My sister-in-law says I can't say, "Christmas".

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2014, 01:50 PM
RE: My sister-in-law says I can't say, "Christmas".
(05-11-2014 01:17 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  I think you're on the right track pointing out that everything awesome about Christmas is secular. Exchanging gifts, going to parties, taking time off work, getting together with family...

If Christmas actually was all about the birth of Christ, the holiday would be just as lame as Ash Wednesday.

Before the mid-19th century, it was just as lame as Ash Wednesday.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2014, 01:52 PM
I love Christmas.

I love the music, even songs like Away in the Manger and Oh Holy Night....

Ok, I do change the words a bit to little drummer boy. Shy

I love the decorations. I love the tree (except for the watering and the needles dropping) I love cheesy holiday movies.

I love taking a month out of the year to really contemplate others. To think about them..buy them gifts, cook an amazing meal and share it.

I love the candles...

I almost feel guilty that I don't do this year around.

But to be told that because I don't buy the myth I can't participate? That's really tragic.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 10 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
05-11-2014, 02:53 PM
Facepalm

Tell her to call the Christmas police. Tell her you have prior authorization from the elves to be jolly and spread holiday cheer, but if she keeps this nonsense up you will have no choice but to put her on the naughty list.

maybe the joke will make her realize how silly she is being.

You did get her a giant lump of coal, right?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
05-11-2014, 02:54 PM
Just call it festivus

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
05-11-2014, 03:05 PM
Re: My sister-in-law says I can't say, "Christmas".
There's a Chinese Buddhist family here that celebrates it. (Actually from China.) My Hindu buddies did. Christmas isn't just a Christian holiday now. I don't even like it but get involved for immediate family.

I've never gotten it, though. I'd be pissed if everyone got gifts for my birthday and all you did was visit my house and sing for a few hours. Fuck y'all. Sad
05-11-2014, 03:28 PM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2014 03:33 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(05-11-2014 01:52 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I love Christmas.

I love the decorations. I love the tree (except for the watering and the needles dropping) I love cheesy holiday movies.

I love taking a month out of the year to really contemplate others. To think about them..buy them gifts, cook an amazing meal and share it.

I love the candles...

But to be told that because I don't buy the myth I can't participate? That's really tragic.

I wanna know what those words are. Tongue

A couple years ago I wrote a (long) version of the Little Drummer Boy (when I was thinking about staying in music) for the Episcopal Cathedral Choir here, with an actual part for a "little drummer boy", (guest) Gospel Choir, orchestra, organ, 2 pianos, percussion, (tympani, xylophone, bongos, regular drums), and 8 part choir (Cathedral) + 3 solo (soprano, mezzo, baritone) parts. It's now one of THE most popular things they do every year at "Carols and Lessons", the weeks before Christmas. It's copyrighted, and we're about to start selling it.

The only reason Christmas is on December 25th, is because they wanted to replace a pagan holiday already on that date. Turn-about is fair play.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
05-11-2014, 03:34 PM
Send her a solstice card and see how she reacts. You can even get a Saturnalia card now:

https://ffrf.org/shop/solstice-cards/kee...saturnalia

Hate the belief, love the believer.
[+] 1 user Likes Elder Cunningham's post
05-11-2014, 04:01 PM
Get her a lump of coal. Gift wrap it with a note stating this is what one gets for spreading hatred and selfishness in the name of sweet little baby Jesus. Sign it: Santa. Then, put it and her real presents under the tree with notes expressing peace & love for ALL humanity.

If she asks you about it, tell her you accept her even with her tragic flaws. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 8 users Like kim's post
05-11-2014, 04:12 PM
(05-11-2014 03:28 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(05-11-2014 01:52 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I love Christmas.

I love the candles...

I wanna know what those words are. Tongue

A couple years ago I wrote a (long) version of the Little Drummer Boy (when I was thinking about staying in music) for the Episcopal Cathedral Choir here, with an actual part for a "little drummer boy", (guest) Gospel Choir, orchestra, organ, 2 pianos, percussion, (tympani, xylophone, bongos, regular drums), and 8 part choir (Cathedral) + 3 solo (soprano, mezzo, baritone) parts. It's now one of THE most popular things they do every year at "Carols and Lessons", the weeks before Christmas. It's copyrighted, and we're about to start selling it.

The only reason Christmas is on December 25th, is because they wanted to replace a pagan holiday already on that date. Turn-about is fair play.

That sounds amazing. I would absolutely love to hear it someday.

Heart

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
05-11-2014, 04:19 PM

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post