My questioning of the question "What is the meaning of life"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-07-2013, 09:48 AM
The word meaning, and what I class as "my own" isn't actually 100% mine. Over countless generations moulded by different rules, morals and laws of their own respective moments of time spanning thousands of years I currently am in possession of a miniscule sliver of the current evolved version set by standards of the type of society I live in and all currently know knowledge that humanity has discovered in my lifetime that I myself only know/hold a very very small part of. This is all intermingled with every single experience, thought, belief and feeling I have had up until this moment of questioning and seeing as my life hasn't completed its cycle and I will experience, think, change/modify/enforce beliefs and will quite possibly experience more and quite possibly complexer feelings that this "I" can be seen as incomplete and a work in progress.

My experience is as unique to me down to circumstance, genetics, diet and environment when compared to my fellow homo sapiens as it is unique to all lifeforms on this planet. My uniqueness isolates me from everything else as I know no "other" and I am biased by this form of human that I take which separates me from all other kinds of life I share on this planet, I know no "other".

These "others" are a complex range of cellular organisms that are all responding to their own unique stimuli in their own evolution and environment all going through their own cycles like I go through mine. Our cycles are not the first and they will not be the last.

Finally I think of all these things in my own awareness whilst I do my menial job of chasing a bin lorry round. In a country that I have never left which is tiny when compared to all the other landmasses that account for around 30% of the planets surface. A planet which in its own way is going though its own cycles which itself are not yet complete , a planet that is infinitley tiny as it hurtles its way through infinite amounts of space in our solar system. A solar system that is also going through what we conceive as a cycle which is also hurtling itself through infinite amounts of space in a universe that we can only theorise of a "big bang" beginning (if it even has one and hasn't simply just always been here, something we cannot conceive just like infinity) which is recent which before was explained through a biased human experience of seeing things as a creation of some unseen "god"

And you, the reader are interpreting these dead symbols called writing and language I have put together in your own way, putting all of this together in your own way, quite possibly in a semi state of "auto pilot" in an awareness where you have probably consciously forgotten that right now in this very moment you are breathing....... Smile

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like bemore's post
02-07-2013, 09:58 AM
RE: My questioning of the question "What is the meaning of life"
42 Drinking Beverage

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 6 users Like nach_in's post
02-07-2013, 11:24 AM
I don't like it when people ask "what is the meaning of life" because they don't realize they are asking a loaded question. It should be broken down into two parts: IS there any meaning to life OTHER THAN that which we ascribe to it? If so, THEN what is that meaning?

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
02-07-2013, 07:41 PM
I have two different answers:

1) The universe and everything in it is random. Life occurs randomly due to random events that make it possible. There is no plan, purpose, or reason that we are here. (I know that evolution is not merely random, but requires environmental filtration to find the "best" adaptations to said environment. However that environment is itself a result of randomness.) There's no reason, just causality.

2) My life, your life, anyone's life is completely unique. Your life and the way you experience the universe is literally one-of-a-kind. Any meaning your life has is simply what you give it. – You only live once, make it meaningful.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 2 users Like Jeffasaurus's post
03-07-2013, 08:49 AM
Having discussed this with my friend we discussed where and why this question may have first originated.

He made a good point to which I agree that it may possibly be wrapped up in religion. That is from a scientific viewpoint (which came later) doesn't seem to actually have an answer, whilst religion and the belief in a diety could have an answer (to get into heaven etc)

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
03-07-2013, 02:19 PM
I thought the meaning of life is to get to level 32 of Final Doom, in god mode.
That's what my little brother told me, anyway.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist & Levitating Yogi
Sent by Jebus to put the stud back in Bible Study.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
03-07-2013, 03:35 PM
Re: My questioning of the question "What is the meaning of life"
I prefer Eric Idol's version.

This question to me has no definitive answer.. But in most situations where that is the case, I think the answer is at it's best state- trying to answer the question.

I.e. the meaning of life is to try and figure out the meaning of life.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
03-07-2013, 03:47 PM
The question presumes that there is a meaning. A better question is "Is there a meaning to life?"

But that too is a poor question. What's the agreed definition of "life"? What's the agreed definition of "meaning"?
[+] 1 user Likes PoolBoyG's post
03-07-2013, 10:51 PM
It's your life... you figure it out.

I'm too busy finding the meaning of my own life.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 3 users Like NoahsFarce's post
04-07-2013, 02:25 AM
Plastic! [cit] Smile