My short time on Suscipe Domine

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2014, 08:44 AM
RE: My short time on Suscipe Domine
(02-01-2014 07:14 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 06:01 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Well, no -- that's actually one of my beefs with Catholicism. Once a dogma, always a dogma. They absolutely do not change, no matter how silly they may be. The idea that a dogma can change would cause any of those people over at SD to bust a blood vessel...

Meat on Friday?

Unbaptized babies in Limbo?

The infallibility of the Pope? (a doctrine literally younger than the invention of the elevator)

Drinking Beverage

(No) meat on Friday is a practice, not a dogma. That kind of thing is changeable at the discretion of the Church. Papal infallibility is a dogma, but doesn't mean what most people think. It's not that he can't ever be wrong about anything. He is only "infallible" when he speaks ex cathedra, which is very rare. Not sure about babies and Limbo. But a dogma is by definition an eternal, undeniable truth. Once the Church declares something as a dogma, it is true forever, and all Catholics are obligated to believe and accept it. Of course, there are many Catholics who do not accept all of the dogmas, but they are not very good Catholics. Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2014, 08:53 AM
(02-01-2014 06:13 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Now you have to share. What's the "best" dogma that Catholics are still applying today?

"Best" in what sense? Wackiest? Hardest to believe/accept in the modern world? Or best in the literal sense of the word?

Some pretty wacky ones: (1) The belief that at every Mass, bread and wine are magically transformed into the Body and Blood of Christ, and that this is real, not just symbolism (and that regularly eating the Body and Blood of Christ is a good thing to do). (2) The belief that every human being ever born has somehow inherited "original sin" because two people thousands of years ago ate some fruit that they weren't supposed to eat, and that God becoming man and allowing us to kill him (a much worse crime, I would think, than anything Adam and Eve did) somehow makes everything OK. (3) EENS -- this stands for some Latin phrase that I can't remember, but it translates to "No salvation outside the Church" -- meaning that if you are not a baptized, believing Catholic, you're going to burn in Hell forever. No ifs, ands, or buts.

That should hold us for now. Of course, Hindus and Muslims and Mormons believe equally wacky shit. No religion is immune from it.
02-01-2014, 09:00 AM
(02-01-2014 08:20 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 02:12 AM)morondog Wrote:  Waa Jayne left Sad

Yeah, too bad. I really love those submissive Catholic girls. Dodgy

How many do you want?

Price includes postage and packing.

Drinking Beverage

02-01-2014, 09:02 AM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2014 09:06 AM by DLJ.)
(02-01-2014 08:44 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  ... good Catholics. Big Grin

An oxymoron?

Wink

Oh and... Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

But perhaps that means: No extra salad cream.

02-01-2014, 09:28 AM
(02-01-2014 09:00 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 08:20 AM)Chas Wrote:  Yeah, too bad. I really love those submissive Catholic girls. Dodgy

How many do you want?

Drinking Beverage

Is there a quantity discount? Warranty? What is your return policy? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
02-01-2014, 09:32 AM
(02-01-2014 09:28 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 09:00 AM)DLJ Wrote:  How many do you want?

Drinking Beverage

Is there a quantity discount? Warranty? What is your return policy? Consider

Refund if returned seal unbroken. Drinking Beverage

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
02-01-2014, 09:33 AM
I just don't understand anyone who would allow someone else to control them via the internet.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
02-01-2014, 09:48 AM
(02-01-2014 09:33 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I just don't understand anyone who would allow someone else to control them via the internet.

Look at it this way -- that forum is a home of sorts for her. It's a place where she can socially interact with other traditional Catholics (who can be hard to find in the real world). It's not that she's afraid of the forum owner or intimidated by him -- but if she defies him, she might get banned, and then wouldn't have that "home" anymore. She has already been banned from Fisheaters -- she doesn't want to lose SD as well.

I find that understandable. Sad, but understandable.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
02-01-2014, 09:51 AM
(02-01-2014 09:48 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 09:33 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I just don't understand anyone who would allow someone else to control them via the internet.

Look at it this way -- that forum is a home of sorts for her. It's a place where she can socially interact with other traditional Catholics (who can be hard to find in the real world). It's not that she's afraid of the forum owner or intimidated by him -- but if she defies him, she might get banned, and then wouldn't have that "home" anymore. She has already been banned from Fisheaters -- she doesn't want to lose SD as well.

Ummm, that's pretty much the definition of 'intimidated'. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-01-2014, 09:53 AM
(02-01-2014 09:51 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 09:48 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Look at it this way -- that forum is a home of sorts for her. It's a place where she can socially interact with other traditional Catholics (who can be hard to find in the real world). It's not that she's afraid of the forum owner or intimidated by him -- but if she defies him, she might get banned, and then wouldn't have that "home" anymore. She has already been banned from Fisheaters -- she doesn't want to lose SD as well.

Ummm, that's pretty much the definition of 'intimidated'. Drinking Beverage

Gestapo tactics, So you wish to keep this thing you have, well you must do exactly as I say or I shall take it from you. Cheesehead is a bully plain and simple.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post