My sister just defended Scientology

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2014, 02:30 PM
My sister just defended Scientology
I hate trying to have a reasonable conversation with religious people, somehow their belief in their fairy-tale somehow manages to poison everything.

I was talking to my sister about some of the insane shit Scientology has done and she straight up told me she doesn't believe any of it because she saw two scientologists on TV who said all the negative things said about Scientology were untrue, thereby proving it is all made up. She then told me that she can't take anything I say about religion seriously (not that I in any way accept Scientology is a religion) because of all the untrue things I've said about her religion in the past (Christianity). When I pressed her on what "untrue" things I've said she said that I've said that Christianity causes more harm than good. Which I stand by. I'm not gonna label it as a fact as you can't really measure these things but in my opinion yeah, religion (and Christianity itself) has done a fuck ton load more bad than good. She thinks it's fact that Christianity does more good than bad and I'm straight up spreading untruths by saying otherwise.

The retardation is strong in my house today. Dodgy

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
28-04-2014, 02:41 PM
RE: My sister just defended Scientology
If you're talking about her you might want to reintroduce her to the forum for a discussion... And btw, is there anything defensible about scientology?! Shocking

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
28-04-2014, 02:47 PM
(28-04-2014 02:41 PM)John Wrote:  If you're talking about her you might want to reintroduce her to the forum for a discussion... And btw, is there anything defensible about scientology?! Shocking

Oh no I don't. Her view on religion now is that people's beliefs should never but criticised or scrutinised in any way. She literally thinks that even pointing out inconsistencies in religion is an attack on them and anyone who holds the belief, and is wrong. Furthermore, she writes off anything bad done by a religious person as "done by the person, not the religion" and so absolves the religion of any blame. Of course, if someone religious does something good that is totally the religion and not solely the person.

I don't think she'd do overly well here with that attitude.

Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
28-04-2014, 02:50 PM
Pfft. No idea is above scrutiny. No idea is too holy to be discussed. None. An idea does not grow if it is subject to those constraints. It stagnates.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
28-04-2014, 02:51 PM
do you live in the same house with her? If so, how do manage to keep your sanity?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
28-04-2014, 02:57 PM
(28-04-2014 02:51 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  do you live in the same house with her? If so, how do manage to keep your sanity?

Usually by avoiding all religious topics because she's so unreasonable with them (as is my mum), I didn't think she'd be so defensive of Scientology though. My only guess is she's got into her ridiculous "Christian defending the poor religions of the world and their followers from the unreasonable attacks of the evil atheist" moods.

It may spark off later though because I'll end up talking to my dad about it (just to vent) because, despite being a creationist, he's mostly reasonable. Then either my mum or sister will overhear. My mum thinks that it's awful that I ever talk about religion, (especially as I generally am critical of it) and will do anything she can to try and disrupt any conversation which will annoy me and risk an argument. Or my sister will overhear and have a full blown freak out because she generally does whenever I say something she doesn't like.

Religion can be a nightmare in my house when it crops up.

Best
Worst
28-04-2014, 02:57 PM
I am sorry that you share genetic material with this person...must be a mutant gene at work.

Though I find your mainstream religions full of so much bull...Scientology is so far out there for me that I can't take any of it seriously and fail to see how others can.

I came up with a theory and that is that the info put out about Scientology is pure and utter bullshit to throw the rest of us off. The members do seem to know how to make money and be successful. You must have to be a member of the club to know what the deal really is.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
28-04-2014, 03:16 PM
Your reading of the situation looks very reasonable, Hughsie, I can only wish you luck at keeping your mental sanity, although you seem to be doing well in that respect.

Yeah, some conversations are just not worth having.

Have fun, though!
28-04-2014, 03:20 PM
(28-04-2014 02:57 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 02:51 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  do you live in the same house with her? If so, how do manage to keep your sanity?

Usually by avoiding all religious topics because she's so unreasonable with them (as is my mum), I didn't think she'd be so defensive of Scientology though. My only guess is she's got into her ridiculous "Christian defending the poor religions of the world and their followers from the unreasonable attacks of the evil atheist" moods.

It may spark off later though because I'll end up talking to my dad about it (just to vent) because, despite being a creationist, he's mostly reasonable. Then either my mum or sister will overhear. My mum thinks that it's awful that I ever talk about religion, (especially as I generally am critical of it) and will do anything she can to try and disrupt any conversation which will annoy me and risk an argument. Or my sister will overhear and have a full blown freak out because she generally does whenever I say something she doesn't like.

Religion can be a nightmare in my house when it crops up.

I don't know if she'd be interested in reading this book.

Beyond Belief: My Secret Life Inside Scientology and My Harrowing Escape
By Jenna Miscavige Hill

She's the niece of the Scientology leader David Miscavige and left the cult, er I mean, church in 2005.

I haven't read the book yet but it's on my list for future reading. Mearley reading the comments on Amazon books website gives you a good sense of what Scientology is all about and how screwed up it is. Buy the book and leave it around and maybe she'll at least pick it up and thumb through it.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
28-04-2014, 03:25 PM
(28-04-2014 02:47 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 02:41 PM)John Wrote:  If you're talking about her you might want to reintroduce her to the forum for a discussion... And btw, is there anything defensible about scientology?! Shocking

Oh no I don't. Her view on religion now is that people's beliefs should never but criticised or scrutinised in any way. She literally thinks that even pointing out inconsistencies in religion is an attack on them and anyone who holds the belief, and is wrong. Furthermore, she writes off anything bad done by a religious person as "done by the person, not the religion" and so absolves the religion of any blame. Of course, if someone religious does something good that is totally the religion and not solely the person.

I don't think she'd do overly well here with that attitude.

My sister was very like yours. In the end she decided Christianity was not for her but she had to make that decision on her own - I also stopped discussing religion with her before that. The thing is... I think it was mostly because she felt that I was pressuring her that she defended religion.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post