My rant against people who mock karate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2017, 10:50 PM
My rant against people who mock karate
I'm tired of people in certain circles mocking what they think is karate. Karate is a complete fighting system that evolved from Okinawan tegumi wrestling. Unlike the majority of modern karate schools, which teach a watered-down sport version of karate, traditional karate emphasized strikes, throws, joint locks, and grappling, and even weapons.

Real karate looks like this:

Nonsense karate looks like this:

Real karate was an Okinawan "mixed" martial art. When Okinawa began trading with mainland China, the tegumi wrestlers absorbed Chinese striking techniques into their fighting, forming a martial art known as "te," or "hand." By the 18th century, te had become shuri-te and kara-te. Shuri-te/kara-te was brought to Japan during the early 20th century, where it became so popular that the Japanese government decided to implement a sport version of it in public school curriculum. This sport version eliminated so much of karate's techniques, and it's this watered-down karate that most karate schools around the world teach.

No
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2017, 11:10 PM
RE: My rant against people who mock karate
slaps the mat three times
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
06-10-2017, 11:12 PM
(06-10-2017 11:10 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  slaps the mat three times

What?

No
06-10-2017, 11:46 PM
Still prefer swords Wink

Seriously though I remember reading that Okinawan karate was more like a killing art in days past but I've never felt the need to dig deeper into this.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
06-10-2017, 11:47 PM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2017 11:50 PM by GirlyMan.)
(06-10-2017 11:12 PM)neurotibotical Wrote:  
(06-10-2017 11:10 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  slaps the mat three times

What?

We're laughing at your karate compared to kiramate. Tongue

[Image: sqEqY77.jpg]

#sigh
07-10-2017, 11:14 AM
Karate? The Dane Cook of martial arts?

(This is an Archer reference).

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
07-10-2017, 11:19 AM
(06-10-2017 10:50 PM)neurotibotical Wrote:  I'm tired of people in certain circles mocking what they think is karate. Karate is a complete fighting system that evolved from Okinawan tegumi wrestling. Unlike the majority of modern karate schools, which teach a watered-down sport version of karate, traditional karate emphasized strikes, throws, joint locks, and grappling, and even weapons.

Real karate looks like this:

Nonsense karate looks like this:

Real karate was an Okinawan "mixed" martial art. When Okinawa began trading with mainland China, the tegumi wrestlers absorbed Chinese striking techniques into their fighting, forming a martial art known as "te," or "hand." By the 18th century, te had become shuri-te and kara-te. Shuri-te/kara-te was brought to Japan during the early 20th century, where it became so popular that the Japanese government decided to implement a sport version of it in public school curriculum. This sport version eliminated so much of karate's techniques, and it's this watered-down karate that most karate schools around the world teach.

Yer cute when you're angry...

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
07-10-2017, 11:52 AM
Regardless of what karate may have been at one time, or what a few schools today may claim to be still, as a believer in the scientific process and in the application of skeptical analysis, if my intention is to improve my ability to engage in hand to hand combat, I can't rationalize doing so by seeking out a karate school when there are options backed by more relevant, recent, and consistent data available to choose from.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
07-10-2017, 12:27 PM
Putin laughs at your karate.

[Image: 6fdfe028b2a749016d9c0d7ec3eb01e4.gif]

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 5 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
07-10-2017, 01:02 PM
[Image: 2ce06d464175990898e8bda84690222d--martia...-belts.jpg]

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 5 users Like SYZ's post