My short time on Suscipe Domine

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2014, 10:03 AM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2014 10:19 AM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
RE: My short time on Suscipe Domine
(05-01-2014 05:59 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(04-01-2014 10:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You just get kinda get a smell for it after a while. Kaesekopf's got that scent from what Girly's sniffed.
Now that you mention it, "Käsekopf" is German for "cheese head". Laughat

JEEBUS, Vosur, half of us have been hammering hard on that the whole thread and Ze Rezident Cherman is just now catching on to the joke?

Big Grin

...I suspect he's a Green Bay Packers fan; they call themselves "Cheeseheads" (Wisconsin is big on cheese.....well, sort of cheese, more like American imitation-cheese that looks and tastes like plastic....

[Image: cheesehead.jpeg]

EDIT: I see that Grasshopper has confirmed my hypothesis.....

(05-01-2014 06:28 AM)War Horse Wrote:  They also use German officer classifications under their names.

Really a creepy site to go on. How people like this function in the real world is beyond me. Unsure

Yeah, that actually makes me really wonder if the whole thing is just an elaborate Poeism.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2014, 10:18 AM
(05-01-2014 09:46 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(05-01-2014 09:35 AM)Dom Wrote:  She seemed neither angry nor defending anything... she just chatted like everyone else.

A lot of people here were (and still are) characterizing that entire forum by people like Voxxpopulissuxx. She was bothered by that, and came here to show us that not everyone over there is like that. They actually have a variety of personalities over there. They are all (or mostly all) traditional Catholics, if you want to call that a fault, so their beliefs are necessarily restricted. But other than that, they have some reasonable people and some assholes and a bunch of people between those extremes -- just like we do.

Look, their beliefs are batshit crazy. They are NOT reasonable, and it is NOT reasonable to believe such things. There's not getting around that, or explaining that away.

Quote:I don't post over there because they don't allow free speech -- which is a major fault. But the amount of personal nastiness is about the same on both forums. They have said a lot of nasty things about TTA (although Jayne herself has not), but we have said a lot of nasty things about SD too.

Really, Grasshopper? Comparing our reasonable objections to their draconian bullshit and batshit beliefs? You are stomping all over Concern Troll territory here.

Quote:Can't blame the more reasonable people over there for being upset about it. It's probably best not to talk about other forums at all.

Yes, we can blame them. IF they were truly reasonable, they wouldn't be there in the first place.

[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
05-01-2014, 10:31 AM
(05-01-2014 09:03 AM)Jayne Wrote:  I really did not intend to post any more, but I keep seeing all these posts about the not nice things I said on SD about TTA and I want to know what you all are talking about. The only negative thing that I remember posting was my first post in this thread in which I said that, by SD standards (which one might reasonably infer are my own) people on TTA are rude and horrible.

Sorry, I missed this post.

So, were we rude and horrible to you?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
05-01-2014, 10:44 AM
@Taqiyya Mockingbird: Didn't want to quote your entire post, but just to make a couple of points: (1) When I said there are reasonable people over there, I was referring more to personality and behavior than beliefs. Jayne is an eminently reasonable person in that respect, and so are many others on the forum. She (along with some others) is also quite capable of giving a reasonable defense for her beliefs, as crazy as they may seem to us. (2) Characterizing someone's deeply-held beliefs as "batshit crazy" is not exactly what I would call a "reasonable objection". Just sayin'. A reasonable objection would be to explain what's wrong with their beliefs rather than making personal attacks. There have been a lot of personal attacks in both forums. I have not been immune to this myself, although I'm doing my best to stay above that level.
05-01-2014, 11:00 AM
(05-01-2014 09:13 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I can only find one post by Jayne on SD that postdates her time here, and that mentions us. Here is what it says:

Quote:I've said my good-byes at TTA.

I can now see that there are good reasons that I should not post there. I should not have gone there in the first place. I just got so angry at seeing SD being dissed that it clouded my judgment.

I don't really see anything terribly offensive there. Where are all the bad things that she is supposedly saying about us?

It is pretty ironic if this is the post that has some people carrying on as if I accused you behind your backs of eating babies. This comment was actually directed at TTA.

I had been lurking on this thread after I left (I don't have the strength of character to stay away when people are talking about me) and knew that some TTA people were following that SD thread. I also saw that some of you seemed concerned that I had been forced to leave TTA against my will. My "offensive" post was meant to reassure you that I was not being forced and that I agreed with the reasons the SD moderators had given about why I should leave.

