My sister-in-law says I can't say, "Christmas".

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2014, 06:20 PM
RE: My sister-in-law says I can't say, "Christmas".
Thank you for all of your replies. I thought she was being off and you have all confirmed it. I'm pretty non-confrontational, so I doubt I will use some of your very fine retorts, but they made my day and I greatly appreciate that.

I am still learning. --Michelangelo, age 87
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2014, 07:06 PM
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...BOOK-style

Talk to her about the origins of Christmas.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
10-11-2014, 05:43 PM
I'm a Norse atheist, and I still call Christmas Christmas and hand out gifts on the 25th.

Drive your SIL nuts by celebrating all the holidays -- Wish her a happy Yule, Saturnalia, Festivus, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Hogmanay, Decemberween, literally anything that shows up on a calendar between now and Robbie Burns Day (January 25). Throw in Ukrainian Boxing Day (January 8) just in case. :-D
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Astreja's post
11-11-2014, 10:22 PM
Tell her that Christmas is a pagan holiday and that god probably hates her for celebrating it.

It originally evolved from Saturnalia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturnalia
http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/0/20617780

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
11-11-2014, 10:31 PM
Well, you could try calling her bluff. Next time you see her over the holidays, reply with 'Merry Saturnalia' to her and her only. Everyone else gets a 'Merry Christmas', and if someone asks, explains that your sister-in-law doesn't want you saying it because you're a secularists (also, our Lord Saturn is clearly the reason-for-the-season). So you decided to compromise by just not wishing her a 'Merry Christmas' so as not to upset her. Now it will be really awkward, and they'll know it's her fault for being such a stick in the mud. This of course assumes the rest of your extended family is far more level-headed than she is.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
12-11-2014, 09:15 AM
Tell her to get out from under the rock she has been living under and open her eyes to the fact that plenty of atheists celebrate Christmas. Tell her also that, by her logic, since she isn't Jewish or African American, she's not allowed to say "Hanukkah" or "Kwanzaa". Tell her that, by Christianity, Christmas is for celebrating Jesus' birth, not for contemplating his sacrifice. Finally, tell her that since the only part of Christmas that she finds acceptable is the religious part, she is not allowed to hang a wreath, put up a Christmas tree, sing Christmas carols, use mistletoe, burn a yule log, or celebrate on the incorrect birth date of December 25th - all borrowed from Pagan traditions.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
12-11-2014, 05:33 PM
(05-11-2014 11:32 AM)ComradeBunny Wrote:  She said as an atheist I'm not allowed to say the word Christmas and I should say solstice instead.

Well, if you're not a Pagan/Wiccan, how can you celebrate the Solstice...Solstice is a pagan holiday...... of course, every holiday the Christians celebrate was stolen from the pagans.....lol.... I say that I celebrate Krismas (as in Kris Kringle) I love the holidays, the excitement, the joy in the air, and watching my son, grandkids, and great grandkids opening their presents Big Grin (and we are all Atheists )

Please remember the Native American Indians Heart