My short time on Suscipe Domine

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2014, 10:58 PM
RE: My short time on Suscipe Domine
(02-01-2014 10:19 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 06:01 PM)crazylikeyou Wrote:  KC have you been to mass before? I've heard protestants say they really like all the rituals and stuff.

I ask this as an ex-catholic
I miss the rituals sometimes, but that is about it.

I did when I was a kid. My best friend was Catholic. The church and the service weirded me out. I felt like I couldn't move or I would get in trouble. It was just way too solemn for me.

My dad's side is catholic (all nine of them) so I've been to mass a few times. The rituals could be kinda neat, but what weirded me out is the fact that everyone does them like robots. No one really seems to enjoy it, it's just a call and response. As an outsider it's really unnerving, one second you're just sitting there, the next everyone around you is on their knees, or standing. You don't know what to do, and feel awkward because of it. The lines are delivered in latin in unison by people who don't seem to know or care what it means, they just recite what is expected. It's an odd experience, at least from what I've observed. Then when mass is over, we all drink and cuss and party like it never happened.

That said, my catholic family is some of the bestest, kindest people you'll ever meet. May have something to do with the "don't seem to know or care what it means". My only concern is with how they vote.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
02-01-2014, 11:14 PM
(02-01-2014 10:58 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 10:19 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I did when I was a kid. My best friend was Catholic. The church and the service weirded me out. I felt like I couldn't move or I would get in trouble. It was just way too solemn for me.

The rituals could be kinda neat, but what weirded me out is the fact that everyone does them like robots. No one really seems to enjoy it, it's just a call and response. As an outsider it's really unnerving, one second you're just sitting there, the next everyone around you is on their knees, or standing. You don't know what to do, and feel awkward because of it. The lines are delivered in latin in unison by people who don't seem to know or care what it means, they just recite what is expected. It's an odd experience, at least from what I've observed.

As an ex-Catholic, all I can say is, AMEN!
[+] 2 users Like TheBear's post
03-01-2014, 01:35 AM
Hmmmm, looks like Jayne is no different than the others. And, they talk about deceiving but she speaks with a forked tongue.

From this topic:

http://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index...pic=5121.0

I've said my good-byes at TTA.

I can now see that there are good reasons that I should not post there. I should not have gone there in the first place. I just got so angry at seeing SD being dissed that it clouded my judgment.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 11:00:14 PM by Jayne

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
03-01-2014, 01:54 AM
(03-01-2014 01:35 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Hmmmm, looks like Jayne is no different than the others. And, they talk about deceiving but she speaks with a forked tongue.

From this topic:

I can now see that there are good reasons that I should not post there. I should not have gone there in the first place. I just got so angry at seeing SD being dissed that it clouded my judgment.

I know I saw that. She's guilty of bearing false witness. But she'll confess her sin and be washed clean Drinking Beverage

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

03-01-2014, 02:26 AM
My message to SD contributors who might be glancing in this direction...

You are welcome here.

In a public (rather than private) forum, all subjects (by 'subjects' I mean 'topics', not 'supplicants') are up for debate, discussion and even ridicule, if warranted.

For those who have the courage of their convictions (I mean 'beliefs', not conviction for e.g. pedophilia) please join and challenge us as we will challenge you.

For those who are simply here to learn about different ways that fellow apes think about stuff, feel free to browse... we have nothing to hide and nothing and no one to hide from (except that Interpol thing but I'm not going there).

Dive in and enjoy the free thought. Don't be scared.

Cheers
DLJ (Abolitionist)

Smile

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
03-01-2014, 02:54 AM
(03-01-2014 01:35 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Hmmmm, looks like Jayne is no different than the others. And, they talk about deceiving but she speaks with a forked tongue.

From this topic:

IMO she says that stuff to keep in good with dickface, AKA cheese-fucker. He holds the power... I don't think she was insincere over here. I remember a while back when... someone... oh might have been TTT... was over there, and I read a thread there... or maybe it was Bucky. Anyway, she had a grouse at a mod there and got shat on and did the whole mea culpa mea culpa I realise I was wrong routine... Those dickheads have power and know it and use it. Fuck 'em.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
03-01-2014, 03:36 AM
(03-01-2014 02:26 AM)DLJ Wrote:  My message to SD contributors who might be glancing in this direction...

You are welcome here.

Ah, no. You're not. Angel

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
03-01-2014, 04:47 AM
(03-01-2014 03:36 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 02:26 AM)DLJ Wrote:  My message to SD contributors who might be glancing in this direction...

You are welcome here.

Ah, no. You're not. Angel

I'm telling on you for that!

Mod/Mom/Dom, HoC is scaring away the little furry animals again!

Sadcryface

[+] 7 users Like DLJ's post
03-01-2014, 05:01 AM
(02-01-2014 04:54 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  To learn what Catholics believed 60 years ago (and what "traditional" Catholics still believe today), go here:

http://www.fisheaters.com/
I really like that website's header. Thumbsup

[Image: nKijCe5.jpg]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
03-01-2014, 05:17 AM
(03-01-2014 02:26 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Dive in and enjoy the free thought. Don't be scared.

Don't try to pimp me out like that! I thought you cared...
Weeping

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 4 users Like Free Thought's post