My short time on Suscipe Domine

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-12-2013, 05:56 PM
RE: My short time on Suscipe Domine
Sorry, I've got a party to go to. I'll check back in tomorrow.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-12-2013, 05:57 PM
(31-12-2013 05:56 PM)Jayne Wrote:  Sorry, I've got a party to go to. I'll check back in tomorrow.

Have a happy New Year.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
31-12-2013, 05:57 PM
(31-12-2013 05:46 PM)Jayne Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 05:30 PM)kim Wrote:  We are. Drinking Beverage

So how often do people around here change their mind on deeply held positions?

You mean... actually turn back into theists ? Ohmy

It's unlikely. Most of us *are* former Christians, with scatterings from other faiths. We left for various reasons. In my particular case, 'cos it just didn't make sense. The more I read about religion the more it seems false to me, and meeting representatives of religion has only reinforced that, with regard to the logic side of things at any rate. In all other respects, most religionists that I meet are normal people who're exactly as likable or not as the next bloke.

Still, one of the things that I find interesting is learning *why* other people believe the things they do. And because I'm a bastard I like to ask them questions to shake 'em up - the way I learn is after all, by questioning my own assumptions and beliefs, so I don't see this as being nasty, I see this as 'but have you thought of this?'...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
31-12-2013, 06:05 PM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2014 07:05 AM by houseofcantor.)
(31-12-2013 05:50 PM)Jayne Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 05:48 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Are we allowed to challenge that belief? Angel

I am on your home ground now. You can challenge any of my beliefs that you would like.

Quote:My impression of Jayne over many years of seeing her posts is that she will change her mind to curry favour and then nuance her views to cause controversy again. She enjoys manipulating people. It's her thing and she likes the attention. She is a huge grandstander.

Wow. Is that you? Angel

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-12-2013, 06:41 PM
(31-12-2013 05:56 PM)Jayne Wrote:  Sorry, I've got a party to go to. I'll check back in tomorrow.

Let us know how it was. Do SD Catholics drink as much as regular ones? Consider

Happy new year!

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
31-12-2013, 07:36 PM
I put my bets on that SD bans hoc in this week.

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
31-12-2013, 08:18 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHHAAH "The Thinking [sic] Atheist" forum!

----says the clown who "thinks" and believes whatever his priest tells him to believe!

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
31-12-2013, 08:54 PM
The thing that bugs me about SD (and to a lesser extent, Fisheaters, which is where many of the SD people came from) is that they not only believe what they believe, they are absolutely certain that they are right and everyone else is wrong. They will not even admit the remote possibility that they could be wrong. Which makes it pointless to argue with them. I believe that atheism is "right", but I'm not absolutely certain of it. I could be wrong, and if presented with compelling evidence for the existence of God, I would change my belief (although it's still an enormous leap from there to the Christian God). But I'm not going to waste my time arguing with people who "know" that they're right -- at least not on the murky subject of religion. If a professional mathematician claims to know that a theorem is true and offers to demonstrate it to me, that would be a different sort of thing. I don't believe that sort of certainty is possible in religion, and am therefore annoyed by people who try to claim it.
[+] 4 users Like Grasshopper's post
31-12-2013, 09:07 PM
Jeez, KC, they up and locked the topic before you could jump back in and say "Guys, guys, don't fight, you're making Baby Jesus cry!"

Tongue

But I think it's funny as hell that they started out trying to troll you, and wound up eating each other....if that thread had been started by a troll (which clearly you weren't doing), I would just have to laugh and declare, "Successful Troll is Successful!". If you know what I mean.

A couple of other things I just have to laugh at is the whole "error has no rights" nonsense, and oh, what was the other gem -- Oh i did like Jayne's "Leave defending the Church to people who are competent.", but that wasn't it...Oh but that idiot with his "Come at me Bro" with his avatar in a dress was just precious. What a tard. The other thing will come to me, but what a trick to ask you your beliefs when you said you came to learn and then start bashing them, all the while holding the banhammer over your head. Disingenuous to the core, that bunch. And no wonder they stay in their little malevolent echo chamber -- they couldn't survive a minute in the real world, in the light of day.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
31-12-2013, 09:34 PM
(31-12-2013 05:46 PM)Jayne Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 05:30 PM)kim Wrote:  We are. Drinking Beverage

So how often do people around here change their mind on deeply held positions?

Girly personally? Daily. Ain't that like what I'm supposed to be doing?

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post