My questioning of the question "What is the meaning of life"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-09-2013, 02:42 PM
RE: My questioning of the question "What is the meaning of life"
(20-09-2013 01:35 PM)Philosoraptor Wrote:  
(20-09-2013 10:04 AM)Confused12345 Wrote:  So yes I understand this amazing universe is just random chance and here we are. An intelligent species discussing meaning of life. It is beautiful and cruel at the same time, like the universe playing a sick joke. I know we make meaning in our life, I try to by loving and helping those around me. It matters to them and to those that they will effect in the future. But I will get to the point that sadness me, which is if one day it all ends no more humans will it have mattered? Will anything have mattered? This question creeps in my mind and bothers me, I push it down but it reappears. Does anyone struggle with this? Is there an answer? Or should I just try to cope with the fact that there is only a finite meaning to my life.

I can only speak from my experience. It used to bother me - it doesn't anymore. When I was in my late teens I thought and pondered the "big picture" (I still ponder too much, hence my username Philosoraptor Wink ).

But since I entered my 20s, thoughts about the ultimate meaning don't bother me anymore - sure, I do experience them from time to time, but I'm indifferent about them. I live for the moment, and I see myself as fortunate because my standard of living enables me to enjoy the benefits of the 21st century. So for me there's plenty about this life to enjoy, and no time for concerns about the meaning. I can make my own meaning. It's like playing an open-ended videogame (but without violence Smile ) - I've always preferred those that let you roam around and plan when to do your missions (or not do them at all), over the linear ones which are like an interactive movie. On the other hand, some people prefer linear games, because they can simply do what the game tells them to. So it is with life.

In the end, when we die, we won't be too concerned about it, so why be concerned now?

"Death, therefore, the most awful of evils, is nothing to us, seeing that, when we are, death is not come, and, when death is come, we are not.
It is nothing, then, either to the living or to the dead, for with the living it is not and the dead exist no longer.
"
~ Epicurus
http://www.epicurus.net/en/menoeceus.html

Thank you for giving me your view. After becoming an Athiest I am reevaluating so many concepts. Before with religion things are black and white now things are grey. I wish there was a philosophy course here (sin!). I enjoy discussing these topics, don't know why. Will never reach an answer, but it is more interesting to me then other topics. Reading a book 'the blank slate' I love the ability to download books. Everything here is banned. They are not on to the Athiest websites yet. They are busy at closing of the Christian websites Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-09-2013, 03:56 PM

RE: My questioning of the question "What is the meaning of life"
(22-09-2013 02:42 PM)Confused12345 Wrote:  Thank you for giving me your view. After becoming an Athiest I am reevaluating so many concepts. Before with religion things are black and white now things are grey. I wish there was a philosophy course here (sin!). I enjoy discussing these topics, don't know why. Will never reach an answer, but it is more interesting to me then other topics. Reading a book 'the blank slate' I love the ability to download books. Everything here is banned. They are not on to the Athiest websites yet. They are busy at closing of the Christian websites Smile

Make sure you take care of yourself there. I wish you all the best in life. Thumbsup
Quote this message in a reply