My short time on Suscipe Domine

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-12-2013, 05:09 PM
RE: My short time on Suscipe Domine
(31-12-2013 04:38 PM)Jayne Wrote:  It is not fair to judge another forum by the standards of this one. By SD's standards, this is the rude and horrible forum. What makes your standards right?

Nobody claims the standards are right. This is a rude and horrible forum. That's why I like it here. It's where good and loving people can come and exercise their demon's and let loose without shame. We are loving and rude and good and horrible. We are human beings and we accept these things about ourselves and if you wanna judge, then judge. No one here is gonna stop you.

This place is about raking through the muck that is humanity and trying to see the truth about ourselves, whatever it may be, and not trying to bullshit ourselves or others.

Although the bullshit can pile up pretty quick around here. Angel

(did any of that make sense?) Confused

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like evenheathen's post
31-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Just to clarify, I am not here to talk about Catholicism or preach at people. While I would be overjoyed if any of you became Catholic and am willing to discuss it privately, I do not consider this forum a suitable place for doing so.

I am here because, if people are going to keep criticizing SD on this forum, then I want to defend it. So the case that I am making is that we are no more close-minded on SD than anyone else.

How many people here think that you are wrong about what you believe? I would guess that at least 90% of you believe what you believe. Almost as many believe that those who disagree with you are wrong. And I expect a very small minority are open to changing their minds about any of their strong beliefs.

The only thing that is different about SD is that we openly say that we are right and those who disagree with us are wrong. We openly say that we are not prepared to listen to people who challenge our beliefs. We are just more honest than most people about such things.
31-12-2013, 05:26 PM
Not willing to be challenged? Seems to indicate weak belief.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 8 users Like Anjele's post
31-12-2013, 05:26 PM
(31-12-2013 05:09 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  It's where good and loving people can come and exercise their demon's and let loose without shame.

Where I come from people are more into exorcising demons. But maybe you do exercise demons here. I'll watch out for that. Smile
[+] 8 users Like Jayne's post
31-12-2013, 05:28 PM
(31-12-2013 05:23 PM)Jayne Wrote:  How many people here think that you are wrong about what you believe? I would guess that at least 90% of you believe what you believe.

There is a huge difference in understanding reality and placing one's faith in a fairy tale religion.
31-12-2013, 05:29 PM
Uh oh, KC. You've brought some of them back with you... Blink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like houseofcantor's post
31-12-2013, 05:30 PM
(31-12-2013 05:23 PM)Jayne Wrote:  How many people here think that you are wrong about what you believe? I would guess that at least 90% of you believe what you believe. Almost as many believe that those who disagree with you are wrong. And I expect a very small minority are open to changing their minds about any of their strong beliefs.

The only thing that is different about SD is that we openly say that we are right and those who disagree with us are wrong. We openly say that we are not prepared to listen to people who challenge our beliefs. We are just more honest than most people about such things.

We are. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 12 users Like kim's post
31-12-2013, 05:33 PM
[Image: 1522134_600790646643450_1076557284_n.jpg]

I got this one from Lumi. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 9 users Like kim's post
31-12-2013, 05:40 PM
(31-12-2013 05:28 PM)Foxen Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 05:23 PM)Jayne Wrote:  How many people here think that you are wrong about what you believe? I would guess that at least 90% of you believe what you believe.

There is a huge difference in understanding reality and placing one's faith in a fairy tale religion.

Thank you for the support. This is a perfect example of a person who is not the least bit open to having his (or her) ideas challenged. What he (or she) believes is "reality" and those who disagree believe a fairy-tale. A person who talks like this does not listen so it makes no difference that people are allowed to disagree without being banned.
31-12-2013, 05:44 PM
(31-12-2013 05:40 PM)Jayne Wrote:  Thank you for the support. This is a perfect example of a person who is not the least bit open to having his (or her) ideas challenged. What he (or she) believes is "reality" and those who disagree believe a fairy-tale. A person who talks like this does not listen so it makes no difference that people are allowed to disagree without being banned.

I do not see theists flocking to renounce their religions due to the underwhelming evidence to support a deity's existence, which makes them quite close-minded as far as I am concerned. Rather than face the truth of reality, that a deity does not exist, they would rather continue to believe for comfort's sake. That which challenges the theistic belief makes the theist uncomfortable, and they cannot have that. Therefore, they create communities where they repeat the lie to each other and comfort each other in their delusions.
[+] 1 user Likes Foxen's post