My sister is scared for my "soul"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2015, 09:50 AM
RE: My sister is scared for my "soul"
(02-01-2015 01:04 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Unsure Am I the only one thinking that you just outed yourself, you just didnt say the "a" word.

To be honest I had the same thought.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-01-2015, 09:59 AM
(13-01-2015 08:21 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  "Smart" has nothing to do with it. I know people that I consider smart that actually believe in the tales of magic when they would scoff and laugh if a muslim or hindu mentioned some miraculous event. They are clueless to the irony that they call others' magical tales silly but THEIR magical tales are real.

Indeed.

Religious beliefs are not founded on rational premises - the stupid and intelligent alike buy in. And the more intelligent one is, the better one is at reasoning from that irrational foundation and justifying the whole edifice.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
13-01-2015, 10:11 AM (This post was last modified: 13-01-2015 10:14 AM by Mr. Boston.)
Good for you Raven! I think there is a distinction between what you did, which is acknowledging you don't intend to be baptized, and coming out fully as atheist. I think it's up to you whether to take that last step, and you obviously know your family better than we do. What you've done here is stand up for your beliefs (or lack thereof) and assert that you have problems with the dogma, sufficient that you're not comfortable with taking a vow and becoming a member of a church. And that's certainly a meaningful declaration. People have been burned at the stake for less than that!

But you are sort of leaving the door open for your family to still hold out hope that you're a "believer" in some sense, and just not comfortable with organized religion; that you're taking a more personal "spiritual" journey. I guess it's up to you to decide whether it's better to leave these last few strands of "hope" for your mom and other relatives to grasp onto, or to sever them completely and "come out" as full fledged atheist. It's your life, it ought to be about what YOU need. If you need them to know the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, wait until they're loaded at New Year's next year and spill the beans.

My personal experience with this was that my family knew for a long time that I was "not a churchgoer" and they were essentially comfortable with that for awhile. It wasn't until I got married to an (ethnically) Jewish girl and had a child that the questions about if our family would be "inter-faith" or not started coming up. I pretty much had to declare that I was not a believer in any deity or faith but felt that our kids should be exposed to a variety of myths and traditions, for the cultural value, and that if they eventually latched on to some kind of spiritual belief system, I wouldn't oppose it, but I WOULD insist they undertake a THOROUGH investigation of all the claims and deeds of any deities or faiths before making any pledges.
13-01-2015, 12:24 PM
(13-01-2015 09:59 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(13-01-2015 08:21 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  "Smart" has nothing to do with it. I know people that I consider smart that actually believe in the tales of magic when they would scoff and laugh if a muslim or hindu mentioned some miraculous event. They are clueless to the irony that they call others' magical tales silly but THEIR magical tales are real.

Indeed.

Religious beliefs are not founded on rational premises - the stupid and intelligent alike buy in. And the more intelligent one is, the better one is at reasoning from that irrational foundation and justifying the whole edifice.

Spot-on. That is why there are these apologists floating around here like turds on a toilet bowl.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
13-01-2015, 09:59 PM

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
03-06-2015, 03:08 PM
I have decided to not think of myself in terms of being atheist or agnostic which puts us in a category. Instead I'm just me.
03-06-2015, 03:20 PM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2015 07:28 PM by GirlyMan.)
(03-06-2015 03:08 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  I have decided to not think of myself in terms of being atheist or agnostic which puts us in a category. Instead I'm just me.

"Me" is the most insidious label of all.

#sigh
03-06-2015, 09:04 PM
Maybe writing a letter is the best course of action. It'll give them time to process what you wrote and you can have a discussion after they read it and they calmed down.