My short time on Suscipe Domine

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-01-2014, 03:18 PM
RE: My short time on Suscipe Domine
(01-01-2014 03:16 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 03:14 PM)Jayne Wrote:  Is there a smiley here for "well that joke went over his head"?

Frusty That work?

Close but not quite the nuances I wanted.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2014, 03:18 PM
(01-01-2014 03:14 PM)Jayne Wrote:  Is there a smiley here for "well that joke went over his head"?

Hmmm, well please explain the joke to me in a way that a dullard like me can understand.
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
01-01-2014, 03:19 PM
(01-01-2014 02:18 PM)Jayne Wrote:  I accept the Catholic Church as a source of truth and the Church teaches there is One God in Three Divine Persons. If I hear whisperings in the night I compare it against Church teaching. If the whispering is compatible then I consider it likely that it was God. Otherwise it was not.

Why do you accept the Catholic church as being a source of truth ? Who in the church determines that this teaching is right ? Why would you trust them ?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
01-01-2014, 03:23 PM
(01-01-2014 03:18 PM)War Horse Wrote:  

Hmmm, well please explain the joke to me in a way that a dullard like me can understand.

There has been a running gag through this thread about me getting in trouble with Catholics for having atheists be friendly with me. I don't really have a need for persecution. It is perfectly fine with me if you don't persecute me at all.
01-01-2014, 03:24 PM
(01-01-2014 01:37 PM)Jayne Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 09:31 AM)Chas Wrote:  Yes, it is wordplay, but it is wordplay with a point. The point is that you do not believe in other gods, e.g. Baal, Jove, Mithras, and so on. Why do you reject these gods? When you have determined why you reject all of those, you will have some understanding of why I reject yours.

I believe there is One God in Three Divine Persons, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Therefore there cannot be any other gods. Anything else that is called a god either does not exist or is a demon or perhaps represents a Jungian archetype.

I find it unlikely that your reasoning for rejecting the existence of God resembles mine very closely.

So you looked at the Catholic conception of god, who by definitional fiat is the only god, and upon that assumption you have dismissed all other god claims.

Please excuse me if I'm not terribly impressed by this (lack of) reasoning. Drinking Beverage

So let's use your same logic, and swap out Yahweh for Lord Brahma.

Quote:I believe there is One God in Three Divine Persons (the Trimūrti), Lord Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva. Therefore there cannot be any other gods.

Well, hot damn! Would you look at that? Yahweh can't exist because Lord Brahma already exists! Now you have to ask yourself, did I just evidently prove the factual existence of Hindu pantheon? If your answer is 'no' (note for the slow: that is the correct answer), then the same applies to your god. The problem is that you never applied the same level of skepticism to your own god concept, as you did to other god concepts. You are not being anywhere near objective in your search for truth.

Are you familiar with John W. Loftus? Of course not, because you would fail the Outsider Test for Faith miserably.

IronChariots.org Wrote:The Outsider test for faith (OTF) is a criterion for rational belief. Religious affiliation is largely determined by that of one's parents and native country. Believers are encouraged to test their beliefs by trying to see them from the perspective of someone outside the faith. Using this criterion, believers would be required to treat books such as the Bible with the same critical skepticism that they would apply to competing holy books, such as the Koran or the Book of Mormon.

http://wiki.ironchariots.org/index.php?t...sider_test

Robert Green Ingersol Wrote:All that is necessary, as it seems to me, to convince any reasonable person that the Bible is simply and purely of human invention -- of barbarian invention -- is to read it. Read it as you would any other book; think of it as you would of any other; get the bandage of reverence from your eyes; drive from your heart the phantom of fear; push from the throne of your brain the coiled form of superstition -- then read the Holy Bible, and you will be amazed that you ever, for one moment, supposed a being of infinite wisdom, goodness and purity, to be the author of such ignorance and of such atrocity.
-"The Gods" (1872)

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 6 users Like EvolutionKills's post
01-01-2014, 03:24 PM
(01-01-2014 02:12 PM)Jayne Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 01:32 PM)morondog Wrote:  How are you confident then that your axioms are correct assumptions if you do not test them ? What alternative method would you use to verify claims ?

How about functionality? Am I a happy and productive person when I accept these assumptions?

Um... but I'm happy and productive without them. How can you say confidently that your claims accurately capture objective reality then ?

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
01-01-2014, 03:25 PM
(31-12-2013 05:23 PM)Jayne Wrote:  Just to clarify, I am not here to talk about Catholicism or preach at people.

(01-01-2014 02:54 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  ...
How do you explain the contradictions and the lack of any outside confirmation of most of the biblical accounts?

Tsk, tsk, Rev.

Are we going to see a repeat of what happened to KC over at SD?

No

01-01-2014, 03:26 PM
(01-01-2014 03:18 PM)Jayne Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 03:16 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Frusty That work?

Close but not quite the nuances I wanted.

Try this one:
[Image: tumblr_m5rbn39SHo1rwcc6bo1_500.gif]

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
01-01-2014, 03:28 PM
(01-01-2014 03:23 PM)Jayne Wrote:  I don't really have a need for persecution. It is perfectly fine with me if you don't persecute me at all.

This is a cute kitty:
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQdAVaKjp65gMXjHehPZh...i07t_wy73Q]

His name is Percy...

[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
01-01-2014, 03:28 PM
(01-01-2014 03:17 PM)Jayne Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 03:15 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  We can start with this and move on if you like.

I really don't want to spend an hour watching a video. Can't you just say something in your own words?

There is no archaeological evidence for anything put forth in the first 5 books of the bible. The amount of digging done in the area is so extensive that at this point absence of evidence is evidence of absence. Garden of Eden did not happen, Flood myth did not happen, Exodus did not happen, conquest of Canaan did not happen, Up to the point that the only reference to King David is 1 egyptian scroll listing defeated Military leaders that mentions someone claiming to be "Of the house of David". Jerusalem was a small mountain outpost in the time of David and his supposed son Solomon not a great capital of an empire that no one else ever mentions.

As to biblical contradictions lets start with Genesis and the 2 accounts of creation that are non compatible. Different orders for when stuff was made showing the fact that it was cobbled together from various oral traditions not inspired by some as yet unimagined Omnimax god. Yahweh was a member of the Canaanite pantheon the 60th son of El-Elyon and lord of hosts (god of the army) and only held sway in the lands of Canaan.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post