My problem now

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2016, 12:52 PM
RE: My problem now
(15-06-2016 11:55 AM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  
(15-06-2016 09:30 AM)ohio_drg Wrote:  Google has a lot of books online that you can read/download for free.

Download to my phone or?

I have only downloaded some to my laptop. However, they are in pdf format so you should be able to use a phone if you so desire.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-06-2016, 01:08 PM
Here is another source-

http://www.christianitydisproved.com/

HTH
15-06-2016, 01:55 PM (This post was last modified: 15-06-2016 02:00 PM by Born Again Pagan.)
(15-06-2016 09:30 AM)ohio_drg Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 08:33 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  I have read it, and I've visited the library too. I should probably try to get on the computer though so it's not as annoying as being on my phone lol.

Google has a lot of books online that you can read/download for free.

I don't know about downloading books from Google, but Barnes and Noble has over a million free downloads. I originally had a nook book, bur when I bought a 7 inch Samsung tablet they all magically appeared there. Not too much later the nook book died. The Nook App for the samsung tablet is what I use for 95% of my reading, about 6 to 7 hours per day I "buy" them on my laptop, and they appear magically on my tablet.

I must have done sumpthin to make it happen, though I don't dabble much in magic, but i don't know what. I cannot find the books on my computer though I have been assured that they are lurking in some corner thereof.

The tabklt's Nook program remember what page I am on etc... Previously a friend downloaded books onto my laptop that he wanted to share, but everytime i would open the PDF I had to remember what page i had been, makes for not too comfortable reading for me.
15-06-2016, 02:41 PM
(15-06-2016 01:55 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  
(15-06-2016 09:30 AM)ohio_drg Wrote:  Google has a lot of books online that you can read/download for free.

I don't know about downloading books from Google, but Barnes and Noble has over a million free downloads. I originally had a nook book, bur when I bought a 7 inch Samsung tablet they all magically appeared there. Not too much later the nook book died. The Nook App for the samsung tablet is what I use for 95% of my reading, about 6 to 7 hours per day I "buy" them on my laptop, and they appear magically on my tablet.

I must have done sumpthin to make it happen, though I don't dabble much in magic, but i don't know what. I cannot find the books on my computer though I have been assured that they are lurking in some corner thereof.

The tabklt's Nook program remember what page I am on etc... Previously a friend downloaded books onto my laptop that he wanted to share, but everytime i would open the PDF I had to remember what page i had been, makes for not too comfortable reading for me.
Some Mistakes of Moses

For example...

It takes some searching but there is quite a bit that can be downloaded for free.

And you are correct Barnes&Noble has a ton of free downloads as well. I haven't checked to see if amazon has any free downloads.
15-06-2016, 02:44 PM
I, like you, would love to believe if some almighty father that loves all of us, but you need look no further than a yahoo news feed to know that's not true. Without going into specifics there are story every day regarding children dying or being treated in horrific ways, mothers of young children who want nothing more than to see their children grow up but are taken by cancer, slowly and painfully then are relegated to "heaven" to watch their children suffer in their absence. The fact that those types perish and others like Timothy McVeigh are allowed to live to inflict maximum carnage is proof enough for me. No I think that if there was a god that either he's a real dick or just doesn't care. So instead of relying on a mythical sky man to make this cess pool a better place or serving a maniacal ego maniac in fear of being sent to a lake of fire(one which you would not feel due to lack of a brain, skin, etc etc.) Go out there and make it count not because you think your being graded but just to a good entity while you use up this space. That's how I think about it I try to be a decent person just because that's who I should be without fear, without prompting. I hope you find the comfort you are looking for or peice of mind, at the very least. Good luck.
15-06-2016, 03:07 PM
(14-06-2016 08:05 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 07:37 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Don't read Billy Graham. He's a woo peddler. Only read scholarly books and peer-reviewed articles by those who have no hidden agenda.

We are not in the days of Noah. The Bible was written for the people of their time by the people of their time. It was not written for us. People twist the Bible all the time, but if you actually read the Bible in its correct historical context it actually makes a lot more sense.

They have been saying Jesus was going to come back for years and years and years and clearly, Jesus has never come back. Jesus was crucified in 33 AD and Jesus has not returned and we are now in the year 2016. I think it's safe to say he's not coming back at this point Wink

I'm sorry you are struggling. The best thing you can do is read scholarly books and educate yourself against the fairy tales you've been told. I've recommended Bart Ehrman's The Bible: a Historical and Literary Introduction in a few other posts to some other newbies. It is a really good starting point to scholarly biblical history. It will fill in a lot of the woo pieces with factual information. It's very easy to read and understand.

I looked up that book and it costs too much for me at this time. But I'm hoping with my new job I can swing it. At least with the Christmas bonus lol. I did get one book by Bart and it was helpful when I first started all of this. I just haven't had extra change to drop on books lately Sad
And all of the things you mentioned, I know. I guess it's just the fear I have.

You can actually get the book, used, on Amazon for under $35.00.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
15-06-2016, 03:14 PM
(14-06-2016 07:25 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  I still have trouble with the whole religion thing. Not as much but a good bit. I still can't bring myself to claim athiesim fully. I really wish there was a spirit in the sky who actually cared for us. Sometimes when people mention the end, I get shivers and anxious. I haven't learned how to deal with it. While my anxiety isn't nearly as bad.. I still feel like we are minutes away from the return of Jesus, someone I no longer want to believe in. I sometimes feel like I'm in a constant state of "doom"

Every year someone says that and every year they are wrong. Jesus keeps a promise like I keep a girlfriend.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
15-06-2016, 09:26 PM
In case I haven't already shared this one with you:

And if I have this one's just for shits and giggles:

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
15-06-2016, 10:22 PM
This one always makes me laugh and also points out the absurdity in the Bible:

[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
19-06-2016, 04:23 PM
(14-06-2016 08:16 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I'll tell you a thing I saw often over my long time on a cancer ward. Those who embraced god died more often than atheists. They gave themselves over to their fictional being. Atheists like me fought harder to stay alive.

They are dead. I am alive.

Creationists 0
Atheists 1

Check this site out for the good oil on the failings of intercessory prayer (to act or interpose in behalf of someone in difficulty, as by pleading or petition).

Study of the Therapeutic Effects of Intercessory Prayer.

—"Intercessory prayer itself had no effect on complication-free recovery from coronary artery bypass graft surgery, but certainty of receiving intercessory prayer was associated with a higher incidence of complications."

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.