My short time on Suscipe Domine

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-01-2014, 01:05 PM
RE: My short time on Suscipe Domine
(01-01-2014 12:53 PM)Jayne Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 11:46 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  You harbor a deep misunderstanding of this community. This place isn't about "affirming beliefs" at all. Atheism is itself fundamentally a considered rejection of unsubstantiated beliefs. We hold no common beliefs to "affirm to one another". I think I may be safe to say that the only things that we have in common is a disbelief in certain popular superstitious claims and a certain need to circle wagons against forces that would impose those superstitions on us and our children by force.

Online forums tend to operate on the basis of shared assumptions and values. This one may be a rare exception, but that seems unlikely.

Let me make some guesses about some common beliefs here:
Atheism is superior to theism.
Freedom of speech is very important.
There is no good reason to believe in God.

What beliefs are common here doesn't matter. What matters is that all beliefs are allowed without prejudice.
And trust me, we have people here who believe in some strange shit.
Nobody here gets banned for what he believes in.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Slowminded's post
01-01-2014, 01:07 PM
(01-01-2014 12:07 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Jayne, I wanted to highlight this for you to demonstrate what I was saying earlier about the (largely unspoken, but well-understood) sense of, or emphasis upon, the importance of rigorous intellectual honesty that I find here in this forum. I am reading and responding to this thread post-by-post, and I of course only just got to EH's post here, and here he is, emphasizing intellectual honesty, striking that same chord.

The SD forum cannot make such a claim. They can only claim to be openly honest about their intellectual DIShonesty, as you have earlier described. Can you see this?

In my experience, people are basically the same, whatever they believe about God. Intellectual honesty is a rare quality among both theists and atheists. I will be surprised if I find a lot of it here. However, I have not been here long enough to make a judgment on this.
01-01-2014, 01:13 PM
(01-01-2014 01:46 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Girly ain't sure what's going on here. Huh Are we beating the shit out of a Catholic just for being a Catholic? Jayne you a Catholic? ... So confused ... Huh

No, nobody is being mean to me here. People are being friendly and welcoming. Yes, I am a Catholic.

I had been thinking of improving my cred with the Catholics by getting a bunch of atheists to swear at me, but then voxpop came and stole my idea. So I might as well continue having a pleasant discussion.
[+] 6 users Like Jayne's post
01-01-2014, 01:15 PM
(01-01-2014 01:13 PM)Jayne Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 01:46 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Girly ain't sure what's going on here. Huh Are we beating the shit out of a Catholic just for being a Catholic? Jayne you a Catholic? ... So confused ... Huh

No, nobody is being mean to me here. People are being friendly and welcoming. Yes, I am a Catholic.

I had been thinking of improving my cred with the Catholics by getting a bunch of atheists to swear at me, but then voxpop came and stole my idea. So I might as well continue having a pleasant discussion.

I like that you have a sense of humor about it.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
01-01-2014, 01:16 PM
(01-01-2014 01:49 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  SD has no standards. Voxpopulisuxx gets away with breaking every rule they have. It's totally random enforcement of their (supposed) rules. As long as you support the right side, you get to say anything over there.

I think he gets away with stuff because he is a "character" rather than because he supports the right side. When he is outrageous people probably don't take it seriously.
01-01-2014, 01:19 PM
(01-01-2014 08:40 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 08:36 AM)Jayne Wrote:  I am starting with a difference set of epistemological assumptions from you. Catholic dogmas are axiomatic propositions in my thought system. They can't be challenged by evidence because they are evidence.

I am just as intellectually honest as anybody here, if judged within my own thought system, rather than by yours.

No, axioms are not evidence - they are assumptions. Drinking Beverage

That is called faith. You believe those things to be true without evidence.

Every thought system has assumptions. It is common for people to be unaware of their own assumptions because they assume them without thinking about them.

You assume that truth must be established by evidence. What is the evidence for this?
01-01-2014, 01:20 PM
Hey Jayne Smile Think you might have missed this reply (link) so throwing it out there again. Or maybe I'm just being impatient Tongue Or maybe no reply is necessary...

edit: I see you're going through the posts in order... So I was impatient Smile It OK I wait Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
01-01-2014, 01:21 PM
(01-01-2014 01:13 PM)Jayne Wrote:  

I don't think people get bashed here for their beliefs. Bashing happens when theists come in and try to forcibly convert and/or won't participate in regular conversation. I think most of us realize that there is more than one aspect to every person.

Henceforth I decree swearing be aimed at Voxx not Jayne. However, Jayne gets the Catholic cred. Voxx would be sworn at regardless of his faith. Tongue

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
01-01-2014, 01:23 PM
(01-01-2014 01:19 PM)Jayne Wrote:  You assume that truth must be established by evidence.

Not an assumption. A fact.

(01-01-2014 01:19 PM)Jayne Wrote:  What is the evidence for this?

The evidence resides in the fact that people do not believe in plenty of things for which there is no evidence to support their existences. Case in point, the tooth fairy. I am quite certain you do not believe the tooth fairy exists as you do your god, when there is just as much evidence in support of the tooth fairy as there is for your god.
01-01-2014, 01:24 PM
(01-01-2014 08:49 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 05:46 PM)Jayne Wrote:  So how often do people around here change their mind on deeply held positions?

We get some people here who are sitting on the fence about their beliefs. And guess what often makes them decide that they don't believe? Christians who come here and try to convert. There are so many rude and insulting Christians, it belies everything people thought the religion was supposed to embody.

I thought what happened to KC over there was a lot worse than the dirty words one encounters here. He came to learn from you, and ended up being asked about his beliefs and then was belittled - no actual conversation, he learned nothing except that he stepped into something unpleasant.

To me, that is a lot worse than people here employing a vocabulary that is not pious. If there is a god, and if he has any sense of justice, he is not going to like self righteous snobs who chase off people who come to learn about him.

Just saying.

I can't disagree with any of this. I object to rude and insulting Christians.