My rant against people who mock karate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2017, 08:36 PM
RE: My rant against people who mock karate
(07-10-2017 02:50 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Sounds like ppl need to teach sensitive and non-offensive karate.

We'll start with the sensitive atheists here who post their "coming out" stories.

No
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2017, 08:37 PM
The only thing I question is were they really *ALL* kung-fu fighting?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
07-10-2017, 08:38 PM
(07-10-2017 08:37 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  The only thing I question is were they really *ALL* kung-fu fighting?

Kung fu is pretty gay.

No
08-10-2017, 12:43 AM
(07-10-2017 08:28 PM)neurotibotical Wrote:  Wow. Lots of nonsense in your copypasta.

1. Nobody is claiming that te is still around. But that's because te evolved into karate.

2. Don't confuse Okinawan te with Okinawan karate of the 19th-century. Okinawan karate never went anywhere. There are guys alive today who are only two generations removed from the 19th-century guys.

3. Okinawan karate is not concerned with aesthetics.

4. Bunkai is not farcical, nor is it a recent invention. Karate kata goes back over 300 years. Kata exists because most martial artists, like most people, were illiterate and needed a way to record concepts, so they formulated kata.

5. Mastumura didn't "invent budo for Okinawan schoolchildren." There's hardly anything known about his life, though we do know he was the chief bodyguard of the Okinawan king and that his grandson helped Funakoshi bring karate to Japan.

6. The white uniform and belt come from Judo, not budo. Where did you get your copypasta from? Judo's founder, Jigiro Kano, devised the belt rank system, amd then Funakoshi, who was his buddy, adopted it to karate.

Budo refers to several martial arts, including judo, karate and aikido. Budo martial arts emphasise mental and physical discipline as opposed to practical combat science.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bud%C5%8D

The ersatz bunkai you see in the OP video is a recent invention. The karateka clearly doesn't know what concepts those kata moves were intended to represent; the techniques in his contrived interpretations don't even work properly, and since he is demonstrating Shotokan kata, there's a good chance that the forms have no meaning at all.
08-10-2017, 06:58 AM
(08-10-2017 12:43 AM)MetasyntacticVariable Wrote:  
(07-10-2017 08:28 PM)neurotibotical Wrote:  Wow. Lots of nonsense in your copypasta.

1. Nobody is claiming that te is still around. But that's because te evolved into karate.

2. Don't confuse Okinawan te with Okinawan karate of the 19th-century. Okinawan karate never went anywhere. There are guys alive today who are only two generations removed from the 19th-century guys.

3. Okinawan karate is not concerned with aesthetics.

4. Bunkai is not farcical, nor is it a recent invention. Karate kata goes back over 300 years. Kata exists because most martial artists, like most people, were illiterate and needed a way to record concepts, so they formulated kata.

5. Mastumura didn't "invent budo for Okinawan schoolchildren." There's hardly anything known about his life, though we do know he was the chief bodyguard of the Okinawan king and that his grandson helped Funakoshi bring karate to Japan.

6. The white uniform and belt come from Judo, not budo. Where did you get your copypasta from? Judo's founder, Jigiro Kano, devised the belt rank system, amd then Funakoshi, who was his buddy, adopted it to karate.

Budo refers to several martial arts, including judo, karate and aikido. Budo martial arts emphasise mental and physical discipline as opposed to practical combat science.

The ersatz bunkai you see in the OP video is a recent invention. The karateka clearly doesn't know what concepts those kata moves were intended to represent; the techniques in his contrived interpretations don't even work properly, and since he is demonstrating Shotokan kata, there's a good chance that the forms have no meaning at all.

Yes. I know what budo is. It's the very thing I criticize in my OP. You're clearly learning about martial arts as you go, because nobody would say that karate gi comes from "budo," as "budo" is too generic. You would specify by saying it came from Judo.

Is the bunkai in my OP a "recent invention"? Doubt it, considering that the Okinawan masters claimed otherwise.

Funakoshi: "In karate, hitting, thrusting, and kicking are not the only methods, throwing techniques and pressure against joints are included. All these techniques should be studied referring to basic kata. One must always keep in mind that since the essence of karate is found in a single thrust or kick, one must be careful not to be defeated through concern with throwing an opponent or applying a joint punishment hold."

Mabuni: "The karate being propagated on the mainland is an incomplete version of the art and people are wrong to think that karate is devoid of grappling. Those who refuse to practise karate in its entirety learn a hollow version of the art."

No
08-10-2017, 07:19 AM
(06-10-2017 10:50 PM)neurotibotical Wrote:  I'm tired of people in certain circles mocking what they think is karate. Karate is a complete fighting system that evolved from Okinawan tegumi wrestling. Unlike the majority of modern karate schools, which teach a watered-down sport version of karate, traditional karate emphasized strikes, throws, joint locks, and grappling, and even weapons.

