My questioning of the question "What is the meaning of life"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2013, 11:46 AM
RE: My questioning of the question "What is the meaning of life"
[quote='Jeffasaurus' pid='332995' dateline='1372815664']
I have two different answers:

1) The universe and everything in it is random.

This I have observed. And boy don't the Christers hate that belief? They want to assign purpose to everyONE and THING. Gotta always have that black/white dichotomy.

I'm a gun-owning Buddhist. In Kentucky that's not an oxymoron.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2013, 12:07 PM
life lack the meaning bc it is obviously not true, so not real

only reality of smthg is its living mean

life is based on taking advantage from what is seen instead of respecting it as being present too

at a certain pick it becomes obvious fake so the efforts to live become heavy and while the means of those efforts dont pay
11-09-2013, 12:29 PM
People vs. Randomness.
http://joyreactor.com/post/742867

I'm a gun-owning Buddhist. In Kentucky that's not an oxymoron.
11-09-2013, 01:03 PM
Humans make so much of themselves; no wonder we're such fuck ups.
Having meaning or a meaning, is not requisite to being. You've made it in the door, now have fun before you're found and tossed out. Drinking Beverage sheesh

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
14-09-2013, 07:03 AM
[Image: 20130914.png]
http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=3112

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 5 users Like Hafnof's post
15-09-2013, 01:23 PM

The idea that humans seek an objective meaning to their lives because we are a narcissistic species seems plausible to me. But I would also add that there's probably more to it - like fear of freedom, or a desire for someone higher to look after you, or a desire for universal justice after this life.

I used to ponder the meaning of life, now I do not anymore. I think I grew out of it over time. I realized that I can make my own meaning, and that living for the moment is not pointless as theists claim. But most of all, if there really were a god and an afterlife, would that make our lives more meaningful? No, it wouldn't. It would only mean that this life is a show set up by God, with no ultimate point, because we wouldn't be able either to hurt or to glorify God. We also wouldn't be able to do anything of permanent significance to the grand scheme of things, as God could do the same (or whatever else he wants) in a blink of an eye. Indeed, "doing God's will" is an incredibly silly concept. If there were a god, he wouldn't have created anything. He'd be enjoying his own self-sufficience, forever.

An eternal life would be meaningless. What would we do for an eternity? What would be our meaning in such a dimension of existence? Now that would be a meaningless life. I think the idea of heaven, apart from being an instrument of control, was conceived as some sort of a nostalgic feeling over the transience of temporal things. Like, "I wish this vacation lasted longer." So we imagine an eternal vacation. But we skip the fact that temporality is necessary, because it drives us forward. Novelty and challenge are important aspects of our appreciation of things.

Hear, now, a parable of a cat and its owner: The man was waving a stick with a prey-shaped toy on top of it. The cat "hunted" it with great effort, but when the man stopped waving (as the felt dizzy - the cat actually belonged to his girlfriend with whom he lived, he didn't like cats, but that's altogether another matter), she caught the toy. As the toy was no longer "attempting" to escape, the cat lost interest and went to pester mice in the backyard instead. So it is with the humans.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Philosoraptor's post
16-09-2013, 11:00 AM
I think it's more appropriate to ask - what is the meaning of my life? To acknowledge that there can not be (and we wouldn't desire) a universal meaning brings us to reality:

You have a blank canvas, so what will you paint?

Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're an incredible slouch.

Martin Luther was the "father" of two movements - The Reformation and Nazism.
16-09-2013, 11:07 AM
if u ask about ur life then it is not ur life, so u cannot b free positive doing stuff

same logics apply about, blank canvas?? wat blank canvas what brought it there

assume ur freedom, or surrender from talking
16-09-2013, 01:01 PM
(16-09-2013 11:07 AM)absols Wrote:  if u ask about ur life then it is not ur life, so u cannot b free positive doing stuff

same logics apply about, blank canvas?? wat blank canvas what brought it there

assume ur freedom, or surrender from talking

Dude I have no idea what you saying. Clearly you are trying to respond to my post but what you are saying is beyond me, its totally incoherent.

Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're an incredible slouch.

Martin Luther was the "father" of two movements - The Reformation and Nazism.
16-09-2013, 01:30 PM (This post was last modified: 16-09-2013 01:37 PM by absols.)
u cant fill smthg

try to use only logics

if there is smthg even empty u cant change its nature

and if u have a positive ability on things then u must find urself and clarify ur freedom right in being an objective source,

confusing what u think being u doing with what u guess know being done somehow as everything else since u r mortal and borned without ur will, cant sustain a healthy brain nor justify a mind

but also, if u believe that u r given to live, then it is not ur life
there is u as a receiver conscious about it so independant to the fact

then the life gift mean is with what u think being the identity that gave u that

and if life is random and u r a being randomly living of, then there cant b a mean to what is random so u cant create it otherwise u would b lying about facts