My response to this article Romeny God Card

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2012, 05:15 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2012 05:19 PM by Question.)
My response to this article Romeny God Card
I had to do a current even for one of my classes so I picked this.
http://news.yahoo.com/playing-god-card-r...ction.html
I'm not too interested in politics but this was the only thing I saw worthy on commenting on.

so here is what I wrote. (It had to be double spaced so it's not a lot : P )

This article is about Mitt Romney’s new tactic to win over voters –The God Card. He used it to make it look like his opponent, current President Obama, is for removing God off of government issued money. He uses this tactic in a demeaning and false way to make it appear that he is more religious than Obama, so he will be the more likely winner in the end. Since Romney doesn’t have much going for him, he uses a weak tactic to win over the undecided voters in a feeble attempt to win over potential voters.
In early civilizations there soon came the need for a leader, and often it was a religious figure. Sadly, The United States of America has not evolved or moved on from this primitive motion. Instead of focusing on actual qualifications people focus on how much alike they are with the individual. Often this would put the people of said civilization into peril. The only interesting thing is that Romney is not the normal type of Christian, which is a nice change. He is proving the awful stereotypes of Mormons wrong.
Now I’m not saying Romney is going to be the next Hitler, I don’t think he’s shown any reason for me to come to that conclusion. It's simply about people elected Hitler because of his speeches, rather than looking at his qualifications. So is America making a mistake in repeating this?
I also take problem with what Romney and Obama are doing, much like the author said it feels like they’re ignoring atheists and agnostics, who are a part of our country. Often many are educated in the fields of science or just simple people who live their lives like everyday citizens. Although I wouldn’t go as far to claim its shoving God down their throats, merely it’s not being considerate to people of other faiths – and non-faiths.
I chose this article because I found it to be the most astonishingly least important part of a Presidential candidate. Voters worry too much of minor things like one man’s religion or skin color that they overlook what they plan to do for the US. Or they use a man’s religion to discourage others for voting for him, which isn’t much like the spirit of the United States.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Question's post
11-09-2012, 05:28 PM
RE: My response to this article Romeny God Card
Romney will do ANYTHING to keep the press from asking him if he has his magic undies on, or if he really believes he gets his own planet, and what happens to his "heaven", when his own personal private heavenly planet gets nailed by an asteroid.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
11-09-2012, 05:35 PM
I don't think I will ever grasp American politics... Most of it seems to be religion based fear mongering.

Why can't you guys just stick with the false promises like everybody else?

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
11-09-2012, 07:25 PM
(11-09-2012 05:35 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I don't think I will ever grasp American politics... Most of it seems to be religion based fear mongering.

Well, the Republicans mostly stick to religion and fear-mongering, and the Democrats go with lies and false promises.
11-09-2012, 07:30 PM
(11-09-2012 05:35 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I don't think I will ever grasp American politics... Most of it seems to be religion based fear mongering.

Religion == false promises.

N'est ce pas?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
11-09-2012, 10:02 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2012 10:39 PM by Phaedrus.)
Anyone who comes within ten feet of Pat Robertson without flipping the bird or spitting at that disgusting, rotting piece of degenerate filth is a zero in my books.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
11-09-2012, 10:18 PM
Very nice analysis, Red. I think you hit it spot on. Romney has so little substance that he has to pander to the loud Christian Right. I probably shouldn't be surprised because he's a dweeb, but I was surprised to see Pat Robertson on the stage endorsing Romney. I'm pretty sure Robertson's form of Christianity thinks Mormonism is a cult. He must be throwing fits that his choices are a Satanic Cultist or a person of color. Anyway, nice job. Thumbsup

Have you already turned it in? Because if not, I saw a typo or two.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
11-09-2012, 10:21 PM
(11-09-2012 10:18 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Very nice analysis, Red. I think you hit it spot on. Romney has so little substance that he has to pander to the loud Christian Right. I probably shouldn't be surprised because he's a dweeb, but I was surprised to see Pat Robertson on the stage endorsing Romney. I'm pretty sure Robertson's form of Christianity thinks Mormonism is a cult. He must be throwing fits that his choices are a Satanic Cultist or a person of color. Anyway, nice job. Thumbsup

It's due Friday and I'm going to print it out tomorrow. And point them out to me, I missed 2 days of class and need all the points I can get! There are also some things I'm going to change, like the layout and where everything is. You might have noticed how the Hitler comment came out of nowhere, I had a sentence explaining why it came up but I must have deleted it.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 1 user Likes Question's post
11-09-2012, 10:23 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2012 10:48 PM by Logisch.)
From the Oatmeal on how I feel about "The God Card" in a nutshell. From "How to suck at your religion."
[Image: vote.png]

(For the record, I have no interest in hybrid cars)

As mentioned above, it really is a pleading to the loud and religious portion of politics. It amazes me how much fear mongering is involved. It also amazes me how few people know that this stuff didn't exist in politics until after 1950 since it was added to stuff. The problem in politics with adding anything is that removing it becomes nearly impossible and causes an amount of fear mongering that is ridiculous.

"they wanna remove god!"
"OH NO! It's the end times!"

Before 1950...
"One nation.. indivisible... with liberty and justice for all."

Oh how horrrrrrible.

Can't make a legitimate point in stuff? Play the god card... everyone will come running.
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
11-09-2012, 10:33 PM
(11-09-2012 10:21 PM)Red Tornado Wrote:  
(11-09-2012 10:18 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Very nice analysis, Red. I think you hit it spot on. Romney has so little substance that he has to pander to the loud Christian Right. I probably shouldn't be surprised because he's a dweeb, but I was surprised to see Pat Robertson on the stage endorsing Romney. I'm pretty sure Robertson's form of Christianity thinks Mormonism is a cult. He must be throwing fits that his choices are a Satanic Cultist or a person of color. Anyway, nice job. Thumbsup

It's due Friday and I'm going to print it out tomorrow. And point them out to me, I missed 2 days of class and need all the points I can get! There are also some things I'm going to change, like the layout and where everything is. You might have noticed how the Hitler comment came out of nowhere, I had a sentence explaining why it came up but I must have deleted it.

I thought the Hitler card was played kind of out of nowhere. Except you made a good point about him being elected based on his speeches and not his qualifications.

Here are a couple of suggestions. Take 'em or leave 'em.

This article is about Mitt Romney’s new tactic to win over voters –playing The God Card. He used it to make it look like his opponent, current President Obama, is in favor of removing God off of government issued money. He uses this tactic in a demeaning and false way to make it appear that he is more religious than Obama, so he will be the more likely winner in the end. Since Romney doesn’t have much going for him, he uses a weak tactic to win over the undecided voters in a feeble attempt to win over potential voters.
In early civilizations there soon came the need for a leader, and often it was a religious figure. Sadly, The United States of America has not evolved or moved on from this primitive notion. Instead of focusing on actual qualifications people focus on how much alike they are with the individual. Often this would put the people of said civilization into peril. The only interesting thing is that Romney is not the normal type of Christian, which is a nice change. He is proving the awful stereotypes of Mormons wrong.
Now I’m not saying Romney is going to be the next Hitler, I don’t think he’s shown any reason for me to come to that conclusion. It's simply about people elected Hitler because of his speeches, rather than looking at his qualifications. So is America making a mistake in repeating this?
I also take issue with what Romney and Obama are doing, much like the author said it feels like they’re ignoring atheists and agnostics, who are a part of our country. Often many are educated in the fields of science or just simple people who live their lives like everyday citizens. Although I wouldn’t go as far to claim its shoving God down their throats, merely it’s not being considerate to people of other faiths – and non-faiths.
I chose this article because I found it to be the most astonishingly least important part of a Presidential candidate. Voters worry too much of minor things like one man’s religion or skin color that they overlook what they plan to do for the US. Or they use a man’s religion to discourage others for voting for him, which isn’t much like the spirit of the United States.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  A Harvard article: Censorship in China and field test HU.Junyuan 0 53 23-04-2014 07:47 PM
Last Post: HU.Junyuan
  Pulling the "race card" card (now with a poll) TheBeardedDude 279 4,231 03-08-2013 09:31 AM
Last Post: TheBeardedDude
  This isn't the petition response you're looking for. cheapthrillseaker 8 547 19-01-2013 12:33 PM
Last Post: Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver
  "Left vs Right: Can We Ever Get Along" article Buddy Christ 11 385 07-12-2012 06:31 PM
Last Post: earmuffs
  the race card Peterkin 10 694 15-02-2012 05:08 PM
Last Post: Peterkin
  An NPR article on Obama and his "war" on religion TheBeardedDude 3 538 09-01-2012 09:57 PM
Last Post: Starcrash