My son is reading the bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2016, 02:44 PM
RE: My son is reading the bible
(11-01-2016 11:19 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  So the other night when we were reading the nightly chapter from Matthew, it brought up HELL!!! My son asked what that was. My wife and I explained it quickly and his reply was: "that's stupid." To which her reply is that not everyone believes in hell who believes in Jesus. I couldn't help but wonder if she even was listening to herself. She was saying that there are people who believe that Jesus was actually god and that these were the actual words he spoke and yet reject a fundamental teaching that was first brought up by him. I know she believes in hell, we have discussed it in the past, so I really can't help but wonder who she could have been referring to. This little exercise is kind of turning into an interesting foray into her mind. What is even more interesting is that she was absolutely in agreement with me a little earlier when I pointed out that the entire Catholic church goes against what Jesus teaches in Matthew about prayer. I find it fascinating that she can follow some things while blatantly ignoring others and this (by all outward appearances) seems perfectly rational to her.

I don't know, I just get the feeling that she has some additional motives for doing this. It is a perfect way for her to make some concessions without starting a debate since the kid is there.

Hell may be one of those little concessions. She may also just have registered your son's common sense reaction and it may be food for thought for her.

She may be watching you as intently as you are watching her. Between you two and the kid, it's a very interesting situation.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
11-01-2016, 07:01 PM
(11-01-2016 11:19 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  So the other night when we were reading the nightly chapter from Matthew, it brought up HELL!!! My son asked what that was. My wife and I explained it quickly and his reply was: "that's stupid." To which her reply is that not everyone believes in hell who believes in Jesus. I couldn't help but wonder if she even was listening to herself.

I'd bet a fair sum that she could very clearly hear, "Crap, crap, crap! My eight year old just called bullshit on a basic tennet of my beliefs and none of my standard tactics work in this situation. Back-peddle fast and make it sound like mommy isn't one of the people who believe this stupidity without telling an outright lie."

Standard dodge for a parent caught flat-footed believing something really dumb.

You may have to referee on your wife's behalf. Sounds like she knows not the peril she faces.

The Son of the Organic Chemist

Positive (+1): Concise rebuttal.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
11-01-2016, 07:32 PM
(11-01-2016 11:19 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  So the other night when we were reading the nightly chapter from Matthew, it brought up HELL!!! My son asked what that was. My wife and I explained it quickly and his reply was: "that's stupid." To which her reply is that not everyone believes in hell who believes in Jesus. I couldn't help but wonder if she even was listening to herself. She was saying that there are people who believe that Jesus was actually god and that these were the actual words he spoke and yet reject a fundamental teaching that was first brought up by him. I know she believes in hell, we have discussed it in the past, so I really can't help but wonder who she could have been referring to. This little exercise is kind of turning into an interesting foray into her mind. What is even more interesting is that she was absolutely in agreement with me a little earlier when I pointed out that the entire Catholic church goes against what Jesus teaches in Matthew about prayer. I find it fascinating that she can follow some things while blatantly ignoring others and this (by all outward appearances) seems perfectly rational to her.

It is to all religionists. Part of the life. "Yes I am aware of what that chapter says, but you have to compare it with this over here." I have heard a thousand times by people who thing they are being rational!
12-01-2016, 12:51 AM
(11-01-2016 02:44 PM)Dom Wrote:  I don't know, I just get the feeling that she has some additional motives for doing this.

She had no real motives for this, it was purely his idea.

(11-01-2016 02:44 PM)Dom Wrote:  Hell may be one of those little concessions. She may also just have registered your son's common sense reaction and it may be food for thought for her.

She may be watching you as intently as you are watching her. Between you two and the kid, it's a very interesting situation.

I have no idea where she is on this. Denial runs strong with her. Once we were talking about hell and she said that she believes that you will have one more chance as you stand before god after you die. To this I replied that at that point, you have proof of whatever diety is there and so no faith is required at that point. This flies completely in the face of what the bible says. After a little bantering, she conceded that I was right. I think she told herself that to ease her mind about me and what she has been taught.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
12-01-2016, 06:29 AM
(12-01-2016 12:51 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(11-01-2016 02:44 PM)Dom Wrote:  I don't know, I just get the feeling that she has some additional motives for doing this.

She had no real motives for this, it was purely his idea.

(11-01-2016 02:44 PM)Dom Wrote:  Hell may be one of those little concessions. She may also just have registered your son's common sense reaction and it may be food for thought for her.

I have no idea where she is on this. Denial runs strong with her. Once we were talking about hell and she said that she believes that you will have one more chance as you stand before god after you die. To this I replied that at that point, you have proof of whatever diety is there and so no faith is required at that point. This flies completely in the face of what the bible says. After a little bantering, she conceded that I was right. I think she told herself that to ease her mind about me and what she has been taught.

Actually, the catholic nuns told me that there would be an interview at the pearly gates and that god was ever loving and would forgive if he saw us repent and return his pure love. Now, the nuns told this to a class of 9 year olds...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
12-01-2016, 06:51 AM
So what's your plan when you read Genesis? To me, when it says God made man from dust, there are a lot of options to branch off into.

You could explain that the idea of creating golems, and having a divine being breath life into it goes back to Sumerian mythology and that's where Hebrew mythology originated from.

So that goes into the origination of myths and their history or you could dig into the science and how ridiculous it all is.

To understand the science that debunks it and the historical myth behind it is quite a large subject, you could be having discussions on those subjects for years.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition