My problem now

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2016, 07:25 PM
My problem now
I still have trouble with the whole religion thing. Not as much but a good bit. I still can't bring myself to claim athiesim fully. I really wish there was a spirit in the sky who actually cared for us. Sometimes when people mention the end, I get shivers and anxious. I haven't learned how to deal with it. While my anxiety isn't nearly as bad.. I still feel like we are minutes away from the return of Jesus, someone I no longer want to believe in. I sometimes feel like I'm in a constant state of "doom"
I saw some article talking about how billy graham says we are in the days of Noah. It didn't hit me so hard but it still hit.
I'm still fearful of going to sleep and waking up in a heaven I don't want to be in, forced to worship..
I see these people talking about the love of God and remember being like that, I sometimes miss it.
But I know, I was blind. I know I was never taught the bad stuff.. And when I was it was in small parts.. Twisted in ways to make it seem ok.
My heart hurts because I feel stuck in between.. In between the need to be free of this and the need to believe in God.
I don't want to be fearful, not even a little bit.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Jewelarcher's post
14-06-2016, 07:34 PM
RE: My problem now
(14-06-2016 07:25 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  I still have trouble with the whole religion thing. Not as much but a good bit. I still can't bring myself to claim athiesim fully. I really wish there was a spirit in the sky who actually cared for us. Sometimes when people mention the end, I get shivers and anxious. I haven't learned how to deal with it. While my anxiety isn't nearly as bad.. I still feel like we are minutes away from the return of Jesus, someone I no longer want to believe in. I sometimes feel like I'm in a constant state of "doom"
I saw some article talking about how billy graham says we are in the days of Noah. It didn't hit me so hard but it still hit.
I'm still fearful of going to sleep and waking up in a heaven I don't want to be in, forced to worship..
I see these people talking about the love of God and remember being like that, I sometimes miss it.
But I know, I was blind. I know I was never taught the bad stuff.. And when I was it was in small parts.. Twisted in ways to make it seem ok.
My heart hurts because I feel stuck in between.. In between the need to be free of this and the need to believe in God.

A "spirit in the sky" is when someone throws a bottle of whiskey in the air.

You really want a god you have to fear? The bible god is not a nice fellow. He makes Hitler look like Alice in Wonderland.

Sorry to tell you again, but there is no evidence of any god. Live your life. This worrying about a fictional character is hurting the only life you will get.

Are you worried about Zeus hitting you with a lightning bolt?

Same thing.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 4 users Like Banjo's post
14-06-2016, 07:37 PM
Don't read Billy Graham. He's a woo peddler. Only read scholarly books and peer-reviewed articles by those who have no hidden agenda.

We are not in the days of Noah. The Bible was written for the people of their time by the people of their time. It was not written for us. People twist the Bible all the time, but if you actually read the Bible in its correct historical context it actually makes a lot more sense.

They have been saying Jesus was going to come back for years and years and years and clearly, Jesus has never come back. Jesus was crucified in 33 AD and Jesus has not returned and we are now in the year 2016. I think it's safe to say he's not coming back at this point Wink

I'm sorry you are struggling. The best thing you can do is read scholarly books and educate yourself against the fairy tales you've been told. I've recommended Bart Ehrman's The Bible: a Historical and Literary Introduction in a few other posts to some other newbies. It is a really good starting point to scholarly biblical history. It will fill in a lot of the woo pieces with factual information. It's very easy to read and understand.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
14-06-2016, 07:42 PM
Don't be fearful. Be angry. You are a victim of child abuse.

[Image: 0bfc33991a5d4c6e5b30b9c685fff0e5.jpg]

Red pill or blue pill. You decide.

And if it helps you sleep more easily... know that you can keep the blue pill in your pocket as a fall-back if reality gets too much for you.

[Image: AAEAAQAAAAAAAAJjAAAAJGE1OGIwODIxLWFmNjIt...MmM1MQ.jpg]

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
14-06-2016, 07:44 PM
(14-06-2016 07:42 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Red pill or blue pill. You decide.

And if it helps you sleep more easily... know that you can keep the blue pill in your pocket as a fall-back if reality gets too much for you.

[Image: AAEAAQAAAAAAAAJjAAAAJGE1OGIwODIxLWFmNjIt...MmM1MQ.jpg]

Can they be Jelly beans instead? Drooling

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
14-06-2016, 07:46 PM
Jennybee suggested what I think is a brilliant approach to this problem in another thread a few hours back. Every time you become fearful of god just mentally replace him with a short leprechaun with a funny voice. Ditto for the entire damned lot of them. You'll want a bunch of flying leprechauns, a firey red leprechaun with a pitchfork, a crucified leprechaun... You get the idea.

It needn't necessarily be leprechauns. Use whatever tickles your funnybone most. Make it as ridiculous as possible. Reprogram the old brainwashing into such complete and utter absurdity that you can't help but break down into a giggle fit when it tries to kick in. The 0th Commandment is Thou Shalt Not Snicker! Violate it frequently.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
14-06-2016, 07:55 PM (This post was last modified: 14-06-2016 07:59 PM by GirlyMan.)
(14-06-2016 07:25 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  I still can't bring myself to claim athiesim fully.

I don't. I am a pretheist. Talk of God is premature. I consider the majority of religions promising a postmortem preservation of identity for eternity as a reward complete and total bullshit. Let's talk about this bullshit mind/body dualism for which many have tried and all have failed looking for a plausible mechanism of action for eternal life. I really have no interest in hearing about your metaphysics if you accept dualism. It is untenable.

#sigh
14-06-2016, 07:59 PM
If Jesus came back today he would cower in terror and wonder why the fuck we needed so damned many crosses. You can just imagine how thrilled he would be to learn that they named his church after the same bastards that tacked him up. The first few weeks of the Rapture would not be kind to the son of god.

In the Beginning two slope-browed cavemen sat around a dying fire at the mouth of their cave. It began to rain. One looked up and *splat* a fat raindrop fell straight into his eye. Shrieking in terror he grabbed a charred stick and fled to the back of the cave where he began to write feverishly about how the end was nigh. The second caveman looked on briefly, grabbed another charred stick and scrawled "FFS!" at the mouth of the cave before setting out to club something edible.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
14-06-2016, 08:02 PM
(14-06-2016 07:34 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 07:25 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  I still have trouble with the whole religion thing. Not as much but a good bit. I still can't bring myself to claim athiesim fully. I really wish there was a spirit in the sky who actually cared for us. Sometimes when people mention the end, I get shivers and anxious. I haven't learned how to deal with it. While my anxiety isn't nearly as bad.. I still feel like we are minutes away from the return of Jesus, someone I no longer want to believe in. I sometimes feel like I'm in a constant state of "doom"

A "spirit in the sky" is when someone throws a bottle of whiskey in the air.

You really want a god you have to fear? The bible god is not a nice fellow. He makes Hitler look like Alice in Wonderland.

Sorry to tell you again, but there is no evidence of any god. Live your life. This worrying about a fictional character is hurting the only life you will get.

Are you worried about Zeus hitting you with a lightning bolt?

Same thing.

Omg! Hello!! I tried writing you to see how you are and the page said your name was non existent!!
14-06-2016, 08:04 PM
(14-06-2016 07:25 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  I still have trouble with the whole religion thing. Not as much but a good bit. I still can't bring myself to claim atheism fully. I really wish there was a spirit in the sky who actually cared for us. [...]

It's possible you may have to sort of "drift" into full-on atheism over a longer period of time. Don't overthink it, but rather just let its tenets become apparent gradually. Not a lot of religious people can just "throw the switch" as it were, particularly if they've held their faith for many years prior.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post