My short time on Suscipe Domine

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-12-2013, 12:10 PM
RE: My short time on Suscipe Domine
(31-12-2013 11:59 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 11:54 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I'm a lurker on SD, and I was following the thread in question. Some of them are pretty rude, but then, so are some people here. And some of them are quite reasonable. That's the internet.

You can't judge Catholics in general by SD (I know this because I have been a Catholic, and nominally, still am one). The folks at SD are by definition an extreme group -- they are "traditional" Catholics who think that everything in the Church has gone wrong since Vatican II in the early 1960s. Some of them think that the Catholic Church hasn't had a legitimate Pope since before Vatican II. The vast majority of them don't like the current Pope, and some go so far as to call him a heretic. So they are not exactly representative Catholics.

Some traditional Catholic doctrines, such as EENS ("No salvation outside the Church" -- meaning that if you are not a baptized, believing Catholic, you're going to Hell -- doesn't matter what kind of person you are) are as extreme as anything in Calvinism. And the main Calvinist doctrine that people tend to think of as unreasonable -- predestination -- is shared by traditional Catholics, although it is understood differently. As far as I can see, the theological differences between Calvinism and Catholicism are realtively minor -- but they like to get bent out of shape over anybody who doesn't think exactly as they do. If you differ on any point of doctrine whatsoever, you're a heretic and you're going to Hell. They really like to call people (even each other) heretics.

If you think they're bad, take a look at Cathinfo some time. Those people make the SD crowd look downright tolerant.

I will agree that we have rude people here, however we do not muzzle anyone. If one of our rude members were to go after you here, you would be free to return fire and defend yourself without fear of being banned.

Right, and that's one of the reasons I don't post there -- I can't argue with them without breaking their rules. But in a way their position is reasonable. If their beliefs actually are "the truth" -- and they are oh so sure that this is the case -- why tolerate any dissent? It's impossible to argue with someone who "knows" that he or she is right. So I don't even waste my time anymore. That's why I am a member and active poster here, and only a lurker there.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-12-2013, 12:14 PM (This post was last modified: 31-12-2013 12:19 PM by houseofcantor.)
Imma go over there...

WTF??? I go over there, make an account, the thread's closed. You already banned, or what?

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-12-2013, 12:14 PM
(31-12-2013 12:14 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Imma go over there...

Oh shit. Shocking

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
31-12-2013, 12:15 PM

Link please.
31-12-2013, 12:15 PM

They will send you back in several little boxes smelling of Frankincense

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 4 users Like The Germans are coming's post
31-12-2013, 12:20 PM
I don't know what happened. I give KC shit about rep, but he's one of the best peeps I know virtually and I was gonna go "waive the flag," but now I'm lost. Angry

31-12-2013, 12:20 PM
(31-12-2013 12:15 PM)Jasozz Wrote:  

Link please.

http://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php
31-12-2013, 12:24 PM
(31-12-2013 12:20 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 12:15 PM)Jasozz Wrote:  Link please.

http://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php

Hahah, no, I meant if if HoC made a thread over there...
31-12-2013, 12:26 PM
(31-12-2013 12:24 PM)Jasozz Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 12:20 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  http://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php

Hahah, no, I meant if if HoC made a thread over there...

http://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index...pic=5103.0

Thumbsup

I do not intend an extended interaction, but if they're giving my man KC shit, I wanna throw some back. We'll see what happens. Big Grin

[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
31-12-2013, 12:28 PM
(31-12-2013 12:20 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I don't know what happened. I give KC shit about rep, but he's one of the best peeps I know virtually and I was gonna go "waive the flag," but now I'm lost. Angry

They probably won't ban him, since he left voluntarily -- but they closed that thread because it was getting out of hand by their standards. They do that a lot. Nothing to stop you from starting a new thread and raising hell until they ban you, though.

Big Grin