My sister wants me to email her a list of Biblical inaccuracies.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2012, 01:24 PM
RE: My sister wants me to email her a list of Biblical inaccuracies.
The Thinking Atheist has an extensive list linked on his homepage.
Only problem with bible inaccuracies is the Faithful are highly skilled at rationalizing them away so it may not get you anywhere with your sis.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
01-05-2012, 03:16 PM
You took a stab at Seth's list about a week after joining. Do you mean finding suggestions or proving them wrong?

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
01-05-2012, 04:07 PM
existential nihilist.... I think that is also called Emo, in case anyone just wanted to shorten it up a bit Tongue
01-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Then on day six, she created man.
Oh wait ...
How did Adam know what happened on days 1-5 ?
Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

Question everything. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
01-05-2012, 06:24 PM
(01-05-2012 01:24 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Hmmm, I may take a stab at the inaccuracies.
Feel free, my man. Take a shot at this one: all 3 of the first gospels --- Matthew, Mark, and Luke --- have Jesus dying the day after the passover. They make this abundantly clear by the breaking of bread and drinking of wine (the passover feast) which Jesus imbued with new meaning. Plus, they all state specifically that this event was the passover.

The book of John, however, has Jesus dying the day before the passover. His dinner on the night of his betrayal doesn't include any mention of the bread and the wine, and the next day (in addition to specifically mentioning again that it is a day of preparation for the passover) the Jews do not enter Pilate's court specifically because they were staying clean "in preparation for the passover".

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
01-05-2012, 08:46 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2012 08:54 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Jesus born while Quirinius was Procurator, (governor) of Judea. And Herod was King. Trouble is, Herod died 10 years before. Woops

Matthew spends all of Chapter 1, detailing the lineage of Jeebus, through Joseph, (to provide prophetic fullfillment through, and connection to the Davidic line). Then at end of Chapter, does a "Maurey" (Povich). "Joseph is NOT the father". Woops

When was the temple cleansed ? (John) Week 1 of ministry ? (Mark) Last week before execution ? Woops

Mathew quoted the wrong prophet . "Then it was fulfilled what had been spoken through the Prophet Jeremiah. 'And they took thirty pieces of silver and they gave them for the Potter's Field' " (Matthew 27: 9-10). Oops. Trouble is, it's Zechariah 11:3.

God has a short attention span. At the Last supper, they ask him : "Lord, where are you going" ? A few minutes later, he says "yet none of you ask me, where am I going". Woops

What did the voice say at the baptism ? Different in all. Woops

Who goes to the tomb ? Mary alone, (John), Two Marys, (Matthew), Two other Marys, (Mark), a bunch of fine ladies, (Luke). Woops

What did they see? An angel ? A young man ? Oopsy.

Was the stone already rolled away ? Or did they watch the angel roll it away ? Oopsy.

Was Jarius daughter dead or alive ? Matthew 9:18-26 vs Mark 5: 21-43. Woops

Who is for him or against him. Matthew 12:30, OR Mark 9:40 ? Woops

What did he say before Pilate ? Nothing ? (Mark). Gave a speech ? (John) Woops.

Should I go on ? Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
01-05-2012, 10:26 PM
Send her this video of Bart Ehrman discussing the problems with taking the resurrection seriously as a historian. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCdJT8avbpo

Starting at 6:00, he lists of a TON of contradictions in the death and resurrection accounts (the most important story to Christians). I have found it to be very effective against fundies.

[+] 1 user Likes bwilson's post
02-05-2012, 01:52 AM
Let's just start with some basic, flatout contradictions. Black and
white, plain and simple.

How many men drew the sword for Israel counted by Joab?
2nd Sam. 24:9 says 800,000. or 1st Chron. 21:5 says 1.1 million.

How much did David pay for the threshing floor? Was it 600 shekels? (1 Chron. 21:25) or was it 50 shekels? (2nd Sam.24:24)

How many men did David's Chief of Kings kill in one encounter?
800? (2nd Sam. 23:8) or 300? (1 Chron.11:11).

Forget the overall themes like 'God is love and yet violence condoned'
and/or 'the trinity, god is one or god is all 3' blah blah blah. That
just gets pushed off into the gray area.

This is just a small sample of a shitload of contras. As mention before in this thread, i get these from skeptics annotated. And kids, You can have the fun of making your own contras like these shown above! Try it today!

Forget Jesus. Stars died so you could live.-Lawrence Krauss

For god loved the world so much he tortured his only begotten son, gave him a 3 day nap only to wake up in ultimate awesomeness and called it a sacrifice.
[+] 1 user Likes Atheist Chiefs fan!'s post
02-05-2012, 06:43 AM
(01-05-2012 04:17 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Then on day six, she created man.
Oh wait ...
How did Adam know what happened on days 1-5 ?
Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

Question everything. Tongue
God is a hermaphrodite? I have, believe it or not, heard this one seriously proposed......... Sadcryface
02-05-2012, 06:48 AM
(01-05-2012 10:31 AM)germanyt Wrote:  She text me a min ago and asked if I identify as a secular humanist. I told her yes. I then text her and told here I also identify as an existential nihilist and an agnostic atheist. Told her I'm a pretty complicated guy. She tells me that I only feel complicated because I don't have faith and how fulfilling Christianity can be. She asked if I knew of any inaccuracies in the Bible because she had yet to find one. Then she asked me to text them to her. Of course this can't be done in text. I am compiling a large email and already included BCs critique of the bible. Any other copy/pastas y'all can think of that I can send her? I really don't feel like typing all of it. Any historical, geographic, or logical inaccuracies you know of are fine.
How's your list coming along?

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy