My smart friend believes, despite reasoning.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2015, 07:43 AM
RE: My smart friend believes, despite reasoning.
(29-05-2015 09:39 PM)FlamingFish Wrote:  So my friend is extremely smart, there is no doubting this. We've had quite a few discussions. Each time we discuss, I believe a little less (I'm basically an atheist now, I'm just coming to terms with it). Each time we discuss, he maintains the same point of view. He views every story in the Bible as a metaphor to at least maintain some credibility (assuming any non-flawed idea has some inherent credibility, as it provides no evidence to give it credibility). I have said stuff along the lines of "With you being as smart as you are, can you seriously tell me that this makes any sense?" (It works with most stories in the Bible). He generally replies along the lines of "No, but I believe it anyway, because it is comforting." Is this an ok idea to maintain, and if you believe it isn't, then how do you suppose one would convince him to give up his belief if he takes anything that is unrealistic as a metaphor.

tl;dr
My friend is extremely smart. He recognizes his belief is flawed, and that there is no reason to believe, but he says he believes because it is comforting. Is this ok? If not, why not?

If he don't show his beliefs in throats of others and is not trying to force religious taboo onto others then I see no problem. Smart or not, it is his life and if believing in fairy tales gives him comfort then I see nothing wrong with it.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
01-06-2015, 03:58 AM
(30-05-2015 07:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Our own KingsChosen admits to using his belief as a salve and ointment. Perfectly legitimate use.

Legitimate? Hardly - it's homeopathic salve and ointment. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
01-06-2015, 09:10 AM
(01-06-2015 03:58 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-05-2015 07:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Our own KingsChosen admits to using his belief as a salve and ointment. Perfectly legitimate use.

Nonono.

It works in KC's case because it's been watered down.

That's nothing like homeopathy AT ALL.
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
01-06-2015, 01:17 PM
(01-06-2015 03:58 AM)Chas Wrote:  

[Image: 46e1df79b357b4e89934a11fee358ea0d6f66db6...f3105a.jpg]

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
02-06-2015, 06:22 AM
(29-05-2015 09:39 PM)FlamingFish Wrote:  My friend is extremely smart. He recognizes his belief is flawed, and that there is no reason to believe, but he says he believes because it is comforting. Is this ok? If not, why not?

I was the same way in college. I got to a point where I could almost rationally admit that my beliefs were baseless, but I was not emotionally ready to let go.

Similarly, my wife is probably smarter than me (at least IQ wise. I think she clocks in around 144) and she is still Christian. She's a pretty liberal Christian who doesn't believe the Bible to be literally true (or even necessarily metaphorically true in some parts). Her argument for it is one of personal revelation. She knows that she can't convince me with that and understands why, but it's not going to change her mind.

Religious faith isn't really a matter of intelligence.