My short time on Suscipe Domine

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-01-2014, 10:26 AM
RE: My short time on Suscipe Domine
(01-01-2014 08:36 AM)Jayne Wrote:  I am starting with a difference set of epistemological assumptions from you. Catholic dogmas are axiomatic propositions in my thought system. They can't be challenged by evidence because they are evidence.

I am just as intellectually honest as anybody here, if judged within my own thought system, rather than by yours.

That's so sad. Every dogma has an historical context and completely human developmental history. To accept what ancient humans cooked up and accept it as having some sort of ultimate value is simply ignorance of the complex (totally non-unanimous) developmental process.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2014, 10:27 AM
Well well. So it didnt go peachy. And you were shocked...just stunned. GMAFB.

I read this entire thread and all I see is whining and moaning about intolerance and how any decent worldview can stand up to scrutiny so the mean old nutjobs at SD are just the dopes we thought they were.
And yet......Mr M zzzziliplix[Image: Mr_mxyzptlk_earth_one_whos_who.jpg] goes there and the first time he exposes his calvinist world view to scrutiny...and then gets some...he whines like a little girl how mean we Catholics are being. Meanwhile he knows very well that many Catholics like myself know who cauvain was and what he did to Catholics spiritually and physically during his alive time and ever since when his ridiculous mind screw of a worldview caught fire in the fashionable salons of European thought.
I suppose if Mr Mzzzplix went to an ADL forum and started spouting on about...how Martin Luther's anti Jewish comments should be considered with tolerance there.... and if they weren't?... well ....they are just closed minded nutjobs yall would be just as shocked. You guys wreck me really>
As for the Anti Catholic stuff posted here and all over the internet (anticatholicism being the only acceptable bigotry allowed in popular opinion)
I will engage you because I am certain Catholicism is true because of one very singular issue that atheists and nearly all other worldviews and noncatholic "christians" have no satisfactory answer or solution for.....that is the problem of evil.
I come from evil...I have personal experience with it...it is real and it is malevolent...and it has an intellect. I have seen it with my own eyes....experienced it in my deepest soul where much of it still resides to this moment.
PS
By way of introduction:
There are 2 fictional movie characters that represent from whence I come as a Loyal Catholic...just to help you get to know me quickly
This Guy
[img][Image: sSqViclinteastwood.gif][/img]
and this Guy:
[Image: goldenarmy.gif]
01-01-2014, 10:31 AM
(31-12-2013 05:53 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 05:40 PM)Jayne Wrote:  Thank you for the support. This is a perfect example of a person who is not the least bit open to having his (or her) ideas challenged. What he (or she) believes is "reality" and those who disagree believe a fairy-tale. A person who talks like this does not listen so it makes no difference that people are allowed to disagree without being banned.

You know you do have a point, I would say most of the active posters here are relatively secure in their positions but we get a ton of people here who do not post. The silent majority of this forum are people who are not sure of their position and it is for them that people debate. If you can make a good case for your position then you may just convert a few of those people.

As for the likes of me, yeah you'll never reach me. I know too much history, both biblical and of your church to ever believe it is of a divine mandate. I have met tons of catholics, I live in MD a very catholic state, and for the most part they are good people. But those are not your kind of catholic, they are the kind of catholic that SD despises. The christmas and easter catholic that only vaguely follows the church and thinks the new pope is just great.

Surprisingly we agree on the new Pope. I dislike him almost as much as you do and for some of the same reasons. He is disingenuous and seems to be playing very loose with the stated dogma for photo ops and headlines. Granted we do disagree what would be an improvement but that's life isn't it.

I for one would like you to stick around and defend your forum and your positions because for the most part the Catholic church does not get much defense here. But ultimately you are free to do as you see fit.

I agree. I joined about a year ago. I only started posting a few months ago, I've been secure in my beliefs for most of my adult life but in general don't post on forums, with TTA I read the forum a lot and got a feel for it. ... like I do with a lot of forums. I like this one BECAUSE it isn't heavily modded. It makes the assumption you're a reasonable, polite and well adjusted person and it's up to you to build on that or ruin it for yourself. ... I can't see how anyone can think those guys on that forum are ok or justified. Surely by their own doctrine they were supposed to try and bring KC to Christ (there version of) instead he just got bashed. They were pricks. They ruined it for the likes of Jayne and Mike. IMO

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
01-01-2014, 10:43 AM
Using 'axiom' and 'religion' in the same sentence surely poiints to some extreme delusional thinking..... and yet gave me a good chuckle.
01-01-2014, 11:05 AM
Hah KC,you forgot to close the portal

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
[+] 6 users Like Lightvader's post
01-01-2014, 11:38 AM
voxpop - Your posts are here: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...xx-from-SD

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
01-01-2014, 12:53 PM
(31-12-2013 11:46 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 05:49 PM)Jayne Wrote:  And atheists never create communities where they affirm their beliefs to one another. That is why TTA does not exist. /sarcasm off

You harbor a deep misunderstanding of this community. This place isn't about "affirming beliefs" at all. Atheism is itself fundamentally a considered rejection of unsubstantiated beliefs. We hold no common beliefs to "affirm to one another". I think I may be safe to say that the only things that we have in common is a disbelief in certain popular superstitious claims and a certain need to circle wagons against forces that would impose those superstitions on us and our children by force.

Online forums tend to operate on the basis of shared assumptions and values. This one may be a rare exception, but that seems unlikely.

Let me make some guesses about some common beliefs here:
Atheism is superior to theism.
Freedom of speech is very important.
There is no good reason to believe in God.
01-01-2014, 12:59 PM
(01-01-2014 12:53 PM)Jayne Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 11:46 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  You harbor a deep misunderstanding of this community. This place isn't about "affirming beliefs" at all. Atheism is itself fundamentally a considered rejection of unsubstantiated beliefs. We hold no common beliefs to "affirm to one another". I think I may be safe to say that the only things that we have in common is a disbelief in certain popular superstitious claims and a certain need to circle wagons against forces that would impose those superstitions on us and our children by force.

Online forums tend to operate on the basis of shared assumptions and values. This one may be a rare exception, but that seems unlikely.

Let me make some guesses about some common beliefs here:
Atheism is superior to theism.
Freedom of speech is very important.
There is no good reason to believe in God.

I'd say that is true for the majority of people here. We do have a population of theists, some of whom are well liked others not so much. As to freedom of speech yes that is big on this forum however not everyone is for it.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
01-01-2014, 01:01 PM
I have to say that I don't feel superior to anyone for any reason.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
01-01-2014, 01:01 PM
(31-12-2013 11:54 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 05:50 PM)Jayne Wrote:  I am on your home ground now. You can challenge any of my beliefs that you would like.

Your courage is admirable. Too bad that your participation here ever had to come down to a matter of courage. Hopefully you feel more welcome now that you are here. Are you ultimately here to profess your beliefs, and see them overcome any challenge, then? That's all good, it's just a different tack from your original goal of defending the SD forum, I would think.

No, I am not especially interested in professing my beliefs here. However, I am sure that I will encounter many statements that disagree with my beliefs. I am not interested in debating them and I do not expect them to affect my faith. I do not expect to see anything that I have not seen many times before. I have not seen anything new from an atheist for a long time.