My short time on Suscipe Domine

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-01-2014, 10:12 PM
RE: My short time on Suscipe Domine
(01-01-2014 09:24 AM)Jayne Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 10:54 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  I might suggest that the better question would be, how many of us are open to changing our understanding of the world in response to new evidence. Would you agree?

I do not agree. This question assumes that we have common assumptions about what constitutes evidence.

As Chas pointed out (though it might be easily overlooked because the quote function got screwy) there is a standard definition of what evidence is: "Evidence has a clear definition. It is fact that can be verified by others. If it cannot be, then it is not evidence."

Quote:We do not share epistemological assumptions. We give different answers to the question of "how does one know what is true".

I am not sure that question is actually epistemological. My understanding of epistemology would have that question be, "how do we know what we know".

I do understand that we do not share paradigms, but evidence is evidence is evidence. Equivocating the meaning of evidence seems somewhat less than intellectually honest.

Quote:That is the level at which one must begin to question.

Well, that's easy, and for the reasons I stated above.

Quote:(I did watch the video, but I do not think that it addresses this aspect of things at all.)

I don't think it has to, because it assumes a basic willingness to adhere to intellectual honesty, without which unfortunately there cannot be any meaningful discussion or exchange of information at all.

Quote:
Quote:It seems to me that you may be casting atheism as some sort of belief. Let me clear away that misinterpretation right away. A-theism is non- belief in any particular deity. You don't believe in Ball or Ganesh; in that sense you are an atheist as well. I just believe in one less deity than you do.

Atheism can be used in two different senses. It can mean lack of belief in gods or it can mean belief in lack of gods.

Some call that the difference between "agnostic atheism" and "gnostic atheism".

Quote: I have seen these two forms referred to as weak atheism and strong atheism respectively.

That, too. Of course, there is another

Quote:A person, such as myself, who believes in a deity cannot be called an atheist in a meaningful way. You are just playing with words.

No, not at all. You are atheistic toward Ganesh: you don't believe that that deity really exists. You might or might not be gnostically atheistic toward this Ganesh deity, depending on your level of certainty that the Ganesh myth is a myth. Note that I am saying "atheistic" rather than calling you "an atheist"; I hope that clarifies my explanation somewhat.

Do you not believe the stories that this Ganesh exists, or is it your position that Ganesh does not exist at all? Baal? Wotan? Either way, your disbelief in these myths is eminently relevant to this discussion here.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2014, 10:13 PM
(01-01-2014 02:43 PM)Jayne Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 02:24 PM)War Horse Wrote:  I've got one question to Jayne, before the cheerleading squad gets all mushy about her "good attitude" in here.

Do you actively participate in indoctrinating children into this beliefe system of yours ? or do you give them all types of religious and scientific information and education until their old enough to make up their own mind ?

I'm not a gambling man, but I'd put some money on the answere I think will hold true..... if your honest.

Hitch used to love this one....... Wink

I teach my children what I believe is the truth. From your perspective, I suppose that means I am indoctrinating them. I am doing the best that I can to lead my children to be Catholic. This has no effect on the scientific information that I give them, since science is not at all harmful to Faith.

I don't agree that there is no conflict between science and faith, but as long as you allow them access to all views I have no beef with that.

Quote:So, do I get some persecution now? I have been starting to worry about how all this friendliness will look to the Catholics.

Sorry, no persecution. We are evil, but we are subtle - we will kill you with kindness. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-01-2014, 10:21 PM
(01-01-2014 08:36 AM)Jayne Wrote:  I am starting with a difference set of epistemological assumptions from you.

Actually, I'm not sure we are starting with any assumptions, with respect to your statement above..

Quote:Catholic dogmas are axiomatic propositions in my thought system.

But catholic dogmas change. They can't be axiomatic.

Quote: They can't be challenged by evidence because they are evidence.

This statement leads me to suspect that you don't know the meaning of the word "evidence".

Quote:I am just as intellectually honest as anybody here, if judged within my own thought system, rather than by yours.

But your explanation above clearly illustrates that your "thought system", as you call it, is itself not intellectually honest. To take this to an extreme for illustrative purposes, to a pathological liar, he is intellectually honest within his own thought system. But his thought system is intrinsically dishonest in the real world, which puts him being intellectually dishonest.

01-01-2014, 10:21 PM
(01-01-2014 10:07 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I wonder how long it will be before Taq, who systematically replies to each post as he reads them, will realise that he is replying to someone who has been instructed never to return.

Read the whole thread before replying, you daft twat!

Big Grin

Him and Chas are doing the same thing. Laugh out load

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
01-01-2014, 10:25 PM
(01-01-2014 05:59 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  http://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index...ic=1181.45 look at the latest post lawls

It appears that I have been banned. This was not for anything I posted - looks like I am guilty because I am on TTA. Consider

Wow, those people are freakin' paranoid. Angry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
01-01-2014, 10:25 PM
(01-01-2014 08:45 AM)Jayne Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 06:05 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Wow. Is that you? Angel

It is Greg's perception of me. He doesn't like me, so he needs to find some way to explain it to himself when I say something he agrees with. I think that he is basically wrong, although I suppose that I do like some attention. I don't like being ignored.

I saw that voxpop idiot also saying some nasty things about you as well.

I could see right through his blustering defensiveness. And FWIW, everything you said about him was spot on. I mean, really -- what an ass.

01-01-2014, 10:28 PM
(01-01-2014 10:07 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I wonder how long it will be before Taq, who systematically replies to each post as he reads them, will realise that he is replying to someone who has been instructed never to return.

Read the whole thread before replying, you daft twat!

Big Grin

LOL -- that's LOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRDDDDDDDD Daft Twat to you!

Big Grin

....but I will read read through it, if only to make you feel......significant...or something....

[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
01-01-2014, 10:31 PM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2014 10:35 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(01-01-2014 10:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 05:59 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  http://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index...ic=1181.45 look at the latest post lawls

It appears that I have been banned. This was not for anything I posted - looks like I am guilty because I am on TTA. Consider

Wow, those people are freakin' paranoid. Angry

Me too. I never posted anything ... ever.
They must be tracking IP addresses somehow ?
Like that will stop me. Haha.
Anyway ... they're having an absolute BIRD over there about THIS :
http://www.zenit.org/en/articles/pope-fr...god-s-plan
What is so bad about this ? I don't get it.
Those self-righteous idiots would actually ban the Pope himself, if he were a member there, apparently.
Pretty telling they are SO fearful of having their cult attacked or questioned.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
01-01-2014, 10:33 PM
Lord Daft Twat.

Another good band name! Big Grin

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
01-01-2014, 10:44 PM
Let's see.

SD summarily banned all those who joined there from here today, (for reasons only known by staff members), and at the same time, those who recently joined here from there, are more than welcome to stay.