My son is reading the bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2016, 06:47 AM
RE: My son is reading the bible
(05-01-2016 02:24 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Has he read Harry Potter yet?

If so, ask him who he thinks does the better magic tricks ... Potter or Jesus?

Consider

Ha. Actually, he started reading HP a while ago and has watched the movies. He actually made that connection on his own. And the answer is of course Harry.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
05-01-2016, 08:17 AM
(04-01-2016 10:43 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(04-01-2016 05:18 PM)cmr211 Wrote:  If you want to start reading the bible, shouldn't you start at Genesis, the most important (and incorrect) book of the bible?Smile

Nope. It's the NT because as my wife has said before, the OT is not as important. Besides, there are many worse things in the NT than killing. Tonight, after protesting even dicussing this in front of the kids (something I insist on doing), I pointed out the Herrod/Quirinius problem and on queue, she said that they are simply different accounts. I then pointed out that if Herrod wanted to kill all the kids under 2 years of age, that had to be the window of his birth to the magi coming. Luke clearly states that Jeebus was a newborn at the time of Quirinius which was years after Herrod was already dead. She said, "well you raise a good point," then ducked out of the conversation. I think this will get far more interesting as we go along. I am totally expecting her to do the chapter before I get home soon. We shall see.....

@Fireball, he is 8.

8 is a great age for him to be exposed to this. Maybe a bit young, but not much.
05-01-2016, 09:52 AM
I read the bible when I was 10 - for the first and last time, front to back. Then I put it away and went about my newly heathen ways. He can figure it out at 8, especially with your input here and there.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
05-01-2016, 09:54 AM
(05-01-2016 06:26 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(04-01-2016 10:56 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  See, stuff like that stays with you for ever.....so be careful with that bible reading or also read something else.....like Edgar Allen Poe!

Poe is less macabre and gory than parts of the OT

Quoth the Heathen "Nevermore."

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
05-01-2016, 10:14 AM
To hell with reading the bible to a kid. Fuck the bible.

I mentioned my brother reading me Poe's The Raven and The Bells, my dad also read me Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer at night. He also read Charles Dickens and (you're gonna laugh) Canterbury Tales complete with a somewhat interesting old English kinda accent. I had no idea what it was about but it was fun to listen to. My mother once read Shakespeare's St. Crispin's Day speech to me at bedtime. Laughat I had very funny parents. I never had children's books read to me, maybe that's why I'm so goofy. Laugh out load

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
05-01-2016, 10:31 AM
(05-01-2016 10:14 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  To hell with reading the bible to a kid. Fuck the bible.

I mentioned my brother reading me Poe's The Raven and The Bells, my dad also read me Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer at night. He also read Charles Dickens and (you're gonna laugh) Canterbury Tales complete with a somewhat interesting old English kinda accent. I had no idea what it was about but it was fun to listen to. My mother once read Shakespeare's St. Crispin's Day speech to me at bedtime. Laughat I had very funny parents. I never had children's books read to me, maybe that's why I'm so goofy. Laugh out load

My mom's a theatre professor. I, too, was exposed to these books and to Shakespeare from a very young age. Henry V (which contains the St. Crispin's Day speech) was my favorite, and remains so. I have the DVD of the Branaugh film version sitting within arm's reach, right now.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
05-01-2016, 11:01 AM
(05-01-2016 10:14 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  To hell with reading the bible to a kid. Fuck the bible.

Sounds like you had/have really cool parents.
05-01-2016, 11:23 AM
(05-01-2016 11:01 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  

Sounds like you had/have really cool parents.

They were funny people.
They never took me to see Disney movies either. I didn't see a Disney movie until I was 21 and in college , about the same year I read the Bible for the first time. I saw......was what's her name and the Seven Dwarfs.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
05-01-2016, 02:58 PM
(04-01-2016 05:06 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  First off, no, Atothetheist is not my kid, this is pure coincidence.

So he had mentioned reading it a while ago and so last night my wife started to do it with him. Beginning at Matthew of course. The goal is 1 chapter each day. The interesting part is that it is when I tuck them into bed so I was threre. The rather disturbing part is that when he got through the geneology, I mentioned that he should compare it to what Luke says is the geneology. She of course didn't like that bit of fact checking but I hope the point was made. It will be difficult to have him do the gospels in parallel with her there to see if he spots the differences but I think it is important to not do it the way my wife was indoctrinated to do it.

Bedtime just got way more interesting.........
Just so I'm clear, is your wife Christian, and is she "educating" him with the bible? Or is she a skeptic and "exposing" him to the bible?

I personally don't see the reason to expose a child to specifically the bible unless you are trying to indoctrinate the kid. Exposing him to a larger array of holy texts from different theologies might be helpful though.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
05-01-2016, 03:22 PM
TOC -

It sounds like your wife is doing a wonderful job of parenting and you really need to stop interfering. You will be depriving your son of one of the greatest joys of childhood if you ask all the big embarassing questions before he can. I can think of few more effective methods of turning him off of religion than reading the Bibble at him one dreadfully boring chapter at a time.

Seriously though, the direct approach is probably one of the less effective in this case. This can only be a source of dispute between you and your wife. No matter how it's going now, that will get much worse once your kid dumps religion. Keep in mind as well that munchkins are devilishly perceptive. Your son is going to pick up on all this tension but may well misunderstand that the focus of the matter is the book rather than himself. You may be inadvertently lending weight to your wife's cause.

I suggest instead a "compromise". Divide the week up between the two of you. Your wife gets three nights where she reads with/to your son and you get the other three. The kid gets to rest on the seventh. Both of you agree not to interfere with the other. Avoid anything weighty and grab something fun! He's an 8 year old with an active imagination so this is a battle of storytelling.

I'm sure you have a list of childhood favorites but allow me to reccommend the following:

Tolkien: The Hobbit remains a favorite in spite of abuses by Hollywood. If your son enjoyed Harry Potter then it's high time that he was introduced to the man who created the genre. And as much as I enjoyed JK Rowling, I will see your Dark Lord and raise you Smaug the Terrible!

CS Lewis: Kids love the Narnia books regardless of the author's ulterior motives. Lewis did atheism a great favour the day he used a magic wardrobe, wicked witch and pack of talking animals to cleverly illustrate just how fictitious Christianity is.

Terry Pratchett: While Sir Terry did write a couple of series aimed at younger readers, just about any of his works are appropriate. Guards! Guards! is a personal favorite and is the first of many featuring Sam Vimes and the Night Watch. Errol is a loveable supporting character and quite possibly the first dragon to Get It Right.

Roald Dahl: A very odd writer by any standard but highly memorable. Danny Champion of the World is one of his more normal books about a young boy and his scoundrel of a father.

A good solid book of dinosaurs for nonfiction. If possible, these have gotten even cooler over time. Gone is the drab, mud-colouring to be replaced with brightly feathered raptors and a host of other paleontological wonders.

For a fun experiment, leave the book in his room but slightly out of his reach. Then wait and see how long it takes the book to start moving on its own, your household to run out of flashlight batteries and your wife to start reading him a better class of fiction.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post