My short time on Suscipe Domine

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-12-2013, 05:46 PM
RE: My short time on Suscipe Domine
(31-12-2013 05:30 PM)kim Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 05:23 PM)Jayne Wrote:  The only thing that is different about SD is that we openly say that we are right and those who disagree with us are wrong. We openly say that we are not prepared to listen to people who challenge our beliefs. We are just more honest than most people about such things.

We are. Drinking Beverage

So how often do people around here change their mind on deeply held positions?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-12-2013, 05:48 PM
(31-12-2013 05:40 PM)Jayne Wrote:  A person who talks like this does not listen so it makes no difference that people are allowed to disagree without being banned.

Are we allowed to challenge that belief? Angel

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
31-12-2013, 05:49 PM
(31-12-2013 05:44 PM)Foxen Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 05:40 PM)Jayne Wrote:  Thank you for the support. This is a perfect example of a person who is not the least bit open to having his (or her) ideas challenged. What he (or she) believes is "reality" and those who disagree believe a fairy-tale. A person who talks like this does not listen so it makes no difference that people are allowed to disagree without being banned.

I do not see theists flocking to renounce their religions due to the underwhelming evidence to support a deity's existence, which makes them quite close-minded as far as I am concerned. Rather than face the truth of reality, that a deity does not exist, they would rather continue to believe for comfort's sake. That which challenges the theistic belief makes the theist uncomfortable, and they cannot have that. Therefore, they create communities where they repeat the lie to each other and comfort each other in their delusions.

And atheists never create communities where they affirm their beliefs to one another. That is why TTA does not exist. /sarcasm off
31-12-2013, 05:50 PM
(31-12-2013 05:48 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 05:40 PM)Jayne Wrote:  A person who talks like this does not listen so it makes no difference that people are allowed to disagree without being banned.

Are we allowed to challenge that belief? Angel

I am on your home ground now. You can challenge any of my beliefs that you would like.
[+] 2 users Like Jayne's post
31-12-2013, 05:51 PM
(31-12-2013 05:49 PM)Jayne Wrote:  And atheists never create communities where they affirm their beliefs to one another. That is why TTA does not exist. /sarcasm off

An atheist relies upon reality, whereas the theist prefers the deluded comfort of fantasy.
[+] 1 user Likes Foxen's post
31-12-2013, 05:51 PM
(31-12-2013 04:38 PM)Jayne Wrote:  It is not fair to judge another forum by the standards of this one. By SD's standards, this is the rude and horrible forum. What makes your standards right?

No one said they are right or wrong. We just don't happen to like the way you do things. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
31-12-2013, 05:53 PM
(31-12-2013 05:40 PM)Jayne Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 05:28 PM)Foxen Wrote:  There is a huge difference in understanding reality and placing one's faith in a fairy tale religion.

Thank you for the support. This is a perfect example of a person who is not the least bit open to having his (or her) ideas challenged. What he (or she) believes is "reality" and those who disagree believe a fairy-tale. A person who talks like this does not listen so it makes no difference that people are allowed to disagree without being banned.

You know you do have a point, I would say most of the active posters here are relatively secure in their positions but we get a ton of people here who do not post. The silent majority of this forum are people who are not sure of their position and it is for them that people debate. If you can make a good case for your position then you may just convert a few of those people.

As for the likes of me, yeah you'll never reach me. I know too much history, both biblical and of your church to ever believe it is of a divine mandate. I have met tons of catholics, I live in MD a very catholic state, and for the most part they are good people. But those are not your kind of catholic, they are the kind of catholic that SD despises. The christmas and easter catholic that only vaguely follows the church and thinks the new pope is just great.

Surprisingly we agree on the new Pope. I dislike him almost as much as you do and for some of the same reasons. He is disingenuous and seems to be playing very loose with the stated dogma for photo ops and headlines. Granted we do disagree what would be an improvement but that's life isn't it.

I for one would like you to stick around and defend your forum and your positions because for the most part the Catholic church does not get much defense here. But ultimately you are free to do as you see fit.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
31-12-2013, 05:55 PM
(31-12-2013 05:23 PM)Jayne Wrote:  Just to clarify, I am not here to talk about Catholicism or preach at people. While I would be overjoyed if any of you became Catholic and am willing to discuss it privately, I do not consider this forum a suitable place for doing so.

I am here because, if people are going to keep criticizing SD on this forum, then I want to defend it. So the case that I am making is that we are no more close-minded on SD than anyone else.

How many people here think that you are wrong about what you believe? I would guess that at least 90% of you believe what you believe. Almost as many believe that those who disagree with you are wrong. And I expect a very small minority are open to changing their minds about any of their strong beliefs.

The only thing that is different about SD is that we openly say that we are right and those who disagree with us are wrong. We openly say that we are not prepared to listen to people who challenge our beliefs. We are just more honest than most people about such things.

even though i think i am right,i like to be chellenged in my beliefs. The biggest difference between SD and here is that if some1 comes with another beliefsystem and chalenges us,we don't ban him/her. Like revenant says,a good idea will stand the test of scrutiny,and a bad idea will fail scrutiny(altho he says it much better)

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
[+] 1 user Likes Lightvader's post
(31-12-2013 05:46 PM)Jayne Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 05:30 PM)kim Wrote:  We are. Drinking Beverage

So how often do people around here change their mind on deeply held positions?

I've seen many people change their minds in the face of good evidence or argument. I've done it myself.

The beauty of holding yourself to intellectual honesty is being able to admit when you are wrong about a belief and change it to better reflect the best explanation, not indoctrination or delusion. You freely admit that you and others at SD refuse to even entertain a position that contradicts your dogmas. That is simply sad.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
(31-12-2013 05:40 PM)Jayne Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 05:28 PM)Foxen Wrote:  There is a huge difference in understanding reality and placing one's faith in a fairy tale religion.

Thank you for the support. This is a perfect example of a person who is not the least bit open to having his (or her) ideas challenged. What he (or she) believes is "reality" and those who disagree believe a fairy-tale. A person who talks like this does not listen so it makes no difference that people are allowed to disagree without being banned.

No, Jayne, many of us have listened, considered, pondered, thought, felt, and decided.

Just because I have determined that Catholicism is not the truth does not mean I did not consider it with an open mind.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post