My short time on Suscipe Domine

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-01-2014, 02:05 PM
RE: My short time on Suscipe Domine
(01-01-2014 01:41 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 01:37 PM)Jayne Wrote:  I believe there is One God in Three Divine Persons, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Therefore there cannot be any other gods.

Well, in many, many places of the world, that makes you an atheist. You don't believe in the gods they were raised to believe in. They believe in them without a doubt, just like you believe in yours. It's simply a matter of where you happen to have been born. That culture will indoctrinate you to the exclusion of all others.

Sure, the charge against the Christians in ancient Rome was atheism. But that is not the way we use the word in this culture.

I was born and raised in a Jewish family and became an Evangelical Christian in my teens. I became a Catholic in my 20s. I do not think that it is reasonable to dismiss my beliefs as indoctrination. I chose to be Catholic.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2014, 02:07 PM
(01-01-2014 02:05 PM)Jayne Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 01:41 PM)Dom Wrote:  Well, in many, many places of the world, that makes you an atheist. You don't believe in the gods they were raised to believe in. They believe in them without a doubt, just like you believe in yours. It's simply a matter of where you happen to have been born. That culture will indoctrinate you to the exclusion of all others.

Sure, the charge against the Christians in ancient Rome was atheism. But that is not the way we use the word in this culture.

I was born and raised in a Jewish family and became an Evangelical Christian in my teens. I became a Catholic in my 20s. I do not think that it is reasonable to dismiss my beliefs as indoctrination. I chose to be Catholic.

Practicing Jewish family?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
01-01-2014, 02:12 PM
(01-01-2014 01:32 PM)morondog Wrote:  How are you confident then that your axioms are correct assumptions if you do not test them ? What alternative method would you use to verify claims ?

How about functionality? Am I a happy and productive person when I accept these assumptions?
01-01-2014, 02:15 PM
(01-01-2014 01:56 PM)morondog Wrote:  ...
Would it have been so hard to write clear instructions like what you get with a washing machine ?

Consider

Name me one person who has ever read the instructions that you get with a washing machine?

For more episodes of The Popularity of Christianity Explained, visit www.Christianity Explained

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
01-01-2014, 02:15 PM
(01-01-2014 02:12 PM)Jayne Wrote:  Am I a happy and productive person when I accept these assumptions?

Is it worth it to have a false sense of happiness by believing in something false?

As is the case with most atheists who were once theists, we find true happiness once we are free of the lies religion fed us.
01-01-2014, 02:18 PM
(01-01-2014 01:42 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 01:37 PM)Jayne Wrote:  I believe there is One God in Three Divine Persons, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Therefore there cannot be any other gods. Anything else that is called a god either does not exist or is a demon or perhaps represents a Jungian archetype.

I find it unlikely that your reasoning for rejecting the existence of God resembles mine very closely.

What led you to the One God 3 Divine Persons conclusion ?

If something whispers in your ear late at night you now have five options:
a. it's in your head.
b. it's God the 3 in 1 giving you Divine Instructions.
c. it's a Jungian archetype of God giving you Slightly Less Divine Instructions.
d. it's a demon.
e. it's a filthy heathen making a debate point.

How do you tell which ?

I accept the Catholic Church as a source of truth and the Church teaches there is One God in Three Divine Persons. If I hear whisperings in the night I compare it against Church teaching. If the whispering is compatible then I consider it likely that it was God. Otherwise it was not.
01-01-2014, 02:18 PM
(01-01-2014 02:12 PM)Jayne Wrote:  ..

Hey Jayne, you better start damning us to hell soon , otherwise when your friends over SD find out that your are getting along with us this well, they might ban you.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
01-01-2014, 02:19 PM
(01-01-2014 01:57 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  ...
You have +4 reps from 2 days,

If there isn't a Predicitions of the Year thread, someone should start one.

Here's mine...

Jayne to be Mod within a year and to be Admin after KC steps down after the teasing he was getting after confessing his atheism after the voices in his head...

Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
01-01-2014, 02:21 PM
(01-01-2014 01:56 PM)Foxen Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 01:51 PM)Jayne Wrote:  I have a Master of Divinity degree.

Quite a useless degree.

Precisely why I took it. If I had a useful degree, I might have to get a job.
[+] 6 users Like Jayne's post
01-01-2014, 02:24 PM
(01-01-2014 01:57 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  I like you,jayne. But i dislike the asshole you brought with you.

I sooo did not bring him with me. I was looking forward to getting away from him here.
[+] 1 user Likes Jayne's post