My surprising coworker

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-08-2016, 03:16 PM
My surprising coworker
Wall of text ahead - You have been warned:

So as I am rendering a video and am highly bored while I wait, let me tell you about my surprising coworker.
So I work with this coworker who also became kind of a friend. I mean we walk together and talk private things etc. Very nice person.

I met her at work a while ago and in the beginning didn't have too much to do with her. After a while she started to work on the same stuff that I did so we started talking, having lunch, etc.
Very nice person and also very honest. In that bit she is a bit like I am. I find it more comfy to just not lie (I mean generally just to be an honest person). And as we talked over the past years I found out at some point that she is also an Atheist. And we never really talked how she got there, as she was raised Christian and she told me that she saw some stuff on YouTube and it made sense to her so she is now an Atheist. Fine eh.

Well a while later she told me that she thinks the earth is flat. And I think my eyes almost popped out of my head while my mouth fell open. I am unsure how dumb I looked at that moment so I asked her how she got to that conclusion. Right? We are investigative people and want to learn more. Right?
Well turns out she had watched a video on YouTube and it made sense so she now believed the earth was flat.
Because I care about her, I tried to ask some questions that would just come to mind. Like why would scientists say otherwise? Why is it being taught in school? I explained some very basic, simple things about physics too. This was not all in one day btw. I probed a little every time she came up with the topic. Well there was nothing that could reason with her because that thing on YouTube had made sense and no one would convince her otherwise so she sent me the link and I promised to watch the thing. With an open mind I started watching but my mind started tilting soon as the thing made no sense. It was a collection of points being made by someone who clearly didn't know even the basics of physics and probably had no concept of the scientific method and normal logic reasoning.
So after watching the thing, I told her that I had watched and started point out the mistakes that were made in that "documentary".
But she just smiled at me like I didn't understand the whole thing and because the documentary thing had made sense to her, as I said before, there was nothing that could convince her otherwise.

Well everybody has their quirks and I can live with it. I am ignorant and dumb on many things too so whatever.
So let's jump a bit in time.

Recently I found out that she had decided that she wanted to be vegan, which is fine, I don't mind about anybody's lifestyle as long as those people stay reasonable and let me live my own life the way I want. So I asked her how she got to this conclusion. Well guess what. She had read a book that made sense and then later found a person on some social media (I forgot which) who was making sense to her. So when she ate something with cheese I asked her about it. I said something along the lines of "Oh I thought you are vegan?" (sidenote, we get free lunch at work) So she was like, yes I want to but the food here is so nice and I really like cheese.
Well I shrugged it off. After all, I was Vegan for such a long time, and always still had an Omelette every week (because you need some animal protein and it seemed the least invasive to me). So yea whatever, right?

The other day we talked about her dog and how the dog behaves and how she doesn't know how to fix some problematic behaviours. So I told her some reasons and things that can be done and told her that my mr and I are really good with this and can help if she wants us to. She was very reasonable about it and very happy too. She said she wants to learn so she knows how to do things etc. When she first invited me to her house a few days later, she warned me that the dog is always so excited etc. So knowing this, I stepped in the flat calmly, ignoring the excited dog and I explained to her why I did this. She acknowledged and kept doing wrong behaviours, giving the dog mixed signals and even kept doing so after I explained her how to do it better and why it is better for the dog etc. I even gave her a demonstration as she asked me to sit down and 5 minutes later, the dog was calm right next to me. She was surprised how I did this magic although I had explained during me doing the "magic".

These were just a few things that happened / we talked about. I have more up my sleeve but I think I have given you a good picture of her.

I have to say that this is a very nice person. Very kind and honest and helpful and positive. Really you gotta love that person.
But it is one of those people, that just keeps surprising me with these odd logic fails on an almost daily basis.
And especially how she bows down to some YouTubers that "make sense", as if they would be a trustworthy authority, and then she doesn't go ahead and thinks about what she hears and learns. Instead she just takes it in as the total truth and no matter what you say, really without being an ass but simply by asking a logic question, all you get is a smile and the discussion is over.

By now I got used to this oddity and everytime a new thing comes up, I quickly realize if it is something that she heard and it made sense to her so now this is the absolute truth. In those cases I became very good in shrugging it off and moving on with another topic Big Grin

You know such people too? If so, do you find it equally irritating?

Anyway, I could keep telling you about her but my video is done rendering, so I will stop for now Big Grin

Cheers
Leela

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
08-08-2016, 04:30 PM
RE: My surprising coworker
Are you sure she's not just a good actor - and she's having fun winding you up????

I ask -- because I do that sort of thing from time to time, when I'm really bored.......

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
08-08-2016, 04:33 PM
(08-08-2016 04:30 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Are you sure she's not just a good actor - and she's having fun winding you up????

I ask -- because I do that sort of thing from time to time, when I'm really bored.......

Big Grin

I think she is honest actually.

- Wotsefack?! -
09-08-2016, 12:12 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2016 12:21 PM by GenesisNemesis.)
Well my mother believes in astrology, and thinks god helps her find things that she forgot. I just shrug it off. Not much I can do about it. Tongue
09-08-2016, 12:22 PM
Why does she think the earth is flat? Does it offer a simpler explanation for other observations?

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
09-08-2016, 12:34 PM
You might try sending her a video explaining that the world is round.

She seems to believe whatever she was told last.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post
09-08-2016, 01:41 PM
(09-08-2016 12:22 PM)tomilay Wrote:  Why does she think the earth is flat? Does it offer a simpler explanation for other observations?

Not simpler at all. It is all a big conspiracy of course and the government is in on it lol.
The video did some pseudo scientific babble and I think that is what was compelling in connection with some cheaply made graphics.
For example 1: That we see the horizon as a straight line.
For example 2: If ships are on the water and they go parallel to the horizon we should see them tilting they farther they move to the side but we see them going straight instead.
Every single one of the points in the video I watched, which she linked me and which is her bible on this topic, is like that. I explained physics to her. I mean in simple terms and very basic but in a way that I understood back in 3rd grade already. But I received a smile and the conversation was over lol so yea.

- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
09-08-2016, 02:01 PM
Sounds like a nice and well-meaning dingbat. The world is full of them.

Maybe you should make a youtube video about dog training and send her the link.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
09-08-2016, 02:23 PM
Ask her why when you take a long exposire video of the night sky the stars seem to spin in a circle, and the speed at which they 'spin' varies from pole to equator.

Or why shadows travel up the side of mountains/buldings during sunset, as would be explainable by a curved/spherical earth.

Or why you can see more of the base of an island when standing on its highest peak than an observer on a beach several miles away.

Has she ever lived near the ocean? Been on a plane?

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
09-08-2016, 02:36 PM
maybe a few name drops will get her curious enough to look up their videos....Bill Nye, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Lawrence Krauss, Brian Cox

She also seems to get sucked in by hype/conspiracy. Maybe you could explain that the stuff Newton and others proposed had the same response way back when. In Tysons version of Cosmos he talked about it.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller