My take on "God"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2013, 09:52 AM
My take on "God"
Perhaps many of us spent time looking in the wrong direction for "God". I have to admit that many of the stories in the bible are metaphorical and not to be taken literally so there are good lessons to learn. But is "God" some great being that is beyond the universe or does God lie within us as an inner spirit. Many times when my mind has been full of conflict have I walked and reflected on what is so troubling. And as I walk far enough to tire me the answer comes with great clarity. It was in me all the time and in my case walking until tired cleared my mind of the trash. This has happened many times which has caused me to wonder.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Takelababy's post
30-10-2013, 10:16 AM
RE: My take on "God"
(30-10-2013 09:52 AM)Takelababy Wrote:  Perhaps many of us spent time looking in the wrong direction for "God". I have to admit that many of the stories in the bible are metaphorical and not to be taken literally so there are good lessons to learn. But is "God" some great being that is beyond the universe or does God lie within us as an inner spirit. Many times when my mind has been full of conflict have I walked and reflected on what is so troubling. And as I walk far enough to tire me the answer comes with great clarity. It was in me all the time and in my case walking until tired cleared my mind of the trash. This has happened many times which has caused me to wonder.

That says a lot for reflection; not so much for god. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
30-10-2013, 10:20 AM
(30-10-2013 09:52 AM)Takelababy Wrote:  Perhaps many of us spent time looking in the wrong direction for "God". I have to admit that many of the stories in the bible are metaphorical and not to be taken literally so there are good lessons to learn. But is "God" some great being that is beyond the universe or does God lie within us as an inner spirit. Many times when my mind has been full of conflict have I walked and reflected on what is so troubling. And as I walk far enough to tire me the answer comes with great clarity. It was in me all the time and in my case walking until tired cleared my mind of the trash. This has happened many times which has caused me to wonder.

You can put a label "God" on anything I suppose. Physical exercise is both good
for the brain and for the rest of the body.
30-10-2013, 10:21 AM
Someone actually gets itSmile God is just a metaphor, not an entity, not all powerful its a personal reflection of ourselves. Why else would people have so many definitions for god? God IS you.
It could be argued to also be the dream of unlimited potential, human potential.
We want to be powerful, want to be loving, want to be kind, and compassionate. Of course there are many othersides to god as wrathful, confrontational all these things. In a way it's a reflection of our personalities.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 2 users Like grizzlysnake's post
30-10-2013, 10:33 AM
Why call that "God"? Really, it's all you.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
30-10-2013, 10:51 AM
(30-10-2013 09:52 AM)Takelababy Wrote:  And as I walk far enough to tire me the answer comes with great clarity. It was in me all the time and in my case walking until tired cleared my mind of the trash. This has happened many times which has caused me to wonder.

I don't wonder at all; our everyday living causes our mind to be full of trash, as you aptly observed. Our mind is also very skilled in the art of distraction, often convincing us we do not have time to think.

Attaching a different identity to what is demonstratively ourselves, is what causes people to give up responsibility in favor of religious dogma. One often hears of people "giving their troubles to god"... or "let god handle it"... when, if one just takes time to think things through, they would find it is in them all the time.

Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty and wisdom will come to you that way. ~ Christopher Hitchens

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
30-10-2013, 10:56 AM
And!

Gwynnies. Big Grin

As for the "why not call it self" thingies, because self is always around, sillies. Enlightenment ya hafta look for. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
30-10-2013, 11:28 AM
In that vain, god is also a car key, a door knob, a light switch, a cup of coffee, a light kiss on the cheek, a cold glass of lemonade on a hot summer day.
Naming something that we experience naturally or use in our every day lives as god is meaningless.
If it is your desire to imagine supernatural things directly imposed upon the natural world, then you are living in a delusional world.

A tooth fairy doesn't loosen teeth preparing for them to fall out.
A troll doesn't guard your trash at night to ensure that raccoons don't get into it.
And a god doesn't clear your thoughts

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
30-10-2013, 11:31 AM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2013 12:01 PM by Can_of_Beans.)
It's awfully hard to have a meaningful discussion when words lack precise definitions.

For example

1: Do you believe in god?
2: No.
1: Really? But I have a cup of god right here.
2: That's coffee...
1: How do you know that coffee isn't god? Coffee fills me with a sense of vitality, and I treat my fellow people more humanely when I'm filled with coffee. Coffee makes me a better person, and if that's not god, then I don't know what is.
2: Uh, huh...so if coffee is god, does that mean Juan Valdez is his prophet?
1: Blasphemy! Die heretic!

Rolleyes

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 4 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
30-10-2013, 11:40 AM
(30-10-2013 10:21 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Someone actually gets itSmile God is just a metaphor, not an entity, not all powerful its a personal reflection of ourselves. Why else would people have so many definitions for god? God IS you.
It could be argued to also be the dream of unlimited potential, human potential.
We want to be powerful, want to be loving, want to be kind, and compassionate. Of course there are many othersides to god as wrathful, confrontational all these things. In a way it's a reflection of our personalities.

That's why people get so pissed when you reject their god because in reality you're rejecting the god construct in their heads. It helps me understand the anger and threatening posture.