaction with kids her age and this might be the only free option. That is literally the only reason that I even thought about sending her in the first place, she doesn't go to daycare or anything like that so she hardly ever gets to have fun with other kiddies.
Are you in a rural area & this is the only choice? There are drop in day cares where I live. Where you can swing by for a few hours. Get some play time in that way. Also are there playgrounds, as there are in the city? Some moms arrange to all go to the playground at the same time. You could put a sign up at a playground looking for these groups.

Every time you say you don't believe, Jesus rips the wings off a fairy. - SkepticalParenting.com
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2011, 03:23 PM
My mom is an Atheist and her parents were Christians who she allowed to take my brother and me to Sunday School every week. She wasn't very maternal and she was always happy to be rid of us, even though that meant our indoctrination into Christianity. I loved Sunday School. Singing, getting prizes for memorizing Bible verses, Sunday School picnics, the Christmas program, and there was a Dairy Queen right next door, all contributed to our being conditioned to believe God, Jesus, Satan, Heaven and Hell were real. It took years for that brainwashing to be reversed. Do you really want a war with your parents over your child's mind? Do you really want her to believe Satan and Hell exists? I wish my mother had been a good mother who didn't allow her children to be subjected to religous indoctrination.
Find all posts by this user
10-10-2011, 06:03 AM
1. Sunday "school" is not about learning, it is about indoctrination.

2. Do NOT leave your child alone in the company of a priest, pastor or Sunday school teacher
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user