Real karate looks like this:

Nonsense karate looks like this:

Real karate was an Okinawan "mixed" martial art. When Okinawa began trading with mainland China, the tegumi wrestlers absorbed Chinese striking techniques into their fighting, forming a martial art known as "te," or "hand." By the 18th century, te had become shuri-te and kara-te. Shuri-te/kara-te was brought to Japan during the early 20th century, where it became so popular that the Japanese government decided to implement a sport version of it in public school curriculum. This sport version eliminated so much of karate's techniques, and it's this watered-down karate that most karate schools around the world teach.

Hello.

Nothing is beyond being mocked.

I have some small experience in the field of self defence/attack.

Of course the more I learned, the less I knew.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
08-10-2017, 09:49 AM
(08-10-2017 06:58 AM)neurotibotical Wrote:  
(08-10-2017 12:43 AM)MetasyntacticVariable Wrote:  Budo refers to several martial arts, including judo, karate and aikido. Budo martial arts emphasise mental and physical discipline as opposed to practical combat science.

Yes. I know what budo is. It's the very thing I criticize in my OP. You're clearly learning about martial arts as you go, because nobody would say that karate gi comes from "budo," as "budo" is too generic. You would specify by saying it came from Judo.

Is the bunkai in my OP a "recent invention"? Doubt it, considering that the Okinawan masters claimed otherwise.

Funakoshi: "In karate, hitting, thrusting, and kicking are not the only methods, throwing techniques and pressure against joints are included. All these techniques should be studied referring to basic kata. One must always keep in mind that since the essence of karate is found in a single thrust or kick, one must be careful not to be defeated through concern with throwing an opponent or applying a joint punishment hold."

Mabuni: "The karate being propagated on the mainland is an incomplete version of the art and people are wrong to think that karate is devoid of grappling. Those who refuse to practise karate in its entirety learn a hollow version of the art."

Funakoshi's Shotokan school of karate is the exemplar of karate designed to be practised by children. Funakoshi, Itosu and others even invented new kata for that purpose when they "watered-down" Okinawan te.

There is a degree of mysticism in karate. Kata is like a Rorschach inkblot; karateka learn how to precisely execute the forms and then impute those forms with their own martial interpretation, finding meaning wherever they can. Masters as early as Motobu trained this way, and practitioners probably did it this way in China before forms were imported to Okinawa. This kind of bullshit is also present in contemporary Chinese martial arts, as one would expect.

One needs a healthy dose of skepticism when evaluating the claims of karate masters. Extant karate masters claim to have ancient martial knowledge but their knowledge demonstrably lacks technical substance. Their professed expertise is also compromised by the fact that martial arts has progressed a long way in the last century: the science of modern striking and grappling is vastly superior to the techniques of the 19th-century. The unbalanced, flat-footed facsimile of jujutsu in the OP is nothing more than apologetics for this mysticism and it shouldn't fool anyone.

However, none of this means that karate, as budo, deserves to be mocked. While budo has departed from practical combat science, practitioners can devote themselves to the perfection of form, mental discipline, and physical wellbeing. It's a challenge in it's own right.

Karate also has a sporting tradition, but sport karate, like taekwondo or fencing, exists for its own sake; its form is based on the rules of the sport, not on what works best in real combat.

Outright ridicule ought to be reserved for the McDojos that abandoned karate's difficult training methods and demanding standards in favour of easy money. The result is grown men flailing impotently at each other, afraid to be hit.
08-10-2017, 10:50 AM
(08-10-2017 07:19 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(06-10-2017 10:50 PM)neurotibotical Wrote:  I'm tired of people in certain circles mocking what they think is karate. Karate is a complete fighting system that evolved from Okinawan tegumi wrestling. Unlike the majority of modern karate schools, which teach a watered-down sport version of karate, traditional karate emphasized strikes, throws, joint locks, and grappling, and even weapons.

Real karate looks like this:

Nonsense karate looks like this:

Real karate was an Okinawan "mixed" martial art. When Okinawa began trading with mainland China, the tegumi wrestlers absorbed Chinese striking techniques into their fighting, forming a martial art known as "te," or "hand." By the 18th century, te had become shuri-te and kara-te. Shuri-te/kara-te was brought to Japan during the early 20th century, where it became so popular that the Japanese government decided to implement a sport version of it in public school curriculum. This sport version eliminated so much of karate's techniques, and it's this watered-down karate that most karate schools around the world teach.

Hello.

Nothing is beyond being mocked.

I have some small experience in the field of self defence/attack.

Of course the more I learned, the less I knew.

(08-10-2017 07:19 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Nothing is beyond being mocked.

Ain't that the truth. Stuff evolves. Art forms evolve.

Mocking ballet. (This is a guy, by the way)

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
08-10-2017, 06:28 PM
(07-10-2017 08:38 PM)neurotibotical Wrote:  Kung fu is pretty gay.

It depends. I am a master of one Chinese fighting art where the first move one is taught is an eye gouge.

Over the 30+ years I studied martial arts, many preconceptions regarding ideals were destroyed. There is nothing deep about a punch.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
08-10-2017, 06:32 PM
And saying something is "gay" as some sort of a put-down, is a surefire way of losing what little chance of being taken seriously one might have had Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post