My recent food adventures.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2013, 12:56 PM
My recent food adventures.
I've never been shy about trying new things... in fact... people have called me "Mikey" (because I'll eat anything). So, as of late, I've been trying some new plants (fruits, veggies, rhizomes, leaves, etc).

I'll list a some and tell you what I think of them.

1) Jicama
No... just no. I had high hopes for this... and gave it a good shot (I ate two of them). But, I just couldn't do anymore. The overall flavor was not good. I read that it was reminiscent of an apple or a pear, but it was in no way that. It was way too starchy… kind of like eating a raw potato but a bit sweeter.

2) Cilantro
I’ve always liked cilantro… so this isn’t really something new for me per se. The amounts I’ve consumed are new, though. I love cilantro. I can eat a whole bunch in one sitting, and with cilantro being priced at 74¢ for a bunch, it’s hard to beat it. The one thing I found however is that the flavor quickly fades after the first bunch, and then eating cilantro becomes somewhat of a chore. So, cilantro is good in medium amounts (1/2 to 1 bunch).

3) Mango
Probably my favorite new addition and will likely become a staple fruit in my household. They are sweet, juicy, and dang good. My kids love them too. They’re easy to peel, and they’re relatively cheap (about the same as peaches) and easy to get (most grocers have them). I’ve already become quite good at picking out the best tasting mangos. I guess the only downside to a mango is the mess it can make and that it’s not a “to go” fruit like a banana, apple, or orange. You can’t just wash it, peel it, and eat it… well you can… but it’s messy and the fibers of the inner fruit can become a pain. I’ve found that slicing it up around the seed casing is the best way to eat it… which, unfortunately, requires a knife.

4) Papaya
Another one of my favorites like the mango, but I was a little disappointed in the relatively bland flavor. I mean, don’t get me wrong, it’s tasty, but its flavor isn’t as evident as a mango, banana, orange, apple, etc. They are a little bit of a pain to prepare and they can be a bit messy as well. Regardless, it probably would have become a staple in my household because not only do the kids and me love them but so does Jess. Save two reasons why it won’t, though: 1) they are too freakin’ expensive. One papaya can run upwards of $6 or so and 2) they are pretty rare and difficult to find. They only place I found them in my area was at an Albertsons, Whole Foods, and a local fruit stand.

5) Kiwifruit
Like cilantro, I’ve always loved kiwi and have been eating it since I was a kid. There’s not much bad to say about it. It’s easy to eat (you can eat the skin if you want), it’s not messy, it’s extremely tasty, and it’s pretty cheap (@ 33¢ each – the same price as a lemon or lime). I don’t know, though… there’s just something about it that I don’t want as a staple. I just get bored with them, I guess. I really don’t know why… like I said… I can’t find anything wrong with them.

6) Pomegranate
Another fruit that I really, really like. Like the mango and papaya, my kids love them as well. They’re cheap and at most stores and I love their flavor. But. And this is huge… this is why it’s not going to become a staple in my house… TOO. MUCH. WORK. Seriously. Too much work to enjoy just one of these. Yeah, I know… there’s supposed to be an easy way to harvest the seeds using a bowl and water, but I’m not going to get a big bowl and water every time I want to enjoy a piece of fruit. Another gripe that I have is that they are just too brittle. If you drop one from just a little ways, they split open and get that red staining juice everywhere. It’s really a shame that they are so difficult… they taste so good.

7) Ginger
When I first started eating sushi in college, I immediately fell in love with the gari. I would always eat everyone’s because no one other than me would touch it (they said it tasted like soap); likewise, I’ve always enjoyed the flavor of ginger. But, when I picked up my first ginger root… it was a whole new ballgame. I can only eat small portions (1/8 or ¼ of a normal sized rhizome). The flavor is such a kick, though. Really, really tasty. The more I read up on raw ginger rhizome, the more I found out how beneficial it is. Seriously… it’s got a ton of health benefits… and since I have some health issues, I’ve been consuming a good portion almost daily to try and boost my immune system. I will say that it takes a special tongue to enjoy raw ginger root… it’s definitely not for everyone… but for me, it’s awesome.

8) Plantain
Bleh. It’s like eating a very, very green banana (derp). I know, I know… you’re supposed to cook them… but yeah, this is about plants I can eat raw. Plantains are relatively cheap and easy to get, so if you like unripe bananas, knock yourself out. It’s not my cup of tea.

9) Blackberries and Blueberry
Now, my dad grows both of these (he has wild blackberry bushes all around his house), and I think I’ve literally eaten them my whole life; however, I just now started increasing my intake. Of course, I love them. What’s not to like? They are both delicious. Here’s the caveat, though. Availability. I think I’m only going to enjoy these berries mostly when my dad’s harvest is ready. They are way too expensive at the grocer (one flat is like $3 and can easily be eaten in one sitting). But, if you want to spend the money, I say go for it. The health benefits alone are worth it.

10) Pineapple
Again, this fruit is no stranger to me but this is just about the frequency at which I’ve been purchasing and consuming them. Pineapples pretty much fall in the exact same predicament as the papaya and pomegranate. I love them. The kids love them. The wife loves them. But, they won’t even become a staple fruit in my household because of the price ($3-$5), the work it takes to enjoy them, and the mess that they make. It really sucks too… I love fresh pineapple… I just don’t want to put the effort into them every time I want to enjoy it.

So, these have been my recent explorations… I’m going to keep looking for new stuff to try every time I go to the grocery store.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-10-2013, 01:20 PM
RE: My recent food adventures.
Try cutting a mango in half. Score the fruit up and down like a tic tac toe pattern then plop that sucker face down on a hot grill for a minute, just long enough to start searing. Flip it over for another minute and put some brown sugar on the face while it's cooking. Let it cool for another minute then dig in with a spoon! Delish!

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
30-10-2013, 01:21 PM
How about avocados?

They're good on salads, in shakes, as an alternative to mayo in sandwiches... Just don't cook em, they become inedible
30-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Jicama belongs in salads, cut in very small cubes... adds crunch.

Am a big ginger lover these days also...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
30-10-2013, 01:30 PM
Love Mango...that's been my new fruit find this year.

I like to slice bananas, strawberries, and kiwi and mix together with a little powdered sugar then let it sit while I make waffles. It makes a great fruit topping, if there's any leftover seal it real well and try it over a really good vanilla ice cream.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

“Stab the body and it heals, but injure the heart and the wound lasts a lifetime.”
― Mineko Iwasaki
30-10-2013, 01:35 PM
(30-10-2013 01:21 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  How about avocados?

They're good on salads, in shakes, as an alternative to mayo in sandwiches... Just don't cook em, they become inedible

Actually there are recipes calling for cooked avocado - usually they involve eggs ...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
30-10-2013, 01:39 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avocado

"Generally, avocado is served raw, though some cultivars, including the common Hass, can be cooked for a short time without becoming bitter. Caution should be used when cooking with untested cultivars; the flesh of some avocados may be rendered inedible by heat. Prolonged cooking induces this chemical reaction in all cultivars."
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
30-10-2013, 01:40 PM
I have not been able to learn to like avocado.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

“Stab the body and it heals, but injure the heart and the wound lasts a lifetime.”
― Mineko Iwasaki
30-10-2013, 01:45 PM
(30-10-2013 01:40 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I have not been able to learn to like avocado.

I know a few people who don't like avocado due to the soft texture. Two of them have tried avocado shakes and liked them. Its good in the shake with a bit of sugar, or make it with bananas or chocolate syrup. I thought it might be kinda gross, but I was pleasantly surprised. I suppose its the nutty flavor and rich, creamy fats that go well in a shake. They make them at a Pho place near my work. They also make mango shakes Smile

I think I know what I'm getting for dinner.
30-10-2013, 01:49 PM
We usually have avocados in the house.

My wife likes them. I don't have much of an opinion on them. They literally taste like nothing to me... they barely have a flavor at all.

[Image: vjp09.gif]