My slow departure from the faith (i need vent room)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2016, 06:31 PM
My slow departure from the faith (i need vent room)
Im gonna tell you my story in this thread

I was born into a typical christian family. I was raised going to church and since i still am a teen i still do go to church but i longer accept the faith as truth. I was taught the ideas of speaking in tongues, the eternal punishment of hell and how it was the end times because some jews plotted down their bags in palestine and called it israel.

My departure from the faith was a really slow one because when i was about 13 i was a super christian being lead by the anxiety that the faith causes. Because when i was about 13 years old a preacher came to my church who claimed that he went to hell for 23 minutes because god showed him a vision of hell. The basis of it was how if you die without jesus then you will be tortured by demons in hell forever and it really did cause so much anxiety that i could not sleep for days afterward because i thought i was gonna get a vision of the underworld/gonna die and go to hell.

The following few months after that was constantly repenting of my sins multiple times a day because if i died in sin i would go to hell. During that time period i thought that the music i listened to was also from the devil like deleting songs off my ipod if they contained satanic lyrics (anything against christianity in any way from highway to hell and sympathy for the devil). Even going as far as fearing that i lost my soul because i made a joke about selling my soul for 10 dollars and repenting believing that i just committed the unforgivable sin and was going to hell for it (I am not a schizophrenic just ocd).

My departure began with unanswered prayers because i felt like when i prayed to god that he never answered back except at a few times at summer camp but only lasted then and never went past that. I never got the cure i wanted for my illness. God never cured me even thou i begged for it and i believed he would help me. But i realized that prayers just don't get answered.

Along with the failed prayers i also had difficulties accepting some of the doctrines of the faith. I never believed even as a kid that the world was 6000 years old even thou the grown ups around me did. Noahs ark seemed like a cartoon rather then reality since the only depiction we get is of him with elephants on the ark with a giant rainbow and those found in story books. I knew the god of the old testament was completely evil but for some reason had a change of heart when jesus came. I knew that hell was unfair punishment and i scorned at the idea that my grand fathers were there for not being the right type of christian.

Aside from the doctrines i wondered why christians were always spouting about the end of the world but i have not even lived my life yet? the rapture sounds good on paper but that still is unfair since i never got a shot at life like everyone else had. I had my own dreams in life as a kid but if the rapture occurs then i miss out on the dreams i had. Why would god do this to me? why do i need to be in fear about the end of the world even thou there are tons of failed predictions?

Also why is evolution so bad and distorted in the christian textbooks? this is my final year of going to private christian school before i enroll in public highschool and the biology textbook is so biased against evolution you could compare it to war propaganda. The entire module on evolution not once displays why evolution is true or at least why people accept evolution as truth and how it could be a logical viewpoint even thou they are missing the christian mark. No it rather just says how all macro evolutionists were brainwashed into believing it because an opposing viewpoint was not allowed. When i read the module it just caused me to look more into macro evolution and why it is true instead of the intended goal.

In closing i do not hate god because i do not believe he even exists. I know the reason i was brainwashed into the faith was because my father has had a hard life and generally believes he will see his deceased family members in heaven but i still hate what happened to me. And my mother actually was worse then my father in religion since she used it mostly as a control mechanism because if i don't be a good boy then i will burn in hell forever. She is the type of person who reads charisma magazine and believes in literal demons but condemns her conspiracy theory brother for believing in bigfoot.

Now that i am an atheist i have been happier then ever before. I know this is the only life i am getting and to not let fear hold me back because there is no after this. I am a more confident person now and i truly can say even thou i still have problems i am living a good life. I am just a teen turning 16 in just a few short months from now who is an atheist. I am willing to be let used as an example for if seth and his radio podcast or any other atheist whether big or small finds this interesting then you can use my story i do not mind as long as the username is kept anonymous.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like anonymousyam's post
02-05-2016, 06:40 PM
RE: My slow departure from the faith (i need vent room)
Welcome. There are lots of other teens here, too.

Just look around and chime on in when you want to comment, or start a thread on your own favorite topic.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
02-05-2016, 06:44 PM
Welcome aboard! Thumbsup
02-05-2016, 06:48 PM
(02-05-2016 06:40 PM)Dom Wrote:  Welcome. There are lots of other teens here, too.

Just look around and chime on in when you want to comment, or start a thread on your own favorite topic.

Thanks man i will
[+] 1 user Likes anonymousyam's post
02-05-2016, 06:48 PM
Welcome.

I hate that you had 'the fear of God' put in you as a child. That's one of the worst aspects of religion. It's also how religion keeps many in it's grip.

Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and that you have really thought things through. Probably, you are going to have to play the game until you can support yourself. Enjoy public school and gobble up all the real science you can study there.

I think you are going to be fine. You have it figured out.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
02-05-2016, 06:55 PM
(02-05-2016 06:48 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Welcome.

I hate that you had 'the fear of God' put in you as a child. That's one of the worst aspects of religion. It's also how religion keeps many in it's grip.

Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and that you have really thought things through. Probably, you are going to have to play the game until you can support yourself. Enjoy public school and gobble up all the real science you can study there.

Is physics really that bad? because it probably is the next course of science i will take in public school and i heard about how it is the hardest subject in highschool (i struggle in algebra but it gets harder then that?).
02-05-2016, 06:58 PM
(02-05-2016 06:55 PM)anonymousyam Wrote:  

Is physics really that bad? because it probably is the next course of science i will take in public school and i heard about how it is the hardest subject in highschool (i struggle in algebra but it gets harder then that?).

We have lots of science and math types here. I am a Algebra impaired. Undecided I only took Intro to Physics as I am more into biology. I am sure someone will have answers to those questions.

You are going to be fine. Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
02-05-2016, 07:10 PM
I happen to also be an atheist teen. I also became a lot happier when I became an atheist. My motivation for living grew a lot. It's really nice. Take care and stay strong. If you need help, there are resources.

Learning real science will be super helpful. Smile

Also, I currently take physics. I enjoy it a lot. I'm a very science/math kind of person, though.
[+] 1 user Likes CosmicRaven's post
03-05-2016, 12:59 AM
Welcome!

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
03-05-2016, 05:50 AM
(02-05-2016 06:55 PM)anonymousyam Wrote:  

Physics is deeply interesting. It's worth the work. Spend some time brushing up on math during the summer and you'll probably be fine.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post