My short time on Suscipe Domine

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-01-2014, 02:24 PM
RE: My short time on Suscipe Domine
I've got one question to Jayne, before the cheerleading squad gets all mushy about her "good attitude" in here.

Do you actively participate in indoctrinating children into this beliefe system of yours ? or do you give them all types of religious and scientific information and education until their old enough to make up their own mind ?

I'm not a gambling man, but I'd put some money on the answere I think will hold true..... if your honest.

Hitch used to love this one....... Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
01-01-2014, 02:31 PM
(01-01-2014 02:00 PM)War Horse Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 01:51 PM)Jayne Wrote:  I have a Master of Divinity degree. I probably know more about how Catholic dogmas developed than you or most people. I think that God often works through human agents so the historical development of dogmas in no way precludes their divine origin.

Hmm, ego? ( master of divinty degree, I know more....), like that means anything. And what proof do you have that it's actually god working through human agents ?

A M.Div means that I have studied Christianity at a Masters level. This implies that it is unreasonable to dismiss my beliefs as based on ignorance.

I don't have that much of a problem with people not believing in God. I am concerned that they are likely to go to hell, but it does not offend me or anything. But it bugs me when people who do not believe in God tell me that the reason I do is that I am ignorant or stupid or delusional. Especially people who do not even know me. Wouldn't it make more sense for people to get to know me a bit before they start to insult me? There would be so much more ammunition then.
01-01-2014, 02:35 PM
(01-01-2014 02:31 PM)Jayne Wrote:  This implies that it is unreasonable to dismiss my beliefs as based on ignorance.

No, it implies that you have a degree in relation to the study of fairy tales.

One can have a theological degree in relation to ancient greek mythology, but it does not mean Zeus is real.
[+] 4 users Like Foxen's post
01-01-2014, 02:37 PM
(01-01-2014 02:31 PM)Jayne Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 02:00 PM)War Horse Wrote:  Hmm, ego? ( master of divinty degree, I know more....), like that means anything. And what proof do you have that it's actually god working through human agents ?

A M.Div means that I have studied Christianity at a Masters level. This implies that it is unreasonable to dismiss my beliefs as based on ignorance.

I don't have that much of a problem with people not believing in God. I am concerned that they are likely to go to hell, but it does not offend me or anything. But it bugs me when people who do not believe in God tell me that the reason I do is that I am ignorant or stupid or delusional. Especially people who do not even know me. Wouldn't it make more sense for people to get to know me a bit before they start to insult me? There would be so much more ammunition then.

Well, I don't think you are stupid or ignorant, but I do think you are delusional. I don't mean that as offence, I also think KC is delusional as is my favorite aunt.

Delusions don't have anything to do with intelligence or education.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
01-01-2014, 02:43 PM
(01-01-2014 02:24 PM)War Horse Wrote:  I've got one question to Jayne, before the cheerleading squad gets all mushy about her "good attitude" in here.

Do you actively participate in indoctrinating children into this beliefe system of yours ? or do you give them all types of religious and scientific information and education until their old enough to make up their own mind ?

I'm not a gambling man, but I'd put some money on the answere I think will hold true..... if your honest.

Hitch used to love this one....... Wink

I teach my children what I believe is the truth. From your perspective, I suppose that means I am indoctrinating them. I am doing the best that I can to lead my children to be Catholic. This has no effect on the scientific information that I give them, since science is not at all harmful to Faith.

So, do I get some persecution now? I have been starting to worry about how all this friendliness will look to the Catholics.
01-01-2014, 02:45 PM
(01-01-2014 02:35 PM)Foxen Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 02:31 PM)Jayne Wrote:  This implies that it is unreasonable to dismiss my beliefs as based on ignorance.

No, it implies that you have a degree in relation to the study of fairy tales.

One can have a theological degree in relation to ancient greek mythology, but it does not mean Zeus is real.

It might not mean that Zeus is real, but it would be silly to tell a person with such a degree that he is ignorant of Greek mythology.
[+] 3 users Like Jayne's post
01-01-2014, 02:54 PM
(01-01-2014 02:45 PM)Jayne Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 02:35 PM)Foxen Wrote:  No, it implies that you have a degree in relation to the study of fairy tales.

It might not mean that Zeus is real, but it would be silly to tell a person with such a degree that he is ignorant of Greek mythology.

That is true but if they were to profess that they believe that all the tales of Zeus were true would you not question them? How do you explain the contradictions and the lack of any outside confirmation of most of the biblical accounts?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
01-01-2014, 02:58 PM
(01-01-2014 02:18 PM)Jayne Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 01:42 PM)morondog Wrote:  What led you to the One God 3 Divine Persons conclusion ?

If something whispers in your ear late at night you now have five options:
a. it's in your head.
b. it's God the 3 in 1 giving you Divine Instructions.
c. it's a Jungian archetype of God giving you Slightly Less Divine Instructions.
d. it's a demon.
e. it's a filthy heathen making a debate point.

How do you tell which ?

I accept the Catholic Church as a source of truth and the Church teaches there is One God in Three Divine Persons. If I hear whisperings in the night I compare it against Church teaching. If the whispering is compatible then I consider it likely that it was God. Otherwise it was not.
You have a fine system in place already to determine what god's words are and what words your internal dialogue offers you. May I ask when precisely do you hear these whispers? Are they just before you fall to sleep or are you fully awake?

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
01-01-2014, 02:59 PM
(01-01-2014 02:43 PM)Jayne Wrote:  I teach my children what I believe is the truth. From your perspective, I suppose that means I am indoctrinating them. I am doing the best that I can to lead my children to be Catholic. This has no effect on the scientific information that I give them, since science is not at all harmful to Faith.

So, do I get some persecution now? I have been starting to worry about how all this friendliness will look to the Catholics.

Look , I was raised Roman Catholic and went to catholic school, and was also a alter boy for a few years. That being said, I saw, even at that age, the contradictions and mythology of it all, not to mention the hypocrisy.

I was one of the lucky ones to walk away without doubting that the stories werent true. Just a bit scary to a young child, but then again so was Hansel and Gretel.

Its great for children to have a 'make believe friend' and then grow out of it, but what your doing is child abuse.

If you want to call this 'persecution' to satisfy your need to suffer, than so be it.
[+] 2 users Like War Horse's post
01-01-2014, 03:01 PM
(01-01-2014 01:16 PM)Jayne Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 01:49 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  SD has no standards. Voxpopulisuxx gets away with breaking every rule they have. It's totally random enforcement of their (supposed) rules. As long as you support the right side, you get to say anything over there.

I think he gets away with stuff because he is a "character" rather than because he supports the right side. When he is outrageous people probably don't take it seriously.
You have some nerve Jayne. You know very well I dont get away with anything especially since you have it as your mission to report every post I ever make to the moderators. You are very disengenuous here playing the good cop all pure one. How many bans have you had at SD Jayne...and how many have you lobbied for of others?
For the record I get a ban almost monthly for some thing or another. I accept them and if I can change what got me banned I try to. Im a real person not a cardboard cut out...I have faults and they get me in trouble....So bucky ball you dont know what the hell your talking about.