My take on "God"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2013, 11:48 AM
RE: My take on "God"
(30-10-2013 11:40 AM)Chopdoc Wrote:  
(30-10-2013 10:21 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Someone actually gets itSmile God is just a metaphor, not an entity, not all powerful its a personal reflection of ourselves. Why else would people have so many definitions for god? God IS you.
It could be argued to also be the dream of unlimited potential, human potential.
We want to be powerful, want to be loving, want to be kind, and compassionate. Of course there are many othersides to god as wrathful, confrontational all these things. In a way it's a reflection of our personalities.

That's why people get so pissed when you reject their god because in reality you're rejecting the god construct in their heads. It helps me understand the anger and threatening posture.
Yup, I suppose you're also familiar with Dark Matter's video?
What helps me understand religion is mythology and the use of symbols. Symbols of fire, giants, dragons and all that have specific meanings according to the region of where the myths originate. It puzzles me how people actually believe in most of this stuff that was never meant to be taken literally in the first place.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-10-2013, 11:58 AM
(30-10-2013 11:48 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  
(30-10-2013 11:40 AM)Chopdoc Wrote:  That's why people get so pissed when you reject their god because in reality you're rejecting the god construct in their heads. It helps me understand the anger and threatening posture.
Yup, I suppose you're also familiar with Dark Matter's video?
What helps me understand religion is mythology and the use of symbols. Symbols of fire, giants, dragons and all that have specific meanings according to the region of where the myths originate. It puzzles me how people actually believe in most of this stuff that was never meant to be taken literally in the first place.

That, and a couple of the Tom Robbins books.
Took a classical mythology class once that spent a lot of time on ritual, and the concept of god inhabiting the ritual itself and reinforcing the mental god construct of the participant.
30-10-2013, 03:47 PM
I don't believe in the God that Evangelists speak of. I'm glad Grizzlysnake understands what I am trying to say. My father used to refer to it as inner spiritualism and we all have an inner spirit that pays no attention to the noisy trash of the troublesome ego. It's there, we just have to find it.
30-10-2013, 03:49 PM
PREACH IT BROTHA!

Thumbsup
30-10-2013, 05:42 PM
(30-10-2013 10:21 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  God IS you.

Reminds Girly of my first post here. I used to be an atheist. Good times. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
30-10-2013, 05:45 PM
(30-10-2013 03:47 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  I don't believe in the God that Evangelists speak of. I'm glad Grizzlysnake understands what I am trying to say. My father used to refer to it as inner spiritualism and we all have an inner spirit that pays no attention to the noisy trash of the troublesome ego. It's there, we just have to find it.

I get what you're saying. I just think it sounds a lot like what most people think of as the subconscious and that naming it "god" muddies the water.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
30-10-2013, 05:58 PM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2013 07:10 PM by GirlyMan.)
(30-10-2013 05:45 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(30-10-2013 03:47 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  I don't believe in the God that Evangelists speak of. I'm glad Grizzlysnake understands what I am trying to say. My father used to refer to it as inner spiritualism and we all have an inner spirit that pays no attention to the noisy trash of the troublesome ego. It's there, we just have to find it.

I get what you're saying. I just think it sounds a lot like what most people think of as the subconscious and that naming it "god" muddies the water.

But redefining consciousness itself as God I find quite clarifying in the sense of that which makes manifest or realizes reality. Chas hates it when I talk this way but he ain't provided a plausible alternative to what I see as the obvious implications of the Copenhagen Interpretation so Tongue .

30-10-2013, 06:14 PM
(30-10-2013 05:58 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(30-10-2013 05:45 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  I get what you're saying. I just think it sounds a lot like what most people think of as the subconscious and that naming it "god" muddies the water.

But redefining consciousness itself as God I find quite clarifying in the sense of that which manifests or realizes reality. Chas hates it when I talk this way but he ain't provided a plausible alternative to what I see as the obvious implications of the Copenhagen Interpretation so Tongue .

I suggest sanity as the alternative. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-10-2013, 06:27 PM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2013 08:23 PM by GirlyMan.)
(30-10-2013 06:14 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-10-2013 05:58 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  But redefining consciousness itself as God I find quite clarifying in the sense of that which manifests or realizes reality. Chas hates it when I talk this way but he ain't provided a plausible alternative to what I see as the obvious implications of the Copenhagen Interpretation so Tongue .

I suggest sanity as the alternative. Drinking Beverage

In Girly's experience, sanity is grossly overrated. Sanity is nothing more than a shared common delusion. Don't get me wrong, "Aye Trebek, I'll play your game." and work it to my advantage but that don't mean I believe or accept a lick of it. ... Actually I think I can play it even better this way. Tongue

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong. ... Neil Young's mutton chops for the muthafucking win. Big Grin

30-10-2013, 06:43 PM
(30-10-2013 06:27 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(30-10-2013 06:14 PM)Chas Wrote:  I suggest sanity as the alternative. Drinking Beverage

In Girly's experience, sanity is grossly overrated. Sanity is nothing more than a shared common delusion. I mean, "Aye, I'll play your game Trebek" and work it to my advantage but that don't mean I believe a lick of it. ... Actually I think I can play it even better this way. Tongue

'Zactly. Sanity is just camouflage, a protective coloring, keep these butterflies out of the net, off of the pin board. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post