My speech at school tonight

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2013, 10:43 PM
My speech at school tonight
We had to give a speech titled "Who I Really Am" tonight in class. I went over this many times trying to figure out a way to go about it. I am (by a fair amount) older than everyone else in the class except the instructor. I decided to go with the angle that what I am is the result of the things I have been, places I have been, and the people that have been in my life.

I tend not to broach Atheism in a group but will one on one with people. I put that in and took it out, wash, rinse, repeat multiple times.

A young man gave his speech first and stated that he was a Pagan, did some explaining for those that didn't know anything about it and stated that he sometimes doesn't say anything because he doesn't know what kind of reaction he will get. By the time I got up...I spoke directly to him and said I understood his hesitation regarding announcing his Paganism and I put my Atheism back in saying:

I have been a Catholic school girl...with doubts. I have been a seeker. Now I am an Atheist. I believe in science.

I am glad I did...finally out loud in front of a group.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Anjele's post
14-02-2013, 10:53 PM
RE: My speech at school tonight
Isn't Paganism more of a 'what' than a 'who'? Ditto, Atheism.

So I think you are saying that our 'who' is the sum of our 'whats' + 'how' (the journey and experiences that brought us to) 'where' we are now ('when'), right?

That just leaves the 'why' question.

Meanwhile, how was your speech received?

14-02-2013, 10:57 PM
Hey DLJ,
It was more about getting it out that not everyone is Christian. A lot of others did quick intros the first night and pointed out their faith. But I get what you are saying.

And yes, none us are just one thing and all out experiences factor into what we are.

It went well. The people laughed in the right spots and their focus increased where I wanted it to. All in all, I think it was good.

We had just 3-5 minutes so you could only go so deep with it. I am NOT a public speaker...this was a stretch for me.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
15-02-2013, 02:34 AM

I'm never ashamed to say I'm a Christian. I'm never ashamed to say I'm a Veridican-type Christian.

You must consider atheism something to be ashamed of.
Quote this message in a reply
15-02-2013, 02:50 AM
(15-02-2013 02:34 AM)Egor Wrote:  You must consider atheism something to be ashamed of.

hmmmm, yup, nope. There's something wrong in your head Ego®. Know how I know? 'Cause there's something ain't quite right in my gulliver either, brother.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
15-02-2013, 04:34 AM
(15-02-2013 02:34 AM)Egor Wrote:  I'm never ashamed to say I'm a Christian. I'm never ashamed to say I'm a Veridican-type Christian.

Not that this begs an explanation, but for any boob who may happen upon your comment and agree with you for whatever reason:

Atheists, while steadily growing in numbers, are still a minority. Any minority - theistic, ethnic, cultural or otherwise - is going to be looked upon as something to be wary of. This is especially true with atheists, whom much of the world believes are evil, amoral God-bashers who are of the Devil and want to mandate forced abortions so that they can consume your infants. As Dawkins said, "Introducing yourself as an atheist is tantamount to introducing yourself as Mr. Hitler or Mrs. Beelzebub". While Atheism is certianly nothing to be ashamed of, it is understandable that some with more conservative personalities may feel a measure of reservation in regard to putting their lack of belief on display. As part of a minority, an atheist who proffesses their non-belief is essentially stating "Look at me: I am not one of you. I am different." In our social, tribe-based society, that can be a nerve-wracking, even dangerous endeavor. So again, a measure of discomfort with revealing one's atheism is understandable.

Get your head out of your ass. Drinking Beverage

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Misanthropik's post
15-02-2013, 04:37 AM
(15-02-2013 02:34 AM)Egor Wrote:  I'm never ashamed to say I'm a Christian. I'm never ashamed to say I'm a Veridican-type Christian.

What conditions dictate it as a "must?"

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
15-02-2013, 04:52 AM

I don't think that the early christians were 'ashamed', they were just doing a little risk assessment.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Christians

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
15-02-2013, 06:47 AM
Ego®, if you could read, you would pick up the concept that the hesitation is due to the unknown reaction by others. It is their ignorance of what it means to be an Atheist that creates the hesitation, not any shame on my part.

15-02-2013, 08:37 AM
If I were you (thank Allah, I'm not!), I wouldn't be ashamed of my stupid faith, either. But I'd be mortified of being a hateful person, who one of these days might very well choke to death on his venom.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 4 users Like Vera's post