My sister-in-law says I can't say, "Christmas".

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2014, 04:25 PM
RE: My sister-in-law says I can't say, "Christmas".
(05-11-2014 04:19 PM)DLJ Wrote:  

one of my favorite christmas songs. Heart

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2014, 04:29 PM
(05-11-2014 03:34 PM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  Send her a solstice card and see how she reacts. You can even get a Saturnalia card now:

https://ffrf.org/shop/solstice-cards/kee...saturnalia

I LOVE the winter solstice wrapping paper!!!! I might do that if I ever come out of the closet. Laugh out load

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
05-11-2014, 04:34 PM
I have no issue with Christmas. One of my favorite traditions is going to a beer hall in NYC that has advent singing on Sundays between Thanksgiving and Christmas. A bunch of get together, sing Christmas songs, drink beer and eat good food. Only one out of the group of us is religious at all.

Your sister is being silly. Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 2 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
05-11-2014, 04:56 PM
(05-11-2014 11:32 AM)ComradeBunny Wrote:  I love Christmas in a truly secular way. My love language is gift giving and so I adore Christmas (although it is behind Halloween as my favorite holiday). I recently had a conversation with my sister-in-law that through me for a loop.

She got mad at me for talking about starting to gather gifts for Christmas (yes, I shop very early). She said as an atheist I'm not allowed to say the word Christmas and I should say solstice instead. She also asked why I would even celebrate it. I told her that Christmas has become secularized and that is the way I celebrate it. She then went into a long discussion about how this time should be used to contemplate the sacrifice of Jesus (which I always thought was what Easter was for) and give up things.

Needless to say, I was hurt, but respected her feelings. It's been hard, though, as I am living with her, my brother and nephew. I'm acting as a nanny. I'm still gathering gifts, but am very sad I can't share my joy with her.

I know this may seem silly in this section where others have much more serious issues, but I needed to express how I was feeling. I'm not sure how to deal with this now sensitive topic seeing as I will be spending Christmas with them. Any thoughts on atheism and Christmas?

That right there is some shitty behaviour on her part, I'd say.

But I love that she pretty much openly acknowledged that Christmas was a rip-off of Solstice celebrations. Laughat

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
05-11-2014, 05:39 PM
She said you aren't 'allowed' to say Christmas...where is that written?

Good grief - some people are determined to suck the joy out of people.

Every time you see her start singing some songs - 'It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like CHRISTMAS, 'White CHRISTMAS', 'Rockin' Around the CHRISTMAS' Tree', 'Oh CHRISTMAS Tree', any and every song that contains the word 'Christmas'. And when you get to the word - sing it louder and with gusto. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 6 users Like Anjele's post
05-11-2014, 06:19 PM
(05-11-2014 05:39 PM)Anjele Wrote:  She said you aren't 'allowed' to say Christmas...where is that written?

Good grief - some people are determined to suck the joy out of people.

Every time you see her start singing some songs - 'It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like CHRISTMAS, 'White CHRISTMAS', 'Rockin' Around the CHRISTMAS' Tree', 'Oh CHRISTMAS Tree', any and every song that contains the word 'Christmas'. And when you get to the word - sing it louder and with gusto. Tongue

The holiday guidelines for Atheists is where...

I can say I'm glad to have heard this wild claim by a christian made despite the ridiculous nature of it being imposed on you, it makes for a good counter to religious people complaining about the war on Christmas and people not using the term christmas.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 3 users Like ClydeLee's post
05-11-2014, 07:29 PM
Quote:My sister-in-law says I can't say, "Christmas".

I'd look her right in the eye and say "Fuck Christmas" about 30 times.

But that's probably just me.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
05-11-2014, 07:48 PM
There can be only one proper response.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
05-11-2014, 08:31 PM
(05-11-2014 12:11 PM)ComradeBunny Wrote:  Very true. I think because it is a religious thing, though, she feels it is somehow owned by Christians. This is weird because she knows the Christians just overtook another groups holiday. You're also right that she is being a humbug to me. It did dampen my spirits a little. However, I do have three Christmas presents wrapped and sitting out in my makeshift office (the formal dining room) so she can see them. Evil_monster

Please say you use religious themed paper to wrap them?!
06-11-2014, 06:17 PM
Sadly, no. I'm partial to snowmen and penguins.

I am still learning. --Michelangelo, age 87