My problem now

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2016, 08:05 PM
RE: My problem now
(14-06-2016 07:37 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Don't read Billy Graham. He's a woo peddler. Only read scholarly books and peer-reviewed articles by those who have no hidden agenda.

We are not in the days of Noah. The Bible was written for the people of their time by the people of their time. It was not written for us. People twist the Bible all the time, but if you actually read the Bible in its correct historical context it actually makes a lot more sense.

They have been saying Jesus was going to come back for years and years and years and clearly, Jesus has never come back. Jesus was crucified in 33 AD and Jesus has not returned and we are now in the year 2016. I think it's safe to say he's not coming back at this point Wink

I'm sorry you are struggling. The best thing you can do is read scholarly books and educate yourself against the fairy tales you've been told. I've recommended Bart Ehrman's The Bible: a Historical and Literary Introduction in a few other posts to some other newbies. It is a really good starting point to scholarly biblical history. It will fill in a lot of the woo pieces with factual information. It's very easy to read and understand.

I looked up that book and it costs too much for me at this time. But I'm hoping with my new job I can swing it. At least with the Christmas bonus lol. I did get one book by Bart and it was helpful when I first started all of this. I just haven't had extra change to drop on books lately Sad
And all of the things you mentioned, I know. I guess it's just the fear I have.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Jewelarcher's post
14-06-2016, 08:11 PM
You guys are all very helpful, it's why I love this place,
The idea of switching him out seems good. I think I'll use unicorns since I've wanted them to be real my whole life (I had a 6 shelf collection with the leader big blue on top to guide them lol)
I didn't plan on just becoming athiest. I have given up small things, I don't listen to Christian radio anymore even though some of the music was really good to me.. I deleted most news feeds of Christians on Facebook.. And of course stopped going to church. The fears have eased a lot! But sometimes they are still there. So yeah replacing God with something else could be magical.
14-06-2016, 08:12 PM
(14-06-2016 07:42 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Don't be fearful. Be angry. You are a victim of child abuse.

[Image: 0bfc33991a5d4c6e5b30b9c685fff0e5.jpg]

Red pill or blue pill. You decide.

And if it helps you sleep more easily... know that you can keep the blue pill in your pocket as a fall-back if reality gets too much for you.

[Image: AAEAAQAAAAAAAAJjAAAAJGE1OGIwODIxLWFmNjIt...MmM1MQ.jpg]

I legit probably need pills lol. Just no time to go get them.. Jelly beans could totally work though!
14-06-2016, 08:12 PM
(14-06-2016 08:04 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 07:25 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  I still have trouble with the whole religion thing. Not as much but a good bit. I still can't bring myself to claim atheism fully. I really wish there was a spirit in the sky who actually cared for us. [...]

It's possible you may have to sort of "drift" into full-on atheism over a longer period of time. Don't overthink it, but rather just let its tenets become apparent gradually. Not a lot of religious people can just "throw the switch" as it were, particularly if they've held their faith for many years prior.

Right, no rush. It takes some time. When I was first deconverting, doubts would creep in from all of the brainwashing. It takes time, but you'll get there. Educating yourself on the Bible really does help though. It's kind of like someone constantly telling you a monster lives under your bed and you grow up believing them. Actually looking under the bed and seeing there's no monster will help you put all of these doubts to rest.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
14-06-2016, 08:16 PM
(14-06-2016 08:02 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 07:34 PM)Banjo Wrote:  A "spirit in the sky" is when someone throws a bottle of whiskey in the air.

You really want a god you have to fear? The bible god is not a nice fellow. He makes Hitler look like Alice in Wonderland.

Sorry to tell you again, but there is no evidence of any god. Live your life. This worrying about a fictional character is hurting the only life you will get.

Are you worried about Zeus hitting you with a lightning bolt?

Same thing.

Omg! Hello!! I tried writing you to see how you are and the page said your name was non existent!!

Which page? I have been keeping my health thread updated.

Did you try to skype me?

I'll tell you a thing I saw often over my long time on a cancer ward. Those who embraced god died more often than atheists. They gave themselves over to their fictional being. Atheists like me fought harder to stay alive.

They are dead. I am alive.

Creationists 0
Atheists 1

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
14-06-2016, 08:17 PM
(14-06-2016 08:12 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 08:04 PM)SYZ Wrote:  It's possible you may have to sort of "drift" into full-on atheism over a longer period of time. Don't overthink it, but rather just let its tenets become apparent gradually. Not a lot of religious people can just "throw the switch" as it were, particularly if they've held their faith for many years prior.

Right, no rush. It takes some time. When I was first deconverting, doubts would creep in from all of the brainwashing. It takes time, but you'll get there. Educating yourself on the Bible really does help though. It's kind of like someone constantly telling you a monster lives under your bed and you grow up believing them. Actually looking under the bed and seeing there's no monster will help you put all of these doubts to rest.

Since you've mentioned the book again I might actually go order it next pay period since our bills should be caught up briefly. I really would like to know more about the bible historically. When I first met my boyfriend he would ask me questions and I had no way to answer. I went to another guy, a team leader who I knew carried a lot of knowledge and asked him the questions. He would relate things back to "that's how it was in that time" or "that's how they did things" it really did open new doors for me.
[+] 1 user Likes Jewelarcher's post
14-06-2016, 08:19 PM
(14-06-2016 08:16 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 08:02 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  Omg! Hello!! I tried writing you to see how you are and the page said your name was non existent!!

Which page? I have been keeping my health thread updated.

Did you try to skype me?

I'll tell you a thing I saw often over my long time on a cancer ward. Those who embraced god died more often than atheists. They gave themselves over to their fictional being. Atheists like me fought harder to stay alive.

They are dead. I am alive.

Creationists 0
Atheists 1

I went to compose a message, I felt like it had been a long time since I wrote you. Sometimes I miss the threads but maybe I'll bookmark it on my phone now.

I did always wonder about that. Some just give in to go "home" or to a better place.
14-06-2016, 08:19 PM
(14-06-2016 08:17 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 08:12 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Right, no rush. It takes some time. When I was first deconverting, doubts would creep in from all of the brainwashing. It takes time, but you'll get there. Educating yourself on the Bible really does help though. It's kind of like someone constantly telling you a monster lives under your bed and you grow up believing them. Actually looking under the bed and seeing there's no monster will help you put all of these doubts to rest.

Since you've mentioned the book again I might actually go order it next pay period since our bills should be caught up briefly. I really would like to know more about the bible historically. When I first met my boyfriend he would ask me questions and I had no way to answer. I went to another guy, a team leader who I knew carried a lot of knowledge and asked him the questions. He would relate things back to "that's how it was in that time" or "that's how they did things" it really did open new doors for me.

If you don't have any money for books now, read The Skeptic's Annotated Bible by Steve Wells. It's online and free. We also have a free library here on TTA.
14-06-2016, 08:33 PM
(14-06-2016 08:19 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 08:17 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  Since you've mentioned the book again I might actually go order it next pay period since our bills should be caught up briefly. I really would like to know more about the bible historically. When I first met my boyfriend he would ask me questions and I had no way to answer. I went to another guy, a team leader who I knew carried a lot of knowledge and asked him the questions. He would relate things back to "that's how it was in that time" or "that's how they did things" it really did open new doors for me.

If you don't have any money for books now, read The Skeptic's Annotated Bible by Steve Wells. It's online and free. We also have a free library here on TTA.

I have read it, and I've visited the library too. I should probably try to get on the computer though so it's not as annoying as being on my phone lol.
[+] 1 user Likes Jewelarcher's post
14-06-2016, 08:35 PM
I put some links in--they weren't working. Tongue I'll fix them and get them for you later Thumbsup