My short time on Suscipe Domine

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-12-2013, 11:39 PM
RE: My short time on Suscipe Domine
(31-12-2013 05:46 PM)Jayne Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 05:30 PM)kim Wrote:  We are. Drinking Beverage

So how often do people around here change their mind on deeply held positions?

The better way to phrase the question is to ask is whether folks here are willing to accept new data and theories that might contribute to their understanding of the world. I think you will find an almost unanimous openness that you will not find at SD.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-12-2013, 11:46 PM
(31-12-2013 05:49 PM)Jayne Wrote:  And atheists never create communities where they affirm their beliefs to one another. That is why TTA does not exist. /sarcasm off

You harbor a deep misunderstanding of this community. This place isn't about "affirming beliefs" at all. Atheism is itself fundamentally a considered rejection of unsubstantiated beliefs. We hold no common beliefs to "affirm to one another". I think I may be safe to say that the only things that we have in common is a disbelief in certain popular superstitious claims and a certain need to circle wagons against forces that would impose those superstitions on us and our children by force.

[+] 4 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
31-12-2013, 11:54 PM
(31-12-2013 05:50 PM)Jayne Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 05:48 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Are we allowed to challenge that belief? Angel

I am on your home ground now. You can challenge any of my beliefs that you would like.

Your courage is admirable. Too bad that your participation here ever had to come down to a matter of courage. Hopefully you feel more welcome now that you are here. Are you ultimately here to profess your beliefs, and see them overcome any challenge, then? That's all good, it's just a different tack from your original goal of defending the SD forum, I would think.

01-01-2014, 12:07 AM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2014 12:10 AM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
(31-12-2013 05:55 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 05:46 PM)Jayne Wrote:  So how often do people around here change their mind on deeply held positions?

I've seen many people change their minds in the face of good evidence or argument. I've done it myself.

The beauty of holding yourself to intellectual honesty is being able to admit when you are wrong about a belief and change it to better reflect the best explanation, not indoctrination or delusion. You freely admit that you and others at SD refuse to even entertain a position that contradicts your dogmas. That is simply sad.

Jayne, I wanted to highlight this for you to demonstrate what I was saying earlier about the (largely unspoken, but well-understood) sense of, or emphasis upon, the importance of rigorous intellectual honesty that I find here in this forum. I am reading and responding to this thread post-by-post, and I of course only just got to EH's post here, and here he is, emphasizing intellectual honesty, striking that same chord.

The SD forum cannot make such a claim. They can only claim to be openly honest about their intellectual DIShonesty, as you have earlier described. Can you see this?

Of course, again, this is not an attack against you personally. After all, you showed great restraint and intellectual honesty in your defense of KC in his thread, which, again, I saw as quite honorable. Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
01-01-2014, 12:10 AM
(31-12-2013 05:56 PM)Jayne Wrote:  Sorry, I've got a party to go to. I'll check back in tomorrow.

Hope you have a great time. Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
01-01-2014, 01:08 AM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2014 01:17 AM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
(31-12-2013 10:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 10:54 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  I think that you might do well to consider that to "openly say that we are right and those who disagree with us are wrong" is the very antithesis of closed-mindedness.

Um, no.

It is the antithesis of open mindedness. Or it is the apotheosis of closed mindedness.

Yes, I got that all bolloxed-up, didn't I. Blush Thanks, corrected it....

01-01-2014, 01:37 AM
(31-12-2013 04:38 PM)Jayne Wrote:  It is not fair to judge another forum by the standards of this one. By SD's standards, this is the rude and horrible forum. What makes your standards right?

Because we are rude and horrible. ... Silly....

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
01-01-2014, 01:41 AM
(01-01-2014 01:37 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Because we are rude and horrible. ... Silly....

Indeed.

Theistic forums are rude and horrible in their own way. Unlike theists, atheists do not hide their rudeness or horribleness behind a veil of pretend nice emotions.
[+] 1 user Likes Foxen's post
01-01-2014, 01:46 AM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2014 01:57 AM by GirlyMan.)
(31-12-2013 04:38 PM)Jayne Wrote:  It is not fair to judge another forum by the standards of this one. By SD's standards, this is the rude and horrible forum. What makes your standards right?

Well, we are rude and horrible. So there is that going for us.

Girly ain't sure what's going on here. Huh Are we beating the shit out of a Catholic just for being a Catholic? Jayne you a Catholic? ... So confused ... Huh

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
01-01-2014, 01:49 AM
SD has no standards. Voxpopulisuxx gets away with breaking every rule they have. It's totally random enforcement of their (supposed) rules. As long as you support the right side, you get to say anything over there.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 6 users Like Bucky Ball's post