My surprising coworker

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2016, 02:45 PM
RE: My surprising coworker
She seems like someone who is very susceptible to conspiracy theories. I said this because I also know someone who didn't believe in a Christian god but still believe the earth is flat. He also believes the government is doing a cover up of it. And i am like "Why the hell would they go through all this trouble to make anyone believe the Earth is round when it is not?!".

She is either trolling or have problem with critical thinking.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2016, 04:40 PM
Mr Boston: Yes she probably is. I love her to bits, she is so kind. But she just really believes everything if someone on youtube said it in a serious voice... And about the video. She actually watches the dog whisperer and she saw me using his techniques live in front of her nose and having success within minutes. She still thought I am doing magic *shrug*

Loom: I tried these type of questions. But since everything is a conspiracy... well what can I do really.

Bows and Arrows: I can drop the names but I think she will not understand anything these good men say. She needs it to be very entertaining with a bit of mystery or woo mixed in somehow. dunno.

TheMoralist: Absolutely. She is very suceptible to pretty much everything that has been said by someone on youtube in a serious voice (as mentioned above). She is btw trying the critical thinking thing but she is not very good at it. She needs things in bite size bits or she won't have the patience really. Also about the coverup > Her answer was, that it would be too expensive, they are too deep in it now. No idea who "they" are and what "it" is in this context but hey who am I to judge lol.

I feel like she is one of the people who would be great in a religious community where things are just simple.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
09-08-2016, 04:56 PM
(09-08-2016 01:41 PM)Leela Wrote:  
(09-08-2016 12:22 PM)tomilay Wrote:  Why does she think the earth is flat? Does it offer a simpler explanation for other observations?

Not simpler at all. It is all a big conspiracy of course and the government is in on it lol.
The video did some pseudo scientific babble and I think that is what was compelling in connection with some cheaply made graphics.
For example 1: That we see the horizon as a straight line.
For example 2: If ships are on the water and they go parallel to the horizon we should see them tilting they farther they move to the side but we see them going straight instead.
Every single one of the points in the video I watched, which she linked me and which is her bible on this topic, is like that. I explained physics to her. I mean in simple terms and very basic but in a way that I understood back in 3rd grade already. But I received a smile and the conversation was over lol so yea.

Surprising indeed.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
09-08-2016, 04:57 PM
(09-08-2016 02:23 PM)Loom Wrote:  Ask her why when you take a long exposire video of the night sky the stars seem to spin in a circle, and the speed at which they 'spin' varies from pole to equator.

Or why shadows travel up the side of mountains/buldings during sunset, as would be explainable by a curved/spherical earth.

Or why you can see more of the base of an island when standing on its highest peak than an observer on a beach several miles away.

Has she ever lived near the ocean? Been on a plane?

The South Pole is not a point at all, but spread all the way around the exterior of the plate we are on is their theory. I helped a cousin over come this absurdity by having him check out the distance around the earth at 45 degrees North and 45 degrees South. Is it really 3 or 4 times further around the earth at Southern latitudes? No, so he decided I was right.
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
09-08-2016, 05:02 PM
(09-08-2016 04:40 PM)Leela Wrote:  Mr Boston: Yes she probably is. I love her to bits, she is so kind. But she just really believes everything if someone on youtube said it in a serious voice... And about the video. She actually watches the dog whisperer and she saw me using his techniques live in front of her nose and having success within minutes. She still thought I am doing magic *shrug*

Loom: I tried these type of questions. But since everything is a conspiracy... well what can I do really.

Bows and Arrows: I can drop the names but I think she will not understand anything these good men say. She needs it to be very entertaining with a bit of mystery or woo mixed in somehow. dunno.

TheMoralist: Absolutely. She is very suceptible to pretty much everything that has been said by someone on youtube in a serious voice (as mentioned above). She is btw trying the critical thinking thing but she is not very good at it. She needs things in bite size bits or she won't have the patience really. Also about the coverup > Her answer was, that it would be too expensive, they are too deep in it now. No idea who "they" are and what "it" is in this context but hey who am I to judge lol.

I feel like she is one of the people who would be great in a religious community where things are just simple.

I know people like that. They also tend to be outspoken. Easily taking over discussions. That is how some ridiculous percentage of the world in 2016 still believe in superstitions.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg