My second post...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2015, 11:16 AM
My second post...
Lets try this again. (This is beginning to take on the whole first day at school vibe... Stand up and introduce yourself, type of thing.)

I've been listening to the Thinking Atheist podcast for awhile now and found my way to this forum because of it being mentioned there. I still have not made my way through all the podcasts but I have listened to a good 60 or 70 of them now.

I was raised in a religion neutral home. Every once and awhile my parents would take the family to mass but it was so rare that it left no impression on me. I remember once when I asked my father about God he told me that it was I needed to figure out on my own if I believed in god or not. Over the course of several weeks a friend of mine and I hung out with a devout christian boy who was about to go off to college. Oh, I must have been about 10 years old. It was summer and we would spend those evenings looking at the stars and he would talk about god and Jesus. After several weeks, one night as I was lying in bed I decided say the sinners prayer he taught us. I wanted to be saved. I wanted the Holy Spirit to come into my life. I wanted a personal relationship with God. After saying a prayer. I remember that I felt exactly the same as I had before I said the prayer. I thought well maybe the Holy Spirit will show up at some later time. I so really wanted a personal relationship with god, Jesus, the holy spirit but nothing ever happened. After a few month's I thought I must have said the prayer wrong, so I did it again. Still no change. Funny, I was told that my life would change. But it didn't. After awhile I thought this is what being a Christian was. Praying to the empty air and receiving no reply back.

I already believed in evolution and knew the creation story in the Bible was a myth. Same thing with the Noah's Arc. So the "WORD OF GOD" really didn't mean much to me and considered it mythical. But I still considered my self "Christian". (It doesn't make sense, I know). Life moves on and I get married and I find myself still praying, asking god to come into my life. Nothing ever happened. When I was about 30 or so I considered myself a deist. There was a god, just not the Christian god. Then I dropped the deist kick, but I was still very spiritual. Then finally, I came to the realization that there was no god. You want to know something, the world makes much more sense without god in it. Really. It's refreshing knowing that god isn't there. I was just talking to an empty room all along. I feel kinda foolish now.

I am a terrible speller and have several warrants outstanding with the grammar police. I have been banned from the Christian website Charisma, because of a post titled "Zombie Jesus shambled into town..." (They didn't see the humor)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like Tiger Lee's post
23-09-2015, 11:22 AM
RE: My second post...
Awesome first post and I hope you enjoy your time here in our community.

I remember feeling the exact same way about prayer, so that part really resonated with me.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

23-09-2015, 11:28 AM
Welcome!
23-09-2015, 11:30 AM
Welcome, Tiger Lee.

And just to explain the thread title for readers who might be confused, we have repeat-offender whose technique is to post a first post that doesn't say much and once in, bombards the place with bible quotes. So the Forum Team raised the alert level from whatever the low alert colour is to a slightly higher alert colour (whatever that might be).

Poor ol' Tiger was asked for a bit more info before Moms took the door of the chain.

Sorry, Tiger.

Welcome to TTA.

Big Grin

23-09-2015, 11:33 AM
(23-09-2015 11:30 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Welcome, Tiger Lee.

And just to explain the thread title for readers who might be confused, we have repeat-offender whose technique is to post a first post that doesn't say much and once in, bombards the place with bible quotes. So the Forum Team raised the alert level from whatever the low alert colour is to a slightly higher alert colour (whatever that might be).

Poor ol' Tiger was asked for a bit more info before Moms took the door of the chain.

Sorry, Tiger.

Welcome to TTA.

Big Grin

Those damn cock pimples are the reason we can't have nice things. Tongue

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
23-09-2015, 11:34 AM
Welcome!
"Zombie Jesus Shambled Into Town" is an excellent post title. Thumbsup
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
23-09-2015, 11:39 AM
Damn the cock pimples, damn them

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
23-09-2015, 12:44 PM
Hello! Big Grin
24-09-2015, 04:15 PM
Welcome aboard, if you have any questions about theology, let me know, enjoy your stay. Thumbsup

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
26-09-2015, 12:04 PM
Welcome to the forum! I look forward to your future posts

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user