And I really do plan to leave, but I want to get this cleared up before I go.
05-01-2014, 11:07 AM
(05-01-2014 10:31 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(05-01-2014 09:03 AM)Jayne Wrote:  I really did not intend to post any more, but I keep seeing all these posts about the not nice things I said on SD about TTA and I want to know what you all are talking about. The only negative thing that I remember posting was my first post in this thread in which I said that, by SD standards (which one might reasonably infer are my own) people on TTA are rude and horrible.

Sorry, I missed this post.

So, were we rude and horrible to you?

No, most people were not rude and horrible to me while I was here. The overall impression was pleasant. More unpleasant things were said about me after I left. Rude and horrible things have also been said about people I care about.

At no point have I said (or thought) that everyone on TTA is rude and horrible. I recognize you all as individuals. Some of you are people that I would enjoy getting to know better. But this place is not for me.
05-01-2014, 11:14 AM
(05-01-2014 10:44 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  @Taqiyya Mockingbird: Didn't want to quote your entire post, but just to make a couple of points: (1) When I said there are reasonable people over there, I was referring more to personality and behavior than beliefs. Jayne is an eminently reasonable person in that respect, and so are many others on the forum. She (along with some others) is also quite capable of giving a reasonable defense for her beliefs, as crazy as they may seem to us.

"Reasonable" and "defense of [a batshit-crazy proposition]" do not belong in the same sentence together.

Quote: (2) Characterizing someone's deeply-held beliefs as "batshit crazy" is not exactly what I would call a "reasonable objection". Just sayin'.

Oh, it's a reasonable objection, alright, you are simply equivocating what is "reasonable".

Quote: A reasonable objection would be to explain what's wrong with their beliefs rather than making personal attacks.

Actually, no, and calling their beliefs batshit crazy isn't a personal attack. I am quite willing to defend that characterization, though I don't think it's necessary to here anymore since the batshit craziness of their beliefs is already well-established. Again, you are equivocating and concern-trolling.

Quote: There have been a lot of personal attacks in both forums. I have not been immune to this myself, although I'm doing my best to stay above that level.

What they say over there about us really doesn't matter to me. But it's pretty funny that they are trying to control what we say over here. gives you a real sense of the sort of megalomania we are really dealing with.

05-01-2014, 11:27 AM
No "concern trolling" here, unless that means "defending a friend" -- because that's all I'm doing. I will say that, to my eyes/ears, the rude and horrible things we say about SD are no worse than the rude and horrible things they say about TTA, and vice versa. I don't see that either forum can claim the moral high ground when it comes to rudeness. The belief that my beliefs are more correct than someone else's does not justify rude and horrible behavior on my part. This principle has nothing to do with whose beliefs are, in fact, more correct.

I don't want to belabor this, so that's pretty much my last word. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Rudeness and snarkiness is generally not my style.
05-01-2014, 11:43 AM
(05-01-2014 11:27 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  No "concern trolling" here, unless that means "defending a friend" -- because that's all I'm doing.

I'm not attacking Jayne at all. But you are making excuses for the batshit craziness of that forum and trying to float a big "NO U!" past us. No, we aren't like them, and no, it's not working.

Quote: I will say that, to my eyes/ears, the rude and horrible things we say about SD are no worse than the rude and horrible things they say about TTA, and vice versa.

So? The difference is that their statements are coming from their willful ignorance and their desperate clinging to beliefs in batshit-crazy superstitious fairy tales.

Quote: I don't see that either forum can claim the moral high ground when it comes to rudeness.

This forum doesn't "claim moral high ground" on the basis of rudeness. We can claim moral high ground on the basis of a commitment to intellectual honesty. Which they can't.

Quote:The belief that my beliefs are more correct than someone else's does not justify rude and horrible behavior on my part. This principle has nothing to do with whose beliefs are, in fact, more correct.

Oh, look, the Strawman of atheist "beliefs". And really -- "rude and horrible"? Nothing I have seen anyone say about them has been "rude and horrible" really.

Quote:I don't want to belabor this, so that's pretty much my last word. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Rudeness and snarkiness is generally not my style.

And to call what is going on here being "rude and horrible" is really a strawman too.

05-01-2014, 12:19 PM
(05-01-2014 11:07 AM)Jayne Wrote:  No, most people were not rude and horrible to me while I was here. The overall impression was pleasant. More unpleasant things were said about me after I left. Rude and horrible things have also been said about people I care about.

At no point have I said (or thought) that everyone on TTA is rude and I recognize you all as individuals. Some of you are people that I would enjoy getting to know better. But this place is not for me.

Well, this place could be for you, mostly we treat people the same way they treat us.

And the same thing happened between the two forums - our admin was also treated badly, evicted even. And he's a Christian and not an atheist, and he was just curious about the catholic community and their beliefs. Hardly an offense.

The whole incident is kind of sad, don't you think?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post