My sister homeschools her kids

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2014, 12:51 AM
My sister homeschools her kids
I grew up in a fundamentalist evangelical Christian home, and I gradually became an atheist over a period of several years. None of my family knows; but they do know I've been having doubts about the faith.

The issue is that my sister is homeschooling her 4 kids and 3 stepkids. I don't know what she is going to teach them, but I suspect she's indoctrinating them on creationism. I want to send them a science textbook that is about at the teenage level, and teaches real science (i.e. evolution and old earth). I want my nieces and nephews to be rational and accept what has been proven to be true. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

I find it ironic that the religion that says man is the center of the universe is the same one that says arrogance is a sin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-10-2014, 02:30 AM
RE: My sister homeschools her kids
I suggest that you have to make a choice regarding what is best for the children's future.

1. Having contact with you.
2. Learning what is true.

You are unlikely to be able to influence 2. if you haven't achieved 1.

So, tread lightly my friend.

But if it helps, note that planting seeds of doubt is not the same as explaining what is true.

Wink

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
31-10-2014, 07:47 AM
(31-10-2014 12:51 AM)cre8ivmind Wrote:  I grew up in a fundamentalist evangelical Christian home, and I gradually became an atheist over a period of several years. None of my family knows; but they do know I've been having doubts about the faith.

The issue is that my sister is homeschooling her 4 kids and 3 stepkids. I don't know what she is going to teach them, but I suspect she's indoctrinating them on creationism. I want to send them a science textbook that is about at the teenage level, and teaches real science (i.e. evolution and old earth). I want my nieces and nephews to be rational and accept what has been proven to be true. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

For teens and adults:
A Short History of Nearly Everything: Special Illustrated Edition, Bill Byson
-or-
A Short History of Nearly Everything, Bill Byson

For tweens:
A Really Short History of Nearly Everything, Bill Byson
The Magic of Reality: How We Know What's Really True, Richard Dawkins (this one might set off the alarms Dodgy )

In either case, get the hardcover.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-10-2014, 07:54 AM
you could get the the poster from http://www.yourlogicalfallacyis.com for their classroom. Its only $20.

a magazine subscription might be a better way, color photos, interesting articles, hits them every month. Scientific American, Kids Discover (might be too young), there are loads to choose from. Tell them its to help with STEM classes. She will have to really squirm to find a reason to reject it.

I do agree with DLJ, when moms feel their kid is threatened, they cut off contact.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
31-10-2014, 04:23 PM
IMHO the only thing you can do without alienating your family, is to get the kids to learn critical thinking.
Critical thinking leads to skepticism which leads, one hopes, to questions about everything. Critical thinking should be taught to all kids.

Subtlety is the best approach. Attacking theism head on in this case will get you nowhere and possibly cut off from her family.

Hopefully you will have enough serenity to accept the things you cannot change; the courage to change the things you can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.

Smile

Happy Halloween!
31-10-2014, 05:32 PM
I second what RogueWarrior said. Children naturally ask why is the sky blue type of questions. Encourage them to question everything but at the same time try to tread lightly around the parents. Keep it subtle. Make questioning the world around them a joyful experience. It won't be easy but maybe you will start the ball rolling towards critical thinking.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
31-10-2014, 08:10 PM
Quote:is to get the kids to learn critical thinking.

That commodity is in dangerously short supply in evangelical homes.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
03-11-2014, 10:08 PM
How and what your sister teaches these kids is none of your business. Undermine her and you will lose a sister plus the nieces and nephews.
04-11-2014, 12:39 AM
(03-11-2014 10:08 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  How and what your sister teaches these kids is none of your business. Undermine her and you will lose a sister plus the nieces and nephews.

I have to disagree with this, at least to a point.
Teaching children to be stupid and gullible is a form of abuse in my opinion.
Try to help as much as you can without stepping on too many toes.
The magazine subscription is a great idea.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
05-11-2014, 12:20 PM
I love the idea of a subscription as well. I'd suggest Odyssey.

I am still learning. --Michelangelo, age